Bug - Not A Bug Store price change exception

lorddave

I'm unable to change prices in the Store Manage interface.
Attempting to do so produces a NullPointerException, and renders the text entry boxes unresponsive.

This occurs even with a new install of KoLmafia (all data removed before launching).
I've been noticing this behavior for many months now, but have worked around it with the native Store Manager.

KoLmafia v15.9 r12116, Mac OS X, Java 1.6.0_43

Attachments

• DEBUG_20130515.txt
    3.5 KB · Views: 50

roippi

Developer
You need to describe the exact steps you're taking in detail, since you are somehow doing something that no other user of the store manager is doing.

Theraze

Yeah... from when you posted, it says that some value changed and it was trying to render a number and... null pointer. Meaning that however you're updating prices may be... weird.

As roippi said, exact steps you're taking. Store Manager as a tab or window? What object are you changing? Which clicks and keys are you pressing to cause this?

For that matter, have you tried emptying the store and adding in a few items and seeing if it still happens? Possible that the issue is some weird object that nobody else really cares about... :)

lorddave

Sorry for the vague steps, I was rather hoping I might have a red-flag Java version or something.

1.) Access Store Manager via icons (new window or tab)
2.) In Price Setup tab, double click the price of any item (e.g. Beefy Fish Meat - 2,700) to make it editable
3.) Type in the new price (e.g. 2699), push save
4.) ERROR (price is not updated)

The text entry boxes also behave erratically, and will sometimes get stuck in the text-entry mode but not accept any input.
I'm actually having trouble reproducing consistent behavior. Sometimes if I change a price, then hit the "price analysis" arrow, it'll update. Sometimes the first change I make goes through.

Emptying my store and adding a single Divine Champagne Popper doesn't fix anything.
Are they any general debugging hints more in-depth than what's listed in the "before you post" thread?

roippi

Developer
What happens if you just click somewhere random within the table area to stop cell editing? Any error?

lorddave

If I double-click twice on a second price cell, the first one goes green and I get into edit mode on the second. From there it's locked into edit mode on the second item until I close the Store Manager, and trying to save throws the error.
There are never any error messages until I hit the "save prices" button, and it's always the same one found in the log.

roippi

Developer
Single-clicking in the table (not anywhere in the frame, specifically somewhere in the table) should stop cell editing and "turn it green." Does it not?

lorddave

It does not.
On further exploration this morning, it looks like it actually takes 4 clicks anywhere on the table to stop cell editing.
Once a second cell is in edit mode, it's stuck that way.

roippi

Developer
There's probably not a whole lot I can do since that's indicative of your java swing being broken. Negotiating the opening and closing of editors is handled by things that our code hasn't changed, so if it's broken for you and not others...

Can a different mac user confirm that their store manager table cell editor works properly? i.e. behaves like I said in post #7?

Ethelred

Can a different mac user confirm that their store manager table cell editor works properly? i.e. behaves like I said in post #7?

I'm using MacOS X 10.6.8, Mafia r12116, and java version "1.6.0_37" and the store manager works properly as you said in post #7 for me. I don't usually use the store manager though.

roippi

Developer
I'm using MacOS X 10.6.8, Mafia r12116, and java version "1.6.0_37" and the store manager works properly as you said in post #7 for me. I don't usually use the store manager though.

Thank you. I assumed that lorddave was not the first mac user in 1+ years or whatever to use the store manager, but it's helpful to have a sanity check.

@lorddave: are you running the default look & feel? Are you running the default JRE?

If yes to both, try uninstalling/reinstalling your JRE. I don't have many ideas outside of that.

lorddave

Default look & feel, default JRE as far as I'm aware.
Reinstalling JRE 1.6 on a Mac looks like a tricky process that I'm likely to screw up and break everything. I think I'll just live with it and do my price updates manually.
Thanks for indulging my weird issue.

roippi

Developer
Sorry I can't help further. If it's reproducible on all macs we would have somewhere to go, but if specific to just your system...

I'll leave the thread open in case someone else has the same issue.

There might be some additional things you could do to try to narrow down the error further, such as:

* create a new user account on your mac, login to that user, start KoLmafia, configure it for your KoL account (i.e. enter username and password), login to KoL and check if the price manager behaves properly. You can delete the second mac user account afterwards, of course.
* try the same, but with a KoL multi (that owns a mall store), if you have any

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
My two guesses are 1) java per-user configuration settings or 2) Mafia config settings. The second one is obviously easier to fix (just replace or delete the settings files).

lorddave

Which is why they already tried that, at least according to their first post.

Yep, totally fresh install of Mafia still bugs out on my normal Mac user account.
At this point it's pretty clear that this is an issue with my personal Java environment that I'd need to solve with some manner of reinstall.
Thanks again for the debugging assistance.