Relay Browser Causes Mafia to Freeze

Raven434

I looked back through the forums and didn't find anything that appeared relevant.

Lately, in Hobopolis {mostly} as well as some other places, if a Mafia choice adventure is configured with the "Open in a browser" option, the browser may or may not open and the Mafia app freezes tighter than a drum. I have to kill the process from the task manager, alt-f4 won't even kill it.

Versions are 12.6 right up to the latest daily.

Firefox browser 2.0.0.17.

Java version is 6.07. Might try 6.10 and see if that helps at all.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
From my recent experience, any time an alert window opens up in mafia there's a chance of it freezing. This is on OSX 10.4.11. I stopped eating fortune cookies in mafia because of this.

daennea

lostcalpolydude, did you find a fix besides modifying your behavior? I also have Mac OS 10.4.11, and mafia freezing has gotten to the point where it's actually faster to play my adventures manually than to have mafia freeze, logout, log back in, work a little longer, and then (sometimes) repeat the process. The problem may be intermittent, but it's really annoying. I don't think I finished a single day of Crimbo play without mafia freezing.

For me, the chance of freezing doesn't just happen with alerts - it happens sometimes if I have another application running that covers mafia (including the relay browser - Safari, for me) and I click back to mafia, if the mini-browser opens due to low HP from my actions while the relay browser and I close it (after clicking back to the main mafia application to cast buffs, eat, etc), or just sometimes when it finishes with a round of turns (this is a little different, though).

In the last case, mafia's GUI just freezes - I can see everything on the tab I'm on, the status bars for connectivity still track, but clicking anywhere on the GUI has no effect. I can still use the menu bar, and if I open the mini-browser and close it, I get the "freezing" effect I most commonly see. When mafia freezes (for lack of a better word - perhaps, becomes beige would be a better description), I can use the menu bar to open the relay browser, which will work; do the quests; or open hunter-type popup windows, but the tabs and lower right area of the GUI vanish into a blank beige area (except the button area and the green bar) and I can't navigate between tabs or use almost anything on the screen (I can select text areas - which appear out of the beige when clicked on - and, provided I had the foresight to leave it on the Graphical CLI tab before, successfully type in commands in the command line there).

I can't pinpoint when this issue started; early this summer, I think. I do know that it continued after I reformatted my HD & reinstalled everything in August (I think I used the v. 12.4 installer then). I've thrown away my KoLMafia folder once since then and tried almost every subsequent upgrade (I have 12.8 now) and the problem always reoccurs.

I can't figure out how to get around this (except by doing everything manually, but KoLMafia has a superior interface for a lot of aspects of play and I miss it). Should I avoid using any other programs while mafia is running (this hasn't worked well—it's how I found that mafia likely freezes before I get the beige screen)? Should I wait longer after it finishes playing a round of turns to click from tab to tab? Throw away the KoLMafia folder again? Suggestions, please?

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I haven't seen this happen since a fix was put in for it, which was probably back in October and definitely before Crimbo. I only have 1 GB RAM and have a bunch of other stuff open at the same time, so that isn't the cause.

daennea

October? Hmm. Well, I'll throw away everything again (I think I last tried that in either September or October) and reinstall the newest version and hopefully that will fix the problem. Thanks for the tip.

Rinn

Developer
I don't believe the fix has made it into one of the official releases, so you'll need one of the recent daily builds.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Jason submitted a fix in revision 6538 on November 27.
Version 12.7 was released on December 7.

I haven't thought about this problem for a long time since I've not seen it - nor any reports of it, until you posted - for almost two months.

zarqon

If you're using the latest build, wiping your mafia subfolders (minus your settings files) might help. I haven't seen this problem in months either.