Feature turn-free vs require in-a-boxes

I'm having trouble imagining what, if any, the difference is between these two checkboxes is. It seems to me that they both trigger the same behavior, leading to some confusion when people notice the existence of one box, but are unaware (forgivable) of the other (usually, "require in-a-boxes" as it's in a tab that is, in my experience, far less used than the Food/Booze/Spleen tabs).

On more than a few occasions I've had clannies ask why a certain item isn't showing up in their Manager when they had no problem crafting it manually through the interface, and it pretty much always comes down to this redundant button. I've brainstormed to think of a reason to have both boxes, but I haven't been able to come up with a single one.

Could someone explain a good (or any, really) reason why we should have both?

And, I suppose the actual "feature" would be, assuming there isn't a reason to have two unique buttons, to link the buttons to the same preference.

roippi

Developer
They're different, functionally. The "turn-free" checkbox is just a filter for the Food/Booze/Spleen tab. Require in-a-boxes forces all creations to use box servants, failing if one is not installed. This can be paired with the autoRepairBoxServants preference to automatically (re-)install box servants if one is not present or just blew up.

The issue is that the box servants checkbox is not a filter, but rather is linked to a preference that affects creation behavior. I'd propose replacing that checkbox with a turn-free filter, and moving the requireBoxServants checkbox to preferences. Or just removing the checkbox entirely (and making it a hidden preference) since I don't know how often people even use box servants nowadays.

So, if I understand correctly, the "require" boxes will stop mafia from making an item if the boxen aren't present, whereas the "turn-free" box only affects the -display- of what can be made?

I think then that there is some confusion by the fact that, with "require" checked, but off-screen, the "turn free" checkbox has -very- minimal effect (Wok items only?) on the list of items that can be created; such that saying "yes, mafia, I'm okay with spending turns PLEASE" mafia still says "these are the items you can make: not that item you want to make" and leaves the user stumped.

One might classify this problem as existing only between the keyboard and chair (since you -did- tell mafia not to make anything without boxen), but I still think it's slightly confusing.

Winterbay

I tend to use the chef-box in my lazy HC runs since Inigo is way too expensive most of the time and I hate mana-farming.

Nifft

I'd actually like to see the require-servants checkbox remain, as I toggle it quite often on that page depending on what sort of run / after-run I'm in.

~ Nifft

Ethelred

I'd actually like to see the require-servants checkbox remain, as I toggle it quite often on that page depending on what sort of run / after-run I'm in.

~ Nifft

I second this. Also often I want one setting and a multi needs a different one.

EDIT: And by often, I mean sometimes.

Last edited:

roippi

Developer

It won't stay on that page. I'll probably move it to the item acquisition tab in preferences.