Scripting the birth of a new life.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
...which is the default setting for all new users, so you would have had to intentionally set it.

morgad

You could put them in your closet if you don't want EatDrink to use them. Is that bad?

Of course this was assuming you could closet astral drinks :(

Code:
Placing items into closet...
Transfer failed for astral energy drink (3)

Dave

Theraze

Or put them into the eatdrink_avoid list, so it won't try to use those items, just like with anything else...

Theraze

I think eatdrink would automatically use the containers if it was going to eat the items anyways... if people want to avoid using them, set the avoid flag and you're set. If you don't set the flag, that's your choice.

Bale

Minion
I guess I won't use the astral food/drink/spleen containers. That'd be troublesome to too many people.

zarqon

Bale -- you could use them if EatDrink settings don't exist in vars[]. Would only cause problems in very few cases (regular users of EatDrink would be unaffected), and in my judgement the benefit is clear.

Bale

Minion
Nah. That wouldn't work for me since I use EatDrink when I'm in aftercore so those settings are still there. I'd really need a newLife setting to control this if I was to add the feature. Annoying.

Is the benefit really clear? It's pretty simple to just use the container myself. Do people forget that they have them? Should I just consider auto-use of astral consumables to be an EatDrink bug?

zarqon

My point was just that it would be helpful for non-EatDrink-users, without hurting anyone. It's not a universal solution, but it is an improvement. But if it doesn't help you personally then I understand your lack of motivation to add it.

Theraze

Nah. That wouldn't work for me since I use EatDrink when I'm in aftercore so those settings are still there. I'd really need a newLife setting to control this if I was to add the feature. Annoying.

Is the benefit really clear? It's pretty simple to just use the container myself. Do people forget that they have them? Should I just consider auto-use of astral consumables to be an EatDrink bug?

EatDrink is a script to use whatever is 'best' at your current time. The astral food will almost always be 'best'. Though...
Cannot be traded
That line there means that it will use this part of EatDrink:
// Some items are nontradable, so their price can't be calculated. These items
// tend to be very good (e.g. pan-galactic gargleblaster). You may not want
// to consume them lightly, so set this at MAXMEAT. If you do want to eat
// the very best food available regardless of value, set this to 0.
setvar("eatdrink_priceOfNontradeables", MAXMEAT);
int PRICE_OF_NONTRADEABLES = to_int(vars["eatdrink_priceOfNontradeables"]);

Bottom line, 'standard' use of EatDrink won't auto-consume the astral things, because they're non-tradable. If people have told EatDrink to use all their food including untradable, it will, but it's not the default setting. I think you're fine to have NewLife auto-use the containers.

Bale

Minion
Everyone has been panicking over nothing? That's fine then. I'll add the feature without further discussion.

Updated newLife to v1.7.4

• Unpack astral consumables

Theraze

Yep, the proper answer to this:
If you use the containers, how do you stop eatdrink.ash scoffing the lot at level 1?

Dave
Should have been:
Since they're untradable, eatdrink won't scoff them, ever.

Shame on me for not checking the actual script for a week though. :(

shazbot

Another feature which would reduce user error (and subsequently large amount of frustration) would be to either prompt the user or just clear the zlib variable 'is_100_run'.

Theraze

I would hate that... I decide on what run I'm going to do JUST before ascension and set the value, so I can buy the familiar hatchling if needed, etc. Wiping it out would wreck my 100% runs...

I think that's one of those things that is the responsibility of the end-user. If you're going to set a 100% run, you should be aware that you're in a 100% run. It shouldn't be automated, unless the script is actually deciding what your next 100% run is and automatically setting that (and suggesting what class should be possible and not too painful).

Bale

Minion
WARNING!

Don't use this script for the new challenge path "Way of the Surprising Fist"! There is an interesting restriction that will cause this script to do something unpleasant. And it may break when it tries to equip your gear.

I'll be rolling out a new version as soon as mafia adds recognition of the new path.

jwylot

I have a suggestion which might help folk who want features which are possibly not universally useful. I know there is a section at the end of this awesome script which can be tailored to a specific character's requirements but this is cleared whenever a new version of new life is posted.

How about putting the special() routine in a separate file which is imported by new life? That way we can fine tune new life to our heart's content without having to do anything on future updates.

Or... the change I've made to special() is to call weathers_day1.ash. Yes, I have to edit it, but I only have to edit one line.

Bale

Minion
Updated newLife to v1.8

• Support for Surprise Fisting.

Turns out that I was able to use a workaround instead of waiting for mafia to add support.

Last edited: