New Content - Implemented Should plant beanstalk by clicking on grounds rather than "using" enchanted bean

muczachan

Should plant beanstalk by clicking on grounds rather than "using" enchanted bean

As we all know, one needs an enchanted bean to create beanstalk. Kolmafia used to help by automatically using it after clicking on the coffee grounds in Nearby Plains full of garbage.

This breaks in BHY, since now, vanilla KoL www interface plants the bean (if you have it) automatically upon clicking on the coffee ground mound (per May 14th trivial update, confirmed by me today).

I believe the offending code section is in KoLAdventure.java, line 668, unfortunately I have no idea how to check for this user request and remove bean from inventory afterwards.

Last edited:

Winterbay

Why does it break BHY? You can use the enchanted bean just fine (I tried it yesterday at level 5 and got beaten up, so I know it is considered an important enough item to let you use it) so it should not be a problem if Mafia auto-uses the bean, or?

slyz

Developer
Mafia could let KoL plant the bean when you click on the coffee ground mound, instead of using the been before passing on the request to KoL. Getting beaten up in-run can hurt, especially when it can easily be avoided.

muczachan

Why does it break BHY? You can use the enchanted bean just fine (I tried it yesterday at level 5 and got beaten up, so I know it is considered an important enough item to let you use it) so it should not be a problem if Mafia auto-uses the bean, or?

Every time I clicked on the mound or tried to use it from the inventory I got the information that it is not considered important enough. I have just checked the session log and I can see 3 entries with my tries "use 1 enchanted bean" among clicking on the trash to see if these requests get transferred back to KoL ("plains.php?place=tube").

muczachan

Apparently TPTB changed a few things between then and now and enchanted beans (also IotM foldables with 'b') are now usable, though painfully. Not a bug, anymore. (And I did not imagine all of this, phew.)

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I got to level 10 today, having ascended into BeeCore a couple days ago. I clicked around on the plains and I see this in my session log:

plains.php?place=peel
plains.php?place=cheese
plains.php?place=fish
plains.php?place=fork
plains.php?place=cans
plains.php?place=tube
plains.php?place=tomato
plains.php?place=grounds
When I did that last one, KoL planted the bean for me.

I do not remember KoLmafia ever automatically getting and using a bean when you clicked on the coffee grounds. They didn't used to be clickable. The code in KoLAdventure you point out is for automated adventuring - when you select the Airship in the GUI and tell KoLmafia to go there.

1) KoLmafia should click on the grounds to plant the bean, rather than "using" it, since that will work regardless of path
2) KoLmafia should detect when clicking on the grounds makes the beanstalk grow (even in Relay Browser) and remove the bean from inventory in that case.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Mafia could let KoL plant the bean when you click on the coffee ground mound, instead of using the been before passing on the request to KoL.
KoLmafia has never had code to "plant an enchanted bean" before "passing on the request to KoL" for the Relay Browser. Only for automation.

Every time I clicked on the mound or tried to use it from the inventory I got the information that it is not considered important enough. I have just checked the session log and I can see 3 entries with my tries "use 1 enchanted bean" among clicking on the trash to see if these requests get transferred back to KoL ("plains.php?place=tube").
See above comment. My guess is that KoL itself had a link to use the bean attached to the image of the coffee grounds, and when KoLmafia saw that request being submitted, it translated it into a "use enchanted bean" request for the purpose of the session log. It was NOT KoLmafia creating and submitting that request.

Apparently TPTB changed a few things between then and now ...
Apparently so. As I noted above, when I clicked on the coffee grounds, KoL did not attempt to "use" an enchanted bean and KoLmafia did not detect and log such an attempt. The bean was simply consumed and the beanstalk appeared.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Revision 9327 opens the beanstalk - when automating - by getting a bean and clicking on the coffee grounds, rather than using it.
Revision 9328 gives you a "plant" link when you get an enchanted bean which clicks on the grounds, rather than a "use" link which uses it.
Revision 9329 removes an enchanted bean from inventory when you click on the coffee grounds and plant a beanstalk.

Only the second one has been tested; I have no characters currently in a position to test the others.

Last edited: