Feature - Rejected Smut Orc Logging Camp Fails to Count Bridge Parts

LordAo

If you untinker the abridged dictionary, Mafia doesn't check for a bridge and use it on the chasm first before determining the total number of pieces needed to complete the quest.

Given the number of turns saved, ideally it would offer to buy the unabridged dictionary (if the cove is accessible) from the store and use it.

As it stands currently, I have to manually equip the pirate outfit, buy the bridge, untinker it, click on the chasm, then return to Mafia to have it gather the rest from the Smut Orc Logging Camp.

Or I have to gather 30 pieces even though I have a bridge in inventory. Not having it count the bridge is a bug, whereas having it buy a bridge would be a feature request, but I'm combining both for simplicity's sake.

Also, while it counts up to 30 "any plank" this doesn't necessarily mean the character has 30 appropriate "fasteners" and so the bridge is incomplete. Mafia stops counting and manual control is required to collect the remaining "fasteners"

Finally, Mafia fails to use the smut orc keepsake box if in inventory to speed up the quest.

Capture.JPG

Cheers.

Last edited:

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
What are you doing? I think you're telling mafia to auto-adventure and setting a goal. I'll change this to a Feature request, and I expect someone else will change it to Rejected.

LordAo

Mafia already has a goal of "30 any plank" but that doesn't guarantee anything. It's not counting items that are already planks, and it's not using items in inventory that can create planks.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
The only thing I would possibly change is to remove that goal (but I'm sure people want it around for lazy automation). I guess it's useful for lazy automation, but it's never going to do what you want.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
We have had complaints about that goal previously. Look at this one. I tried to do something with that but ended up getting frustrated and moving on with my life. I don't automate in-run, and therefore would never, ever use that goal, and it became less and less fun to try to deal with it.

And here is a related thread.

Perhaps we should just merge this thread into the first one.

I, too, was tempted to just remove that goal.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
FWIW I use the 30 planks enough that I'd rather have it there than have to remember to type x planks. However if enough people are bothered by the fact that 30 is usually an approximation then let's delete it.

That said, it seems to me that "Cross the Chasm" might be appropriate for a built in KoLmafia "script". Folks who wanted to do it KoLmafia's way could opt in and use it and everyone else is as they are today. I'd actually consider looking at that as a dev but I would want to start from a working and well received ash script. That may identify information that mafia doesn't know or is not making available and it certainly makes alternative strategies testable without changing code.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I'm more likely to favor removing existing built-in quest automation than adding more quest automation, when it comes to things that can involve interesting decisions (thinking of the Tavern quest in particular).

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I'm more likely to favor removing existing built-in quest automation than adding more quest automation, when it comes to things that can involve interesting decisions (thinking of the Tavern quest in particular).

I suppose I should play the game more and see what the Tavern decisions are :)

I am unlikely to do anything unless there is a script so we are a long way from adding more quest automation.

I have wondered whether the following was a good or a bad idea: write ash scripts that duplicate the existing KoLmafia quest functionality, replace the KoLmenu calls with a call to a specific ash script and then the OCD user could edit the script. Obvious issue is how to handle updates and local edits since such scripts pretty much would have to be a resource bundled with KoLmafia. I can also see adding preferences for example, tavernScript. If the preference is not set you get the existing behavior. If it is set then the KoLmafia tavern quest will redirect to the script instead of running the internal code. And yes, tavern is a bad example since there actually are three flavors.

Bale

Minion
I suppose I should play the game more and see what the Tavern decisions are :)

ML and NC mostly. You reduce combat rate because each non-combat in the zone has an option to make it turnless if you also have +20 of a certain elemental damage. Alternately, you will want to boost ML because it increases the chance of encountering a Rat King which will always drop a tangle of rat tails (making the tomb quest faster), but only if you actually have a combat encounter.

My preference is to keep up the combat rate until I have one tangle of rat tails and only then do I drop combat rate to reduce the turn count of the remaining cellar.

I have wondered whether the following was a good or a bad idea: write ash scripts that duplicate the existing KoLmafia quest functionality, replace the KoLmenu calls with a call to a specific ash script and then the OCD user could edit the script. Obvious issue is how to handle updates and local edits since such scripts pretty much would have to be a resource bundled with KoLmafia.

SVN.

Last edited:

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
My preference is to keep up the combat rate until I have one tangle of rat tails and only then do I drop combat rate to reduce the turn count of the remaining cellar.

If you can actually manage +20 in all four elements, then you want to max NC (using all non-limited resources that won't affect +ML at least). If you get "too many" noncombats, you can always keep looking for rat kings after completing the quest, which is either the same or better than not getting those skippable noncombats in the first place.

If you can't get +20 of all four elements, then the math is complicated enough that I don't bother spending much time thinking about it.

Bale

Minion
Once upon a time +20 in all elements was tough. Now there's the DNA Lab which makes it quite reasonable. (Plant DNA for +20 Cold Damage in the Spooky Forest and all others are plentiful although I get +25 stench from Lapdog since it also gives me +ML.) For the lazy there's the Sockdollager.

If you can actually manage +20 in all four elements, then you want to max NC (using all non-limited resources that won't affect +ML at least). If you get "too many" noncombats, you can always keep looking for rat kings after completing the quest, which is either the same or better than not getting those skippable noncombats in the first place.

That is an argument in favor of automation. There are no choices to make once you get up your buffs. Just boost NC, ML and +20 Prismatic.

Last edited:

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
There's still handling combat, which isn't trivial with the +ML you want for that quest. As great as all of the combat automation scripts posted on this forum are, most people using the dropdown to automate a quest probably wouldn't know they exist.