Feature - Implemented Track ballroom opening progress

Bale

Minion
The bigger question is, do we really have a reason to allow choosing the bottom drawer manually through automation? Would it make more sense to just do Moxie/Ballroom Key as option one, and Enter Combat as option two? First choice would be have it run the top drawer first time, bottom drawer the second, and top drawer for everything after.

Just leave it as choice 2 when you get the key. Let a betweenBattleScript decide if it should be changed after getting the key.

Theraze

I'm leaving their settings as choice 2... the question is, if some newbie is running automation badly, do we want to allow them to throw away adventures with no potential benefit when there's a guaranteed safe adventure we could give them?

I don't want to screw with their settings, unless we change the 1/2/3 choice (moxie-step1/step2/combat) into a 1/2 (moxie-key/combat) choice...

Edit: I don't especially care for myself. I use BBB scripts and the like, so it's not going to hurt me. I'm just trying to make this less confusing for newbies. Best option would probably be changing it from three choices to two, but if we want to not change this, I'm fine with pulling those bits.

Edit2: Does anyone object to the choiceadventure for 85 having its setting changed from the current moxie-step1/step2/combat to moxie-step1-step2/combat? If there's objection, I won't do it. Don't know though why anyone would want to select between those two when automating, and it sort of screws with people wanting to choose their combat settings in an easy way, so... Wouldn't stop anyone using the relay browser, between battle scripts, conditions, or actually paying attention, just makes things potentially less confusing.

Last edited:

bumcheekcity

Has this patch been implemented? I get the following on a char ascended three days ago.

Code:
> get lastBallroomUnlock

> get lastSecondFloorUnlock

It may have been implemented recently, after I last opened the first drawer.

Bale

Minion
lastSecondFloorUnlock is when you open the stairs to the second floor. It has little to do with the drawer in the ballroom.

Theraze

No... the fact that lastBallroomUnlock was blank means it wasn't implemented. I think the patch is currently stuck waiting for an answer on if there's ever a time during automatic (non-relay) adventuring where you'd want to spend an adventure on the empty bottom drawer.

psly4mne

I think the patch is currently stuck waiting for an answer on if there's ever a time during automatic (non-relay) adventuring where you'd want to spend an adventure on the empty bottom drawer.
Really? No, there is no time you would even want to do that.

Theraze

Well, if we don't want it to do that, we have two major choices, with some little choices below.

One, leave it as 3 choices. Redirect further automatic adventures with choice 2 selected to the safe choice of 1, moxie, interpret based on predicted safe adventuring (where it attacks if it should be safe or moxies if it isn't), or interpret based on class, so that primestat moxie classes get moxie and other get the combat.

Two, change it to 2 choices. The first is moxie/key, the second is combat. The first would do the moxie first time, empty drawer (for key) the second, and go back to moxie following. The second just does combat every time.

Of the two major choices, I prefer the second, as you know exactly what's happening... people who want the key can set it as a goal, get it quickly, and move on. People who want combat know exactly what's going to happen. There's no chance of an unintended failed combat wasting an adventure or the like. The only time when this might be bad is if, for some reason, you don't want to unlock the Ballroom.

bumcheekcity

Option two is the best option, I think. Use the internal mafia variable lastBallroomUnlock to determine which one, and leave it available to scripts just in case they need it.

Theraze

Leave it available to scripts... do you mean to munge it so that it still saves as 1/2/3 (and would probably have to add a 4), but hides that there is actually a 1 and 2 and only saves that if someone has manually set it? Would probably require making a 4 that allows for having it choose which to do...

Alternatively, we could just make a 4th option that does that handling for us. 1 is top drawer, 2 is bottom drawer, 3 is enter combat, 4 is top/bottom drawer intelligently.

bumcheekcity

We'd effectively only need an on/off as we always know whether we have the ballroom key or not. Basically, we'd only need some way of testing whether we'd already dropped the ballroom key. lastBallroomKeyDrop = my_ascensions() would suffice.

Then we'd want the following options for the particular nightstand.
- Moxie Only (always drawer 1)
- Combat only (always drawer 3)
- Get Key, then Moxie (drawer 1 if we hadn't dropped the Ballroom key or had it in inventory, drawer 2 if we had dropped it but didn't have the key in inventory)
- Get Key, then Combat (drawer 1 if we hadn't dropped the Ballroom key, drawer 2 if we had dropped it but didn't have the key in inventory, drawer 3 if we have the key in inventory)

Those changes will surely satisfy every situation a potential scripter or general mafia user would come across. I would imagine that most people would simply set it to "Get Key, then Moxie" and set the key as a condition itself.

Rinn

Developer
I get why the four choices are there, but would anyone ever not want it set to either "get key, then combat" or "get key, then moxie"? I don't see a point to not getting the key.

bumcheekcity

I've used much stranger combinations of choiceadventures when testing scripts. Perhaps one theorieses that NOT having the key changes drops or effects or combat rate or something? I mean, in this case its old content and unlikely, but we may as well present the option if it's not a massive hassle for theraze, and if it is, then I suggest just "Get the key, then Moxie/Combat".

Theraze

Eh, yeah... in my case, it's just as easy whatever our results are. My initial thought was to do 1/2 as just moxie/key, and leave 3 untouched as combat... or possibly do 1 as moxie/key, and 2/3 as combat, while ignoring that people may have decided to waste the adventure for some reason. Then, because of the people talking about how they didn't want to do it as moxie, I threw out the possibility of a 4th option, so that any option could be done... if we wanted to, we could even do a 5th option... Allow for fully choiced optioning.

1 top
2 bottom
3 combat
4 top/bottom/top-repeating
5 top/bottom/combat-repeating

It doesn't really matter what we do. We just need to remember that since it's still the same choiceadventure number, whatever option we do WILL screw some people up unless the automation is either something done completely new (the 4/5 choices), or the option is something that won't screw anyone up (1/2 are moxie automation, 3 is combat automation, only 1/3 are visible now, if that's even easy to do...)

1 top
2 bottom
3 combat
4 top/bottom/top-repeating
5 top/bottom/combat-repeating

Those make sense to me. In general I think that the first choices should always exactly match those visible in the browser, even if some are not obviously useful. After that can come special "combo" options. As people can use an ascension script like Bale's newLife to set choices, there is no need for Mafia to automatically set 4/5 based on primestat == moxie or similar.

Theraze

Sounds good. If there are no objections, I'll plan on testing these tonight, and spinning up a new patch after verifying that it actually works as it should. :)

Theraze

I got distracted fixing my temple unlocking scripts and working on the combat defence settings and the like. I'll try to put this together next. :)

Edit: Now includes the following entries...
show in browser
moxie (ballroom key step 1)
empty drawer (ballroom key step 2)
enter combat
ballroom key and moxie
ballroom key and combat

Haven't gotten to test yet, but they should work. Also fixed the condition of wanting a ballroom key so it won't change your properties, just temporarily override your settings, so that if you're set to just want choice 3 (enter combat) and have a condition of a ballroom key, it should get the key first, then enter combat forevermore. Unless you want to confuse it horribly by doing something like +1 ballroom key, but that's your own fault.

Does this look okay, or do we need something else before I spin up a patch?

Last edited:

Theraze

Well, it had handling for that before... what it would do is set the choiceadv to 1 if it wasn't, to 2 if it was 1 already. Better though to have it run off of the variable and not actually change the choiceadventure setting. Don't want to hijack the people who want combat. :)

Anyways, here comes the patch. Fixes some other space/tab issues in the file, shouldn't screw up anything... as I said, I haven't gotten to test this yet, but my expectations are that it should work fully.

Attachments

• TrackBallroomKey.patch
    5 KB · Views: 22