Bug - Not A Bug Program locking up from chat pane

fianor

Been using mafia a long time and never had any version locking up before. I recently started hanging out in /games.

I run the chat pane in 4 channels, /trade /clan /games /veteran. I have "Name click shows mall store" selected. I've only noticed it happening when I click a player name announcing an AR, but when it goes to fill in the store inventory it sometimes locks mafia until I kill it with a task manager. I think it may only be when mafia is currently displaying that character's store and I click them again, but I'm not certain of that yet. Going to do some more testing to be sure.

I do know that I've never had mafia locking up before, but never went to people stores from chat before either.

oh and ...

windows XP build2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.100427-1636: service pack 3
mafia v14.1 r8576
java 6 standard edition version 6 update 20 build1.6.0_20-b02

There appears to be an update for java, installing that now for the testing.

Grotfang

Developer
Also using 8576, but am unable to replicate this effect. Clicking on a player a second time (when already displaying their store) works fine, as does handling folks without a store (which doesn't sound like the issue anyway if they are hosting ARs). Clicking on someone who is hosting an AR (and I tried a few people) also works fine, which I had expected since I know mafia handles limited purchase content perfectly well. In addition, stores with a single (limited item) product which you have filled your quota of for the day also load fine for me.

Those were most of the issues that occurred to me as being potential problems, but it's working ok for me. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

fianor

No worries, thanks for trying.

Mafia is working for me most of the time, just occasionally locks up when I click a name to open their store. It did it to me I think 3 times today, out of maybe 40-50 stores? I've been getting the lockups for a few days now (which is also how long I've been playing around in /games) and it took me until today to figure out there was anything common to the crashes. Clicking a name to open a store during an AR (the only time I've clicked a name to go to a store so could just be coincidence) is definitely what causes the lock for me. I know I had the main mafia window, the separate chat pane window and the separate store manager open during the last lockup. I don't recall if the store manager was open every time.

I don't know is if there is anything more the lockups have in common, certain # of items? certain stores? idk? I just logged back in as rollover hit so I haven't had a chance to try some more since I posted. I know it's happening, but I haven't narrowed it down any further. I'll post again if i can find anything else in common.

Winterbay

I've had Mafia lock up on my a few times as well, generally when I click two things very quickly after each other, say item manager and then store manager since I clicked the wrong button from the beginning. Could that be a thing here?

Raven434

Item Manager is causing a *ton* of lock-ups lately. Checked against versions 8588, 8577.

8564 seems to do it less.

JRE6 21 on a X64 machine running Vista.

Raven434

Doing it again. Version I am using is 8852.

I did notice that in a normal javaw.exe session, I have about 200K - 300K I/O writes in Windows Task Manager, during a run of 250 or so turns.

When the program becomes unresponsive, this count jumps to 6M+. An increase of 20x - 30X.

Theraze

Hmm... did you finish Crimbo this year? If so, 8852 was still pre-final items, which means you're using item overrides, which always breaks my copy of mafia...

Raven434

Hmm... did you finish Crimbo this year? If so, 8852 was still pre-final items, which means you're using item overrides, which always breaks my copy of mafia...

That is a good point. Yeah, I finished Crimbo, but will pull the latest and greatest off of BUILDS.

:)

Theraze

Just remember to update clear after you get the new version, since otherwise it will want to keep using the item overrides which may potentially have issues. :)

xKiv

Shouldn't mafia automatically remove overrides when it notices it's newer than the last used version/revision?

Winterbay

Shouldn't mafia automatically remove overrides when it notices it's newer than the last used version/revision?

Well, there might be things in the override that Mafia still doesn't handle. I guess it's a sort of safety thing that makes it not remove them, but what do I know :)

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
It has always worked that way for me. Of course, if I still have an unknown item, it will create a new override for it.
Item overrides have also always worked perfectly for me.

Bale

Minion
Item overrides have also always worked perfectly for me.

Likewise.

Data overrides for new items/effects is one of the best features added to mafia in 2009! I love it. 2009 was a very good year for mafia since it also got the maximizer in 2009.

Theraze

Data overrides actually makes my mafia not launch... I need to delete them every new program execution. -_-

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Data overrides actually makes my mafia not launch... I need to delete them every new program execution. -_-

Well the finger sure points at your environment and not mafia. Any info to provide that might help prove or disprove that hypothesis?

Theraze

When I launch it with overrides, I get the following error in a popup box:
Title: Java Virtual Machine Launcher
Text - 2 lines:
Could not find the main class: net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLmafia.
Program will exit.

Delete the overrides and all runs well again. No clue why it happens. So... bug report, or community support on this one? Don't want to hijack this thread.

Winterbay

When I launch it with overrides, I get the following error in a popup box:
Title: Java Virtual Machine Launcher
Text - 2 lines:
Could not find the main class: net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLmafia.
Program will exit.

Delete the overrides and all runs well again. No clue why it happens. So... bug report, or community support on this one? Don't want to hijack this thread.

I actually had that when I ran your builds while I was helping to test out the -ml things. No problem with the normal builds, but starting yours without deleting the overrides caused mafia to not start in that same way.

It kept building overrides of my El Vibrato-cards which I thought was funny since those are old and should really be known by now...

Theraze

Bizarre... so it may be something with the way ant runs for me or something, no clue. I followed the directions on compiling, and everything works fine when overrides aren't involved... Heh.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Bizarre... so it may be something with the way ant runs for me or something, no clue. I followed the directions on compiling, and everything works fine when overrides aren't involved... Heh.

So, set up overrides and try running some other way besides ant. Double clicking on the jar (on a Windows box, for example) when the the default directory contains all of the mafia directories (sessions, settings, scripts, etc) might give you different results. The message you get is one I have always eliminated by changing launch methods, parameters or environment.