New Content - Implemented The return of formerly extinct monsters

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Since we are getting a lot of previously removed monsters via the "play PHYLUM" mechanism of this item, it's a great opportunity to add monster numbers and stats and such that were previously unknowable. I've submitted two Mob Penguins, for example.

There is (at least) one issue, however: there are now two Astronomers. There is no way we can disambiguate from the fight page which one it is - unless you get an unexpected factoid at the end of the battle. But, for the purpose of Manuel trackers (and presumably Faxbots, depending on how they are coded) - we should have both Astronomers in our monster database.

Suggestions for what to call the second one? Astronomer (2), perhaps? (does the second Astronomer also drop the bounty item?)

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Astronomer (2) sounds fine to me. I'm doubtful that the second astronomer drops the bounty item.

Similarly, there is a Mob Penguin Goon and a Mob Penguin goon. Since ASH is case-insensitive, maybe adding the crimbo year to each of them would be adequate?

Yendor

Mafia doesn't appear to have the monsters from Halloween 2008, and at least one has shown up in the deck. Somewhat speculative data:
Code:
mutant gila monster	728	mutantgila.gif	P: beast
mutant rattlesnake	726	mutantsnake.gif	P: beast
mutant saguaro	727	mutantcactus.gif	Scale: 5 Cap: 500 Init: -10000	P: plant
swarm of mutant fire ants	729	mutantants.gif	P: bug
They have drops (beholed bedsheet, invisible bag, witch hat) but I'm not sure of the drop mechanic.

Provocateur elf is number 896, fudge vulture is 1118, fudge oyster is 1119. The oyster and vulture are both beasts. Rock homunculus is also a beast, and has 40 HP. The elves from Crimbo 2009 are, obviously, elves.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
The monsters are available because of the Deck of Every Card - but other than that, they have nothing to do with the deck per se; we don't need to change our support for the Deck in order to accommodate new monsters.

I split various posts into this thread to deal with issues relating to monsters, so that we can, eventually, mark the other New Content thread as Implemented.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
In addition to the extinct Astronomer, there is also a Skeletal Sommelier and a Mimic.
Perhaps we could use "(original)" to tag the original versions.

Bale

Minion
I think that "original" is a matter of opinion. For instance, the obsolete Astronomer is just as old as the current Astronomer. Both of them are originals. The difference is that one was removed from the game when Jick developed better tools for controlling monster frequency that did not require two copies of the same monster. The obsolete Skeletal Sommelier is also one of the original Skeletal Sommeliers. I have no idea why we have an obsolete Mimic.

On the other hand, "obsolete" is pretty clear to which it refers.

Bale

Minion
Wow. That was a LONG time ago. I didn't join until three months after that revamp.

It's interesting to learn that the mimic from that time was not re-purposed as one of the three mimics that were in the zone after the revamp.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I see this in monsters.txt:

Toy-making creature from the Gray Lagoon

I'll fax it in tomorrow and collect its factoids and will take a look at what KoL's capitalization is in Manuel...

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
OK, good enough. I bet all of the ones from that event are similar and were added back when we capitalized monsters, regardless of what KoL sid.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
OK, good enough. I bet all of the ones from that event are similar and were added back when we capitalized monsters, regardless of what KoL sid.
Actually, I'm going to wait on changing the others until we can check on the capitalization, eventually. We have "Cookie-baking Thing from Beyond Time", the Wiki claims it is "cookie-baking Thing from Beyond Time", but, who knows?

I fixed the capitalization for the toy-making creature, but we are still missing the monster id # - and the Scale factor. I will still fax it in tomorrow; I have 7 to go (from the current public faxbots), and I may as well do this one first...

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I moved this series of posts over to the thread where we are discussing formerly extinct monsters.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I will confirm that during my 2nd (and later) battles with the toy-making creature, Manuel showed attack = 1, defense = 0, and hp ~= 55, so 0/0/55 seems right, strange as that seems. The Wiki claims it scales. Perhaps it did at the time and KoL's internal way to mark that was attack=0 & def=0, but they have since changed their mechanism and the old monster was not updated to use the new mechanism.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Riff added a whole mess of factoids, it seems, and we can expect lots more obsolete monsters to show up. I see in Faustbot:

mutant circuit-soldering elf
mutant cookie-baking elf

and

zombie Gnollish crossdresser.

That last one is fascinating; not only do we not have it in monsters.txt, we don't have the adventuring zone it came from in adventures.txt/combats.txt

Bale

Minion
That last one is fascinating; not only do we not have it in monsters.txt, we don't have the adventuring zone it came from in adventures.txt/combats.txt

Whoa! None of the Seaside Town, 28 Days Later areas were ever added to KoLmafia? Was that before KoLmafia was written? If we're going to get more zombie monsters from that era then we'll need to add the areas.

Pretty much everything I know about the event comes from the wiki. I'll save whomever is willing to add this stuff some trouble looking it up by condensing relevant info here.

Market Square, 28 Days Later
snarfblat = 88
environment (probably) = outdoors
  • drunken zombie half-orc hobo
  • fiendish zombie can of asparagus
  • zombie Gnollish crossdresser
  • Zombie Knob Goblin Assistant Chef
  • zombie yeast beast

The Mall of Loathing, 28 Days Later
snarfblat = 89
environment (probably) = indoors
  • white zombie
  • zombie apathetic lizardman
  • Zombie Clown
  • zombie frat boy
  • zombie hippy
  • zombie zmobie

Wrong Side of the Tracks, 28 Days Later
snarfblat = 90
environment (probably) = outdoors
  • scary pirate
  • Zombie eXtreme Snowbarding Orc
  • Zombie Goth Giant
  • Zombie N00b
  • Zombie Quiet Healer

I think we should wait on adding monster stats until someone actually gets it through the deck so it can be properly spaded. There's no way we can verify the location environment, but it should be okay to add my guesses.

Last edited: