Feature - Implemented Song of the Glorious Lunch needs "milk-like" protections

Darzil

Developer
Feature request (want it here or seperately?):

If you have Song of Glorious Lunch, but insufficient turns of it for what you are about to eat, prompt with "Are you sure message" ? (ala Milk / Ode)

I keep forgetting, and ending up not gaining as many turns as I'd like.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I moved it to a separate thread, since it requires more discussion. It's more complicated than it looks, and if we do it wrong, there will be outrage. :)

In Hardcore Axecore (HardAxe?), Glorious Lunch can simply replace Milk handling. That is straightforward - and is all that I, personally, will ever see or be able to test prior to the single L30 SC Axecore run I will eventually do to get my 29th Boris Point and the trophy.

In Softcore, this is potentially trickier.

- Like Ode, this is an effect you can cast yourself. Our check for Ode will "Cast Ode automatically if you have enough mana, when you are out of Ronin/HC", according to the code. Do we want that for this effect?

- Glorious Lunch stacks with Milk. Do you want TWO prompts? Again, we currently only check for milk if you either have some in inventory or are out of Ronin. In Ronin, you have to manage your own pulls to have some milk available before we nag.

roippi

Developer
- Like Ode, this is an effect you can cast yourself. Our check for Ode will "Cast Ode automatically if you have enough mana, when you are out of Ronin/HC", according to the code. Do we want that for this effect?

I'd say match ode's behavior.

- Glorious Lunch stacks with Milk. Do you want TWO prompts? Again, we currently only check for milk if you either have some in inventory or are out of Ronin. In Ronin, you have to manage your own pulls to have some milk available before we nag.

Since it's informational, I'd go with one prompt that combines the two nags if appropriate. Having recently looked at this code, this is of course nontrivial. We have separate prompts for Turns Will Run Out versus You Forgot To Use One...

And this gets more complicated if the user wants preferences to enable one nag but not the other.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
10 MP is a bit trivial in softcore. I can't imagine anyone with the skill not wanting to be reminded about Glorious Lunch there. Anyone that doesn't want to spend 10 MP probably isn't going to bother using milk. A single prompt, even if it only mentions GL when both apply, seems like it would be best.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Revision 10652 adds a check for Glorious Lunch to the existing check for milk. If you are out of ronin in softcore or have milk in inventory, you will potentially have two nags. You can say "go ahead" to either and not get nagged about that effect for the duration of the session.

This is obviously not done yet. I'd like to do the autocasting for SC and, perhaps, combine two nags into one. But this is all I have time for, right this second, so I'll leave this open and come back later. I think what's there now will be useful to a lot of people without being TOO irritating, I hope.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
One issue with auto-casting is that Song of the Glorious Lunch is a Boris Song. You can only have one of those at a time, and casting one will automatically remove the other. I try to eat a Glorious Lunch either when my other song has run out or it is time to switch it anyway.

Theraze

One little issue with this is that it warns on steel lasagna, even though it doesn't gain anything from the Glorious Lunch.