Relay browser lockups

drakono82

I don't frequent these fora, so I don't know if this is an issue for anyone else, but a few searches yielded nothing, so here goes.

Very frequently, for several months, the relay browser locks up on me. Anything I click on just hangs with the browser's animation indicating a page loading, but no progress. The current page doesn't ever get cleared. Mafia's GUI and the mini browser continue to function, but the relay browser does not. Reloading the relay browser fails, too. I keep up with the latest builds, checking nearly every day. I'm running on Windows XP SP3, Mozilla Firefox 3.6.12. The problem can occur on any relay browser page load, and happens several times per hour.

If I'm connected to the internet via wireless, using Windows' "repair" option on the connection almost always fixes the problem -- until the next occurrence. The "repair" disables the wireless adapter, reenables, connects, and clears ARP/cache/etc. However, running repair on a wired Ethernet connection has no effect on the problem. In that case, I have to completely close mafia.

I suspect the problem might be triggered by incomplete page loads (which appear to happen very frequently), but I don't know of any way to determine the cause. Has anyone else seen this behavior? Any tips for diagnosing or fixing the problem?

Theraze

Y'know what's the worst kind of problem to try to troubleshoot?
Often when lots of different stuff happens, but intermittently enough so I can't replicate it, my computer has issues.

From your fix, it sounds like the problem is that your computer's internet connection sucks. Nothing we can do to fix that. If there's enough information for us to diagnose something else, we can try to work on it... but with vague information, we can't actually look anywhere specific in the code for issues.

mredge73

I have a similar problem from time to time. It is usually the result of a script hanging (recovery or between battle or ccs).
Typing abort will allow Mafia to continue to function but the relay remains stuck.
Restarting Mafia has always fixed whatever issue I had.

Since it is intermittent, I cannot perfectly replicate it.
In my line of work, if a problem cannot be replicated then it is not a problem.

icon315

Yeah this happens to me all the time. I just close the relay browser for a while, then open it and it is usually working again

Theraze

i.e., what can I do to get the needed info?

Well first, if the problem is your internet connection dropping/sucking, nothing we can do to fix that. You can complain to your ISP, but we can't fix that base problem.

If it's something else, SPECIFIC information helps.
What exactly are you doing when it fails? Are you running combat? Checking quest logs? Crafting items?
What messages show up in the gCLI? Does it say anything besides blank page received? Does it even say that?
What time is this happening? Does it always happen at 5 minutes after the hour, or something odd like that?

The more data, whether it seems useful initially or not, the more chance of a correlation being found between seemingly random events. :)

drakono82

I've still been having this problem for months. I've decided to "just live with it." Repairing a wifi connection takes less than a minute. It happens frequently, but I didn't have a lot of options.

Well, today I monkeyed with my settings and disabled the image caching. I think that seemed to be the magic bullet. Whereas I would usually have this problem several times a day, I've not had a single incident today.

I will still need to try it out on the other computer -- the one with the wired Ethernet connection. With the wired connection, I could never find a way to kickstart the relay browser short of completely closing and restarting mafia. I have high hopes that those days are gone now.