The Unofficial Ascend.ash support thread.

Theraze

Does one of your characters have the fledges and others not? I find that sometimes, scripts get confused regarding which character has which equipment. Manually making a checkpoint, or completely closing (not just logging off) will usually fix this.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Excuse me if this is an entirely ridiculous question... I've had this package for about 6 months now, and have been frustrated with it for about 6 months. Is there a package with the modified scripts that will work mostly out of the box? I know I have to configure preferences, etc. But I just want to be able to use it! At the very least I want to be able to use the farm.ash script...
It depends what is frustrating you. The mechanical problems have been dealt with although I confess I have not made that easy to find. DL the zip attached here and eatDrink.ash from here. Unzip the zip into your scripts directory overwriting anything necessary. Then replace EatDrink with the latest one. That is out of three boxes but it "works". I have a character devoted to testing it and assurances from dj_d that he will incorporate "my" changes.

If you have more specific things that don't work, post here and I may be able to address it.

catatonicmonkey

Does one of your characters have the fledges and others not? I find that sometimes, scripts get confused regarding which character has which equipment. Manually making a checkpoint, or completely closing (not just logging off) will usually fix this.

The characters in question have both finished the main game and are farming in aftercore. One is level 24, the other is level 40. They both have fledges. The script simply doesn't try to equip them to adventure where they're needed.

halfvoid

The characters in question have both finished the main game and are farming in aftercore. One is level 24, the other is level 40. They both have fledges. The script simply doesn't try to equip them to adventure where they're needed.

The same thing happens in every zone that requires an outfit or item to be equipped to adventure there, not just the pirate zones. I don't think there's functionality built into farm.ash to accommodate that.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I think that is correct - outfit management is not explicitly handled. Mafia will equip the continuum transformer automagically and I would expect there is a presumption that the fledges or outfit would be equipped. I ran across the opposite problem - I had the elite guard uniform equipped and when the decision was made to level up in the lab it kept trying to shop. I have been focused on the Ascend portions but maybe I should try farm too.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
outfit_change.ash? For some weird reason i though this was an ascend.ash thread
Phew. Glad it's not something I am going to worry about. For the record the following are the Ascend scripts that as far as I know are only available to purchasers of the package:
  • Ascend Status.ash
  • Ascend.ash
  • dailygrind.ash
  • farm.ash
The following are dj_d scripts that are used by Ascend but available elsewhere:
  • BuyCrap.ash
  • EatDrink.ash
  • LevelUp.ash
  • PullCrap.ash
  • ver.ash
The following are zarqon scripts that are packaged with Ascend but available elsewhere:
  • canadv.ash
  • macguffin.ash
  • wossname.ash
  • zlib.ash

I am slowly gathering and testing pieces so that dj_d can make my work "official" with a new release. Above is subject to change but that is the list as I have it now.

Update:
It would seem that Dreamthief(?) chose to delete the posts that triggered this. The basic content was that Ascend was throwing an error about outfit_change.ash. outfit_change.ash is not an Ascend script and the problem was traced to multiple versions of macguffin.

Last edited:

icon315

This happened while running ascend.ash
Code:
Have 1 miner's helmet. Total needed is 1.
13 pulls remaining. Attempting to pull 1 miner's pants.
Have 1 miner's pants. Total needed is 1.
13 pulls remaining. Attempting to pull 1 pool cue.
Have 1 pool cue. Total needed is 1.
13 pulls remaining. Attempting to pull 1 dungeoneer's dungarees.
Have 1 dungeoneer's dungarees. Total needed is 1.
[COLOR="Red"]13 pulls remaining. Attempting to pull 6 goat cheese.
Have 0 goat cheese. Total needed is 6.
Pulling items from storage...
8 pulls remaining,0 budgeted for automatic use.
with pulling, got a total of 5
didn't get enough from pull.[/COLOR]

