Bug Semirare counters not being saved

Theraze

Normally, I expect my semirare window counters to be saved between sessions. Lately, mafia has been eliminating them. This might be related to 11725 and 11726, where Fortune Cookie counters were being reset as well.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I at a fortune cookie on day 1 of my current ascension and picked up the semirare on day 2 (today), so it's working properly for me.

Theraze

Fortune cookie counters are currently saved, semirare counters are not. It's made me generally stop with 20-40 turns left at rollover so I don't end up changing from FC to SR counters when my appetite is full.

roippi

Developer
Are you talking about the semirare window counters then?

Are they properly generated when you get a semirare, but just aren't saved? Or...?

edit: and it is not related to 11725 or 11726, because the latter reverted the former. 11727 explicitly only affects the fullness and spleen preferences, so that's not it either.

Last edited:

Bale

Minion
I can not replicate this.

1. I just logged into a test character and adventured until I got a semi-rare.
  2. "Semirare window begin" and "Semirare window end" counters acquired!
  3. I then logged out and quit mafia.
  4. Restarted mafia and logged into the same character
  5. I still have my "Semirare window begin" and "Semirare window end" counters.

Theraze, if that is not a good way to replicate this bug, then please tell me the steps to follow. I suspect you're doing something odd.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I can not replicate this.

1. I just logged into a test character and adventured until I got a semi-rare.
  2. "Semirare window begin" and "Semirare window end" counters acquired!
  3. I then logged out and quit mafia.
  4. Restarted mafia and logged into the same character
  5. I still have my "Semirare window begin" and "Semirare window end" counters.

Theraze, if that is not a good way to replicate this bug, then please tell me the steps to follow. I suspect you're doing something odd.
Maybe try logging in after rollover to see if they are still there? If they are, then that would make it more definitively something on Theraze's end.

Theraze

It's happened on 2-4 characters over the last week every time it goes to Semirare window begin/end. It stays that day, but I don't tend to login/out on the same character, so... I'll let another character lose their semirare and login a few more times and try to see when mafia loses it. It's been on a variety of versions of mafia though, and it was happening before I started trying to debug CounterChecker, so... I'll add more information or we can see if Bale notes it after rollover.

Bale

Minion
Rollover has come. Time to see if my Semirare Window counters have vanished!

Code:
> counters

Last semirare found 10 turns ago (on turn 86529) in Giant's Castle

Unexpired counters:
Semirare window begin (150)
Semirare window end (190)

Nope. Cannot reproduce.

roippi

Developer
The multiple logins is almost certainly involved. Explain exactly how you switch, check counters as you switch, etc.

Theraze

I log into my first character through the GUI, then change characters using the login <name> command when finished. The logout script is:
call ideas.ash; ashq if (my_primestat() \=\= $stat[Moxie]) { cli_execute("usestill"); } if(substring(today_to_string(), 4, 6) \=\= "12") { cli_execute("advent"); } maximize("adventures, -tie", false);
The login script is:
hermit; call ideas.ash; ashq if (have_skill($skill[canticle of carboloading])) use_skill(1, $skill[canticle of carboloading]);
The last character is logged off through using the exit command.

The ideas.ash is the one that DoctorRotelle linked a while ago hosted at:
http://whovian.zapto.org/kol/scripts/ideas.ash

Mine says that it's version 269.

Edit: Okay, here's my first character, end of today:
> counters

Last semirare found 7 turns ago (on turn 1182) in Hippy Camp

Unexpired counters:
Semirare window begin (153)
Semirare window end (193)
And on the second:
> counters

Last semirare found 192 turns ago (on turn 2441) in Limerick Dungeon

Unexpired counters:
Fortune Cookie (3)
The Shore (23)

Last edited:

Theraze

'Delightfully' the second character was the one to lose counters at rollover.
> counters

Last semirare found 192 turns ago (on turn 2441) in Limerick Dungeon

No active counters.
They retained through multiple login attempt bits (using login <character>) yesterday, but today... cleared.

Bale

Minion
That means you lost your Shore counter and Fortune Cookie counter, not Semirare Window counters. It makes more sense that you'd lose all your counters rather than only a specific type of counter. It's good we got more information, but we don't know how to reliably reproduce the problem...

roippi

Developer
Like Bale says. In the "login won't work" thread, he provided a SSCCE and I was able to identify and fix the problem within 10 minutes of reading his post. Not exaggerating. Here, we've gone through more than a page of posts and just now identified what the actual bug is. We've yet to get to the steps-to-repeat part.

Xande1

I can confirm this bug, and will add what I can to the bug report. That said, I have to apologize that this is quite the mysterious bug, as it doesn't happen consistently. So I can't provide a method of reproducing it. Hopefully the stuff below will jog something in the mind of someone else who has this problem, and we can find a common thread.

KoLmafia version: r11844 currently, but the problem has happened (for me) as far back as December, at least. It's possible it's been doing it farther back than that. Perhaps even since the account was created (September), and it just took me a while to notice.
OS and related: Linux (Ubuntu 12.04 LTS). I download the latest .jar from builds.kolmafia.us every few days

Like Theraze, I am losing fortune cookie/semirare counters on rollover (this does not appear to happen between multiple logins on the same KoL day, but as my general usage is logging in each of my characters once per day, I can't be sure the problem is rollover related, but testing by logging in and back out repeatedly today has not cleared the counter). Also, it doesn't seem to happen every day. I haven't been keeping careful track, but some days, the counters will be there like they should, and some days, they'll be missing. I follow a pretty strict routine for pre-logout activities, so I'm not sure what the difference is.

