Problem with size of Preferences window

Xande1

Lately, whenever I open the Preferences window in Mafia, it appears huge: normal width, but roughly 2.5 times the height of the screen tall. It takes several steps of resizing it to turn it into something that fits on one screen. If I close the preferences window and re-open it (within the same Mafia instance) it reopens at the same huge size. This is with several recent daily builds (most recently r12809), running on Linux, using Java 1.6.0_27. It does this on all my accounts. I'm sure some setting has been corrupted or something similar, but I can't for the life of me find it. Any help would be very appreciated.

Last edited:

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
The size of any window besides the main window is determined by the contents of the window rather than any preference, so nothing should be corrupted. Do other windows (not counting the main window) open up at a more reasonable size for you? Do all of the sections in the Preferences window show up one at a time as you click various titles on the left side? I'm just guessing at things that might help someone figure out what's causing the issue.

Xande1

The other subwindows I open (inventory manager, daily deeds, modifier maximizer, store manager, mushroom plot, etc.) all open up at the expected (i.e., perfectly reasonable) size. All sections of the Preferences window show up normally when clicked.

Here's a couple of interesting things, though: The longest window content is "Relay Browser" which is almost as long as my screen is tall, and then has about 1.5 screens full of empty space at the bottom. Also, most of the windows space normally, and have bunches of empty space at the bottom, EXCEPT for the sub-sections under "Automation". "Automation" itself is normal, with everything single-spaced, but the sub-sections below it ("- In Ronin", "- After Ronin", and "- Daily Deeds") are all stretched to fill the entire window; they shrink down when I shrink the window. I'm starting to think they're the problem.

I've attached two screenshots to show what I'm talking about. The large is the window at the size it opens, the small is the window after I've shrunk it repeatedly to a smaller size.
InRonin-small.pngInRonin-large.png

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Grasping at straws here, but I might consider copying the preferences file and then deleting the preferences displayed on the automation and trying again. I have seen a couple cases where the preferences file gets corrupted - CR LF problems or whitespace - and that effects what mafia reads and then displays.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Everything shown in that screenshot is supposed to be a boolean. If it's some garbage value, then mafia's internal getBoolean() function should return false. My guess is it's something specific to the version/implementation of java combined with that flavor of Linux. If there's an older version where it doesn't happen, then identifying the version where it started would help a lot to changing something in mafia.