Why did it pull the goat cheese? i already did the Tr4pz0r's Quest....i could really have used those pulls

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Why did it pull the goat cheese? i already did the Tr4pz0r's Quest....i could really have used those pulls
Good question. I'll try and get an answer for you, but my initial guess is that PullCrap only looks at level and not whether something is needed or not.

icon315

Yeah, it's kind of annoying, because before it also pulled lots of stuff i didn't need anymore or have already

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
And also a check of the Trapper's state? (is pulling goat cheese even worth it? I mean, you miss out on possible goat's milk drops!)

icon315

also true....i might just remove the whole pulling process from the script. since I can make better pulling decisions

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Since the "offending" script is PullCrap and there is some possible user configuration, it might be worthwhile looking at what is pulled and when, and configuring Crap.txt. Might be more satisfactory than ripping things out and replacing them. OTOH Ascend is clearly not optimized for anything but automation, IMO.

icon315

Yeah i know. i'm not expecting to ascend in 2 days using this, but i still think decisions like this should be thought over by the script

Theraze

Just a note... earlier EatDrink posts have redirects to the next version as it came out, so that it's easy to follow what changes happened, etc... This didn't happen though for posts 40, 59, and 107. I know 107 is the newest, so it wouldn't have a redirect, but 59 would redirect there if updated, and 40 would redirect to 59... Or, y'know, the old files could just get removed or hope that people don't follow links to them or whatever... Just noticed it as I was rereading the whole thread for some bizarre reason today. :D

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Just a note... earlier EatDrink posts have redirects to the next version as it came out, so that it's easy to follow what changes happened, etc... This didn't happen though for posts 40, 59, and 107. I know 107 is the newest, so it wouldn't have a redirect, but 59 would redirect there if updated, and 40 would redirect to 59... Or, y'know, the old files could just get removed or hope that people don't follow links to them or whatever... Just noticed it as I was rereading the whole thread for some bizarre reason today. :D

I'm sure it makes sense to you, but I get the sense that I am bring asked to do something but can't figure out what. Maybe retry using words of three syllables or less? Not your fault. I'm especially dense today.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
PullCrap has some documentation on how to edit the Crap.txt file. It certainly seems to me that deleting goat cheese out of the file will keep it from pulling goat cheese - whether the quest has been undertaken or not. I think a smarter pull strategy will probably require significant rework.

Theraze

Post 1 points to the newest EatDrink script file, found in post 107. See Post 1:
Update: Latest version of EatDrink is here.

Post 9 though, the first update, links to post 17, like this:
UPDATE: This isn't the version of EatDrink you are looking for. Try here.

Post 17 links to post 40 like so:
Update: This isn't the version of EatDrink you are looking for. This is.

What I was asking about was, posts 40 and 59 don't have link tips, they're just there. It's not NEEDED, per se, but if people linked to those in other posts, could have people download the wrong one and complain it doesn't work right.

And I think I hid all three segment words. :) More messy and harder to read, but at least the words are short. ;)

tgetgel

PullCrap has some documentation on how to edit the Crap.txt file. It certainly seems to me that deleting goat cheese out of the file will keep it from pulling goat cheese - whether the quest has been undertaken or not. I think a smarter pull strategy will probably require significant rework.

Agree, but lacking that, perhaps a guide would be of assistance for when to modify crap.txt during a run. Milestone based? Complete this, then change this.
I suppose a between battle script could be used to replace crap.txt with another file that has the updates based on the previous adventure. This would require the creation of a number of files that match the states and conditions. This could be numerous files. Do yiou then have to refresh the scripts to recognize the new .txt file?

Theraze

Better would probably be having it check the individual pull when you get to that quest... if, at the point of talking to the Hermit, you want to pull the cheese, it does. Then and only then.

If the item is needed during a combat, the pull check can be done at the step before that... when you beat your shadow, if you still need WAND and don't have, either pull or abort script depending on settings, don't fight the NS and fail...