I have multiple accounts, but only ONE of them is losing its counters (telmaH #2365411). What's different about that account (and furthermore, has been different for the entire time the problem has been happening)? Well, it's the account I use for testing out new things, so the following is what I've come up with:

- It's my only account that has a capital in a position other than the first letter; also my only account where I changed the "Name Capitalization" setting in KoL's Settings > Profile after I created the account.
- It's my only account that has a recovery script set (Bale's Universal_recovery).
- It's my only account that has ever used bumcheekascend (v 0.52), but hasn't used it since December.
- It's my only account that has ever used CounterChecker (it was used in conjunction with bumcheekascend). CounterChecker has been disabled for a while now, however.
- It's my only account that has ever done a Bad Moon run (100% Black Cat).
- Until just now, it was set for an African timezone in account preferences within KoL (no idea how that happened; it's fixed now, if somehow the vanishing counters stop since I fixed that, I'll report).
- Finally, and perhaps most interestingly, KoLmafia absolutely will not remember this character's demon name for Existential Torment. And it's only this character. Despite the fact that he's defeated his Nemesis in at least 3 different runs (using mafia for all of them), Existential Torment remains grayed out in the Daily Deeds Summoning Chamber dropdown, and doesn't show up in my bumcheekcity snapshot. (I keep forgetting to note the name manually, as I usually think of it when I'm about 2 screens past where the nemesis reveals it.) All other discovered demon names automatically stored and work perfectly.

That's all I can think of, or find by looking through the settings by eye. If necessary, I'll go to another account, make notes on all the KoL and mafia settings, and compare them exhaustively.

Finally, here's the relevant bits (plus a bit of context) of session logs for the most recent occurence.
telmah_20130204.txt :
Code:
[1156] Cobb's Knob Laboratory
Encounter: Mr. Alarm, I Presarm
Took choice 517/1: unknown
choice.php?pwd&whichchoice=517&option=1

[1157] Cobb's Knob Harem
Encounter: Hands On
You acquire scented massage oil (3)

buy 1 fortune cookie for 40 each from The General Store
You acquire an item: fortune cookie
You spent 40 Meat

eat 1 fortune cookie
You gain 1 Adventure
You gain 1 Fullness
Lucky numbers: 208, 6, 170

use 1 astral energy drink
You gain 29 Adventures

[1159] Cook 3 wad of dough + 3 tomato
You acquire plain pizza (3)
Crafting used 3 each of wad of dough and tomato

on 20130205:
On login, no counters existed.
Ate fortune cookie (turn 1292), and it gave Lucky numbers: 242, 150, 35 (35 was correct, and corresponded to what should have been the counter leftover from yesterday).

xKiv

completely unfounded hypothesis: are you logging in with different capitalization than your "actual", in-game, capitalization?
(I am xKiv with second letter capitalized, but I type it like that when I log in, and I am not losing any counters, and ET demon name was remembered properly for me)

Xande1

Update: Logged in and out (and totally closed mafia) several times yesterday, and counter remained through all of that. Upon logging in for the first time after rollover today, my semi-rare counter is missing. I have the relevant bits of GCLI output saved, if anyone wants to see them, but since they mirror what Theraze already posted, I figure they were mostly just taking up space.

completely unfounded hypothesis: are you logging in with different capitalization than your "actual", in-game, capitalization?
(I am xKiv with second letter capitalized, but I type it like that when I log in, and I am not losing any counters, and ET demon name was remembered properly for me)

You may be on to something. I login from the mafia GUI, using the drop down box, which contains "telmah" (H not capitalized), because I started playing the account in mafia before I changed the capitalization in KoL settings. I can't seem to find a way to change it to "telmaH" in the mafia login GUI, as any time I type that, it matches it from the login history and automatically replaces it with "telmah".

For the time being, I'm going to try changing the capitalization in the KoL account settings back to the original ("telmah"), so it matches the way I log in via Mafia. I'll report if this seems to fix things (likely to take a couple of days; as stated above, for whatever reason, counters are only lost at rollover, not within the day). If someone can suggest how to get mafia to change "telmah" to "telmaH", I'll change the capitalization back inside of KoL, and try using the correct capitalization in mafia, and report if that works, too.

Theraze

I can't seem to find a way to change it to "telmaH" in the mafia login GUI, as any time I type that, it matches it from the login history and automatically replaces it with "telmah".

For the time being, I'm going to try changing the capitalization in the KoL account settings back to the original ("telmah"), so it matches the way I log in via Mafia. I'll report if this seems to fix things (likely to take a couple of days; as stated above, for whatever reason, counters are only lost at rollover, not within the day). If someone can suggest how to get mafia to change "telmah" to "telmaH", I'll change the capitalization back inside of KoL, and try using the correct capitalization in mafia, and report if that works, too.

Use the login command... that will change your saved settings. So login telmaH and the next time you check the GUI, it should be capitalized with that way.

For the record, I'm running on Windows 8 64-bit. So not sharing an OS with Xande1 currently. I am using Dropbox to sync the entire KoLmafia folder, but that SHOULDN'T cause these problems... right?