New Content - Implemented Spleen items are now A Thing internally

Bale

Minion
February 08
Spleen items are now A Thing internally. As such, their descriptions will now be more descriptive.

There are only two things that this actually changes for KoLmafia
  1. Spleen items now have quality like food and drink! So it would be good to add the color of their quality to their name in the Spleen item manager, just as we do for food and drink.
  2. The other thing is that when parsing a new spleen item, its spleen "toxicity" is displayed in the item description.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
This is a bigger change than that. Used to be, spleen items were categorized as "usable" by KoL. We would mark them as "usable" or "multiple", and kept the spleen effects in spleenhit.txt. Now, KoL categorizes them as "spleen item" - and we should follow suit and mark such items as "spleen" - or "spleen, usable" (if the default is use multiple and this one is single use) or "spleen, multiple" (if the default is single and this one is multusable).

We keep spleenhit.txt - just as we have fullness.txt and inebriety.txt. All three files already have a column for "quality", and adding the qualities to spleen items will automatically make them display in the correct colors, I believe.

And then make "checkitems" and the new-item registration code parse the new format and generate the new formats.

And finally, do a full "checkitems" to generate the data files with the changes, and voila! It is done.

It's a project. Not huge, but not trivial. Unless somebody steps up and says "I'm doing it", I'll start it in a few hours.

Good thing they didn't add more data to item descs - like "Restores 8-12 MP" or "Restores all HP" to restoratives. That would be more stuff we'd need to parse and use for our data files.

Oh. Wait. They did that too. ;)

That deserves a different New Content thread.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Revision 15385 should do it. This was a big change, so there just might be some bugs...

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
...such as the fact that inv_spleen.php is now a thing, too.
Which makes spleen items a thing externally, too.
Revision 15386.

Using a spleen item currently isn't working. KoLmafia thinks the item was consumed, but it actually isn't, as KoL helpfully tells you when you check your inventory.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Works perfectly for me in revision 15386, submitted 2+ hours before you made that report, as you can see if you look at the post just above yours.

I suggest that you update.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I notice that "use" links for spleen items in the relay browser are not working correctly.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Revision 15387 should make use links for spleen items work as well as before.

Let me know ASAP if there are other issues with this; I think the shop changes and spleen items warrant an emergency point release - five days before the new path. Sigh.

I'm going to bed, and will not check until tomorrow morning, so there is time for you-all to test and chime in. :)

With the use link fix this now works as it should. Using a spleen item from the relay browser works, as does using one from KoLmafia's Item Manager (which didn't in an earlier build, but works now). I'd say this is fully fixed as far as I can tell.

Wait. Using more than one spleen item at once is still broken, at least from KoLmafia's item manager. Using one at a time works right.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Describe "broken".

- I selected "twinkly wad" in the Item Manager
- I clicked on the the "Use" button
- It popped up a dialog asking me how many to use - with 15, the max, prefilled
- I accepted the 15.
- KoLmafia submitted a single request to KoL: inv_spleen.php?pwd&whichitem=1450&ajax=1&quantity=15
- KoL then responded like this in the gCLI:

Code:
You chew the wad until the flavor runs out.
You gain 1 Adventure.
You gain 9 Fortitude.
You gain 9 Mysteriousness.
You gain 9 Smarm.
You acquire an effect: Aspect of the Twinklefairy (duration: 10 Adventures)
and then...
... repeated 14 more times. (That's definitely a change; it used to sum up the effect of multiusing wads, but now it does them one at a time. But, that's a KoL change: we still do it with a single server hit.)
- At which point, the green sidepane said that I had used 15 Spleen.

As I said, I did the above from the Item Manager.

It's really not helpful to just say "X is broken". Please tell me this:

- I did X
- I expected Y to happen.
- Instead Z happened.

The specific case of multi using groose grease was what I was trying to report as not working. KoLmafia simply reported that it used the items, with no stats, adventures or effects reported. It seems the link changed to [use some] for this item.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I have a Groose and can use it in Standard. I will collect groose grease and see what KoL says about it.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
It seems the link changed to [use some] for this item.
I have no idea what this means. Where is "the link" that "changed"?

- I just collected three groose grease.
- I looked at them in the Relay Browser in inventory.
- I see [use] - going to inv_spleen.php?whichitem=5379&which=1&pwd
- I see [use some] - going to inventory.php# as before. In other words, it will pop up a little dialog to ask you how many

Now, earlier, you specifically said "Using more than one spleen item at once is still broken, at least from KoLmafia's item manager." Which is to say, you specifically said you were using the GUI, not the Relay Browser to consume them, which means that whatever "use some" link KoL itself provides on the Relay Browser is not relevant, is it? Therefore, I will consume my groose grease from the Item Manager, to agree with what you reported.

So, I used 3 groose grease and it submitted

multiuse.php?whichitem=5379&ajax=1&quantity=3

Which did not work. Fine. I can work with this. I don't understand why it didn't do the same thing it does with twinkly wads, but I'll figure it out.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
You mean, just like twinkly wads have an effect, not just adventures?
No.

Unfortunately, sourceforge is not letting me connect to the repository at the moment, so I cannot update in Eclipse and debug this.
Later.

r15387. Not just groose grease. I experienced this multi-use issue with antimatter wads, homeopathic mint tea and powdered gold. I was using the item manager - usable - spleen queue, queuing n of an item (n = 6, 2, or 3), rather than queuing several instances of single items - didn't try that. The session log just says "Use 3 powdered gold", for example, and then nothing. I then went to KOL inventory in the relay browser and used individual items from there.

I'm a little fuzzier on this part: even though the multi-use failed, the items were removed from KoLMafia inventory. The unused items did not reappear after refreshing inventory.

When one of these spleen items was acquired from the mall (antimatter wad) or from the chateau bed (homeopathic mint tea), the following message was logged (example): "homeopathic mint tea is multiusable, but KoLmafia thought it was not". This message only appeared the first time the item was acquired in the session.

Log for using 1 smithereens and 2 mint teas in the queue, followed by 2 single uses from KOL inventory:
Code:
use 2 homeopathic mint tea

use 1 handful of Smithereens
You gain 2 Adventures
You acquire an effect: Smithsness Presence (duration: 100 Adventures)

use 1 homeopathic mint tea
You gain 2 Adventures
You acquire an effect: Alpine Mintiness (duration: 50 Adventures)

use 1 homeopathic mint tea
You gain 2 Adventures
You acquire an effect: Alpine Mintiness (duration: 50 Adventures)

I'm out of spleen until after rollover. If still needed by then I can try to get a debug log.

kotharno

Item Manager and Handfuls of Smithereens

Using 2 from item manager succeeded in nothing but falsely showing use in mafia.

Checking my inventory showed them still there, even though I M had showed them deducted.

This occurred on 2 consecutive days.

Bale

Minion
We currently have a problem with multi-using spleen items due to the recent KoL change. We know about this and are trying to fix it. Hopefully when sourceforge allows Veracity to commit the change she already wrote up it will be fixed.

I've merged your report into the "New Content" thread for KoL's changes to spleen items.

Last edited: