Bug - Not A Bug Password Hash

jasonharper

Developer
Could the problem be that the session has timed out & reconnected at least once, leaving an outdated password hash in the top pane? If so, one workaround would be to click the [re] link before logout.

maraxusofk

Password hash mismatch?

I keep getting this weird message in the CLI

"Password hash mismatch
Path: "/KoLmafia/messageUpdate?pwd=7cfdf4a6c745f80a14a3361b4f8faf57 ".

I've tested it with various daily builds but I keep getting that looped in the CLI. Can anyone tell me what this is?

Spiny

I had that happen to me once when logging in once thru mafia. It spammed my CLI. No one else in my household had problems with that build and a newer build was already released so I upgraded to that one and didn't think about it again. Sorry I don't remember the build number that was giving me issues.

icon315

This happens when it can't load messages. For me, this is usually when rollover comes when I'm logged in

lidden

Why is this marked as "Waiting for info"? That is something the maintainers should change the topic to if they need more info than was given in the OP.

Metraxis

I seem to have this problem any time I have a timeout because I'm doing something else when an abort triggers. The message just keeps repeating.

Bale

Minion
It happens to me sometimes when I leave the relay browser open from a previous session. You're using the relay browser right? Just refresh the relay browser and it goes away.

icon315

Mini Browser Error?

I got this in the Gcli when i was adventuring in the pirate's cove in the mini browser

Code:
[27957] Pirate Cove
Encounter: swarthy pirate
Strategy: C:\Users\noel\Desktop\ccs\default.ccs [default]
Round 0: icon315 wins initiative!

Round 1: icon315 tries to steal an item!
Round 2: icon315 executes a macro!
Round 2: icon315 casts DISCO EYE-POKE!
Round 3: swarthy pirate takes 1 damage.
Round 3: icon315 casts DISCO DANCE OF DOOM!
Round 4: swarthy pirate takes 6 damage.
Round 4: icon315 casts DISCO DANCE II: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO!
Round 5: swarthy pirate takes 10 damage.
You acquire an effect: Disco Concentration (duration: 1 Adventure)
Validating login server (www.kingdomofloathing.com)...
Redirected to www7.kingdomofloathing.com...
Password hash mismatch
Path: "/KoLmafia/messageUpdate?pwd=f7430f50ac27b73bcab414e526910d1b"
993 players online.
Sending login request...
Login reattempt in 1 minute, 15 seconds...
Password hash mismatch
Password hash mismatch
Password hash mismatch
Password hash mismatch
Login reattempt in 1 minute...
Password hash mismatch
Password hash mismatch
Password hash mismatch
Password hash mismatch
Login reattempt in 45 seconds...
Password hash mismatch
Password hash mismatch
Password hash mismatch
KoLmafia declares world peace.
KoLmafia declares world peace.
Redirected to www5.kingdomofloathing.com...
Password hash mismatch
993 players online.
Sending login request...
Login reattempt in 1 minute, 15 seconds...
Password hash mismatch
Password hash mismatch
Password hash mismatch
Login reattempt in 1 minute...
Login reattempt in 45 seconds...

It kept trying to login for a while after that, but failed every time

Last edited:

Bale

Minion
That error pops-up when you're using the relay browser (or mini-browser I guess) after having timed out and re-logged in.

The solution for the relay browser is simply to refresh the window. I suspect the same solution will work for the mini-browser. It just needs to know that your password hash has changed as a result of logging back in.

unfako

It happens to me a lot during sessions where I get the "blank page message". Once it starts, just logging out & in again doesn't help - the only thing that helps is exiting kolmafia. Usually it doesn't take long before it starts again then, though. This seems especially bad when the severs are slow.

If this problem prevents me from seeing new messages, I'm not aware of it. I can load the message page just fine in relay browser.

this happens to me rather often. Usually it's when logging out, and pushing the logout button in the relay browser. Often when i've been active within a minute or so of doing it. I actually posted a bug report on this a while ago, nothing seemed to happen though.

Hitting the little [re] button in the top pane did take care of it, but that was supposed to be more like a hack than a fix, i think.

Bale

Minion
logging out and in won't fix this problem. Frequently it is the CAUSE of the problem. The problem is that the relay browser contains information from a previous session. It is most frequently caused when you log in again after a timeout.

Just refresh the relay browser and it will be fine.

Seriously, didn't you read all that stuff above? It spells out the situation. This isn't a mystery.

Spiny

Revisiting this thread myself, the most frequent culprit of causing this for me is when I launch mafia and launch the relay browser without entering chat in the relay browser. Note that I generally use CDMoyer's Tabbed Chat and another GM script called Timeless chat. Anyhow if I launch the relay browser without entering chat and then distract myself with other websites or simply go afk, that's when the password hash mismatch strikes. If I have entered chat in the relay browser and am kept from idling out via timeless chat, I don't have that problem at all.

That doesn't sound like something to fix on mafia's end. Just refresh your browser to fix it.

Eh... if it's not something to fix on mafia's end, then why is it only seemingly caused when using mafia? If it's because the session idles out, well... uhh... if i'm talking in chat, and chat is active the entire time, how does it explain that? Trying to chat with an old hash would cause KoL itself to boot you. If the problem is that mafia re-logs in silently for you, then that sounds like an issue of mafia not telling the relay browser that it had to update the hash. The relay browser shouldn't be having to constantly ask mafia if the hash is good or not, mafia should just tell the relay browser when it changes, so that links and such may be properly updated.

It's not a huge deal either way, when that happens, i just close out of mafia anyway, as i'm already logging out, but making believe like it's not mafia that is causing it bugs me, since it very clearly is the way that mafia is communicating (or not communicating) with the relay browser that is causing this issue.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Mafia does silently re-login for you. People complained when it didn't. Is it possible for mafia to force the entire relay browser window to refresh? Probably not. Maybe when mafia receives the hash mismatch message it can cause that frame to reload. For the case of trying to log out, that doesn't really seem like an improvement.

StDoodle

Minion
Currently, I only see this issue when rollover hits, until I close my relay browser tab. This isn't a huge deal, although it would be nice if there was a limit to the number of times the error message was sequentially displayed. I used to run into this a good deal while using Chez's Active Chat (which is a "next-gen" version of CDM's tabbed chat). The problem happened whenever KoLmafia refreshed the session & the same relay browser page was kept opened. However, Chez made some change to his script, and the problem has not appeared since (except at rollover, as mentioned). So I find it quite possible that the GM scripts being used may not be able to handle such situations, and be the cause of the problem.

Spiny

r8519
I was active in the relay browser, with chat open tonight. I hit level 13 and went to the council. Mafia started filling up with:

Code:
Missing password hash
Path: "/KoLmafia/blank.html"

That's the first time I've seen that particular output. I tried refreshing the browser page, but that made a huge mess showing mostly a blank page, my topbar and the -run script- dropdown and [re] at the bottom of the page. I closed the relay browser and relaunched it. That seems to have fixed it.