Feature - Rejected Some add'l ASH functions for limited chat interaction?

gulaschkanone

Now that the bug that allowed one to throw arbitrary messages into chat is fixed (and I couldn't find a trivial way to circumvent the fix), may I humbly request some more chat-related functions to replace the, in my opinion, reasonable usages for that capability?

1. boolean [string] who_channel(string)
Before, I could throw "/<chan> /who" at the server and quite easily parse the names out of the response. There are a bunch of functions that sorta-kinda allow you to throw /who at chat, like void chat_macro(string), but those seem all to have no return value (as well as some blocking after you mistype and make it fire a message into chat >_>) The exploit no longer working breaks a script I wrote for a clannie who placed a bounty on it, so I'd hate that to no longer work. Since there is already "boolean [string] who_clan( )", I'd assume implementation of this to be trivial. Use case for this'd be doing wacky stuff like throwing warbear procedural hilarity drones at the inhabitants of a channel, which is what another clannie's script does.

2. void chat_talkie(string)
I also used this exploit for logging fun and interesting (for certain definitions of those words) statistics about my Weirdeaux combats into a talkie channel. Since talkie chans are, for all intents and purposes, private, sending messages into those shouldn't be any more abusable than chat_clan is. Similiar to above, implementation would seem like no big trouble to the casual observer. That's me.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Regardless of the validity of these requests, I'm inclined to reject this because it's you asking for these things. Between (from your profile)
[08:51] bmaher: i'm 100% serious, i plan to update mafia to make what you're doing impossible
[08:51] bmaher: because it's already supposed to be impossible

a mafia haxor is me!
(which wasn't enough on its own to make you stop spamming other chat channels) and your lack of concern about abusing KoL bugs. (For anyone wondering about the latter, none of my knowledge about that came from /dev, but the bug is now fixed.)

Last edited: