Bug - Fixed Unable to open Main Interface without logging in, v14.2

nworbetan

I'm using WinXP SP3 (registered and updated) and JRE 1.6.0_21, and KoLmafia v14.2 doesn't open the Main Interface window without logging in. My workaround is to use v14.1 to write/debug .ash scripts when I'm not near a wifi hotspot. If there's any other info I can provide to help figure out what exactly is (or isn't) happening, let me know please.

philmasterplus

Er...what? Was it even possible to open the Main Interface without logging in? Or are you referring to the login window? Had I known that it was possible, debugging my scripts would have been much easier.

Theraze

Using the "Main" menu, you can launch the Graphical CLI without logging in. Still works fine for me with 14.2 though.

Bale

Minion
I'm also using WinXP SP3 and I have no problem opening the gCLI without logging in. (r8647)

I just choose Graphical CLI from the file menu and it opens up without any log on. nworbetan, do you use a different method to open the main window?

Winterbay

XP Professional, SP2 (for some obscure reason work has not updated to SP3) and it works just fine for me on r8647 as well. Also, great to know that this existed when I just want to verify a script and don't want to hit the kol servers to just log in and then log out again :)

nworbetan

Yeah, I am clicking Graphical CLI in the General (same place File usually is) drop-down.

I downloaded the 8647 build and put it in a folder all by itself, and that worked as expected. Then I copied the older 14.2 build to an empty new folder and tried it again, and that also worked from the new folder. So is this operator error after all? I thought I had read somewhere that dropping the new .exe into the same folder as a previous mafia version was supposed to be all that was needed when updating to a newer revision.

Bale

Minion
I thought I had read somewhere that dropping the new .exe into the same folder as a previous mafia version was supposed to be all that was needed when updating to a newer revision.

True. That has worked for me every time.

It is likely that you have a setting that is screwing you up. You're escaping the problem by creating a fresh install.

nworbetan

Working with fresh v14.2 and r8647 installs let me identify at least part of the issue: including a chat tab as part of the Main Interface window. It doesn't matter how I do it, either a) adding the "ChatManager" setting to the "initialDesktop=" property in the GLOBAL_prefs.txt file, or b) dragging and dropping "Loathing Chat" to the "Startup in Tabs" list in the preferences GUI, will generate the exact same debug log. The only difference between this attached debug log and the one generated by the v14.2 release is the KoLmafia version number in the header.

Then I copied the 14.2.exe and 8647.jar back into the old folder that I had been using with v14.1, and removed "ChatManager" from the "initialDesktop=" property line in the old GLOBAL_prefs.txt file. Now both v14.2 and r8647 are able to load the Main Interface window without logging in to the KoL server, and most importantly, without generating a debug log.

Sorry I couldn't include this in the OP, but better late than never, right?

Attachments

• DEBUG_20100930.txt
    4.2 KB · Views: 42

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Ha ha ha.

The recent update to check the altar of literacy (which obviously can't be done before you log in) means that you can't have the Chat frame as an initial frame.

I'll check in the easy fix.

I do wonder, though, what the point of refusing to initialize the chat frame is if you are not literate, considering that literate character can load the chat frame, then you log out but do not exit the program and log in with illiterate character B - and you still have the chat frame.

Edit: Revision 8651

Last edited: