One-Click Wossname -- automatic level 12 quest completion

slyz

Developer
This:
Code:
[ default ]
 consult SmartStasis.ash
 attack
is a Custom Combat Script (CCS) in Mafia.

If you are fighting something that will kill you quickly, SmartStasis.ash won't do anything and you will end up simply attacking. You can probably remove "consult SmartStasis.ash", and you should replace "attack" by whatever you do to kill the hippies manually, so that Mafia will do it for you.

DeNarr

I'm not even sure what the Smart Stasis does, but this script says to use it. I would imagine that the script should be usable at level 12, as that's when we can do it. I'm level 13 and it still gets me beaten up. Then, it will even continue trying to fight while beaten up. Why would it do that?

zarqon

Setting up mafia to smartly automate everything has a fairly steep learning curve. There are normal scripts such as this one, recoveryScripts, betweenBattleScripts, consult scripts, macros, CCSs, counterScripts, and post- and preAscension scripts, using a total of four different command structures (CLI, ASH, BALLS, and CCS commands), and that's just for an average player. Each is used differently, and each handles a different aspect of play. It can be rather confusing at first.

In this case OCW is adventuring despite being beaten up because you haven't configured mafia in your restore options or recoveryScript to remove beaten up, or abort if you can't. It's unable to beat the monsters because you haven't configured mafia in your CCS or consult script to use combat skills which could effectively kill the monster. These issues are outside the scope of OCW. They belong in a recoveryScript (or mafia restore options) and a CCS (which can include macros and consult scripts such as SmartStasis), respectively.

OCW doesn't include checking for whether or not you will die before adventuring somewhere. This is because a character could have any number of different skills, and any number of different automations for handling the combat. If you have a noodle-butting CCS, you can survive much more difficult monsters than if you simply have an "attack" CCS. OCW has no way of knowing your CCS, so it just assumes you have configured it correctly to handle the monsters. The CCS listed was a good starting point, but you need to develop it beyond that, depending on your skills and play style. You can't win every combat simply by attacking.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Isn't that the very example of stasising? :)

(Answering a rhetorical question...) Perhaps. If we define Stasis as something like "prolonging combat so that 'side effects' can occur" then there could be a distinction between 'required' side effects and 'beneficial' side effects. If you are doing the Junkyard then tool drops are a required side effect. However side effects such as HP or MP restore are generally not required. Stasis to restore HP or MP may be optimal for a play style or resource budget but it is never required.

Theraze

Exactly... but the point I had was, what is the difference between waiting for the tools to show up and stasis... specifically, isn't the waiting for tools to show up stasis in and of itself?

Basically, don't call something not what it is, just because you have to do it... the fact that it's required doesn't make it less valid.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Geez. One of us got up on the wrong side of the bed today. Slyze made a comment that was not literally true, you offered a correction, I observed that that would be useful to have two different words for two similar, related concepts and you repeat your demand for literal correctness.

Under the presumption that I am the cranky one, how shall we distinguish between stasis that is required to achieve a goal and stasis that is desirable in terms of game play efficiency?

To possibly relate this post to the thread at hand, it started because Wossname (correctly) assumed that something external would handle the Gremlin Hunt properly and someone posted because they missed that point in the instructions. Is there a general way that scripts with logical dependencies could confirm that the dependencies are satisfied?

Theraze

Ah... I was focusing on the part about restoring HP/MP never being required, whereas depending on your stats, I thought it might be required for the gremlins... If you can't survive more than a hit or two, your chance of getting your stasis successful lowers greatly.

I don't know if there really is a way to do the split between needed and wanted besides suggesting people fix their CCS for the Junkyard, and since the initial problem is that people don't read the directions anyways...

Regarding forcing things, you COULD enforce a temporary CCS, but would need to try to validate that SS or something similar is available. Also, people who were actually paying attention would be upset that it overwrites their (hopefully) more intelligent complicated CCS handling for those areas. But it could be done as a preference that defaults to true...

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Running with the latest of everything. My default outfit included the pirate fledges. I had not previously acquired a flaregun. When it went to adventure in the Cove to get one, it didn't succeed since the equipped fledges took me "inside" instead. No big deal - I unequipped and got the flaregun manually - but I figured I'd mention it.

EdFox

BeeCore Wossname

I think I have the math on this right but who knows. This warplan does two sidequests per side, which is the maximum as the Arena and Junkyard aren't available in BeeCore. The orchard is stolen for the frat side.

This results in 518 adventures on the battlefield, which isn't too much more than the non bee optimal warplan. The difference might be even less since you're doing two less sidequests, although the Junkyard is pretty quick and the Arena is too if you're good in the bathroom, on the other hand the Farm is longer in BeeCore due to no butterflies allowed.. ah whatever. :)

Attachments

• fastest-bees.txt
    329 bytes · Views: 37

kain

Wouldn't the fastest beecore be to do the Nuns, dooks, filthworms as a hippy, spend 9 turns on the battlefield and then do lobsters?

--edit--

I misunderstand, this is to get a wossname in beecore. Carry on then!

EdFox

Of course, you're right. And the existing hippy-4-moon warplan does exactly that already. But, yeah, no Wossname.

icefall5

This time trying to use the fastest warplan (not beecore), I get trapped in a loop.

mafia said:
Visit to IsleWar: Themthar Hills in progress...
You already recovered the Nuns' Meat.

Nunmeat retrieved: 100000
Estimated adventures remaining: 0

etc.

How can I fix this?

Last edited:

slyz

Developer
For now, use a version of Mafia before r9342. I haven't heard from Fronobulax after I posed a fix to my fix, but that patch seems to run without any problem for a couple of players.

Tipmon

> call scripts\Wossname.ash

Internal checkpoint created.
"optimal.txt" loaded (14 steps).
Checking for outfits...
You can't wear that outfit.
Verifying Wossname progress...
Current step: 0
Completing step 0 of 14...
Mood swing complete.
Putting Gonald the Hobo Monkey back into terrarium...
Taking Trobert the Baby Gravy Fairy out of terrarium...
You can't wear that outfit.
You need 1 more bullet-proof corduroys to continue.
You need 1 more bullet-proof corduroys to continue.
Unable to complete step 0
Restoring initial settings...
Putting Trobert the Baby Gravy Fairy back into terrarium...
Taking Gonald the Hobo Monkey out of terrarium...
OCW stopped.
Requests complete.

Just spits this at me every time I try to start the script. I have tried to set the outfit stuff in the data folder to my outfit but nothing seems to work :(