One-Click Wossname -- automatic level 12 quest completion

zarqon

Updated first post with a cleaned up Wossname.ash that doesn't give friendly warnings and includes the new turn_stuff_in code. This will probably be my last update of this version of the script. When I post the next update, it will be OCW 2.0 on SourceForge; however I'll leave the old version up for people that may prefer it.

NOTE: My previous code had an error -- it should be Quartersmaster, not Quartermaster. Fixed above, and hopefully also in Theraze's alias.

@Fluxxx: I'm hoping to make turn savings somewhat of a priority for this incarnation of the script, including logic for the Nuns trick and farming one of your needed war outfits on the Battlefield rather than getting them both at the pre-war camps. I'm a little foggy on your question, though -- if you are going for the Iron Beta, you need a specific number of sidequests to be complete, so where does inconsistent Nuns completion come in? Do you complete a different sidequest instead?

Theraze

I notice that this takes one of the council text options out of the list. I believe that the "have started an all-out war" may have been the alternate text for zombiecore runs, but the script now only checks for "get those idiots to fight" on the council.php page.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I'm hoping to make turn savings somewhat of a priority

In my fantasy world where everyone else does the work for me, I would love something that chose the goal based upon the expected number of turns to achieve that goal given the current state of the character. I'd be willing to run that something before starting the War if it would choose a side for me and I could live with that decision, but I can imaging a future when I ran that something periodically during the war and it suggested changing my goal if there were significant turn savings expected.

However, if all that happens is that OCW v2's turn estimates are available to other scripters, I could do all this myself.

Fluxxdog

@Fluxxx:[...]I'm a little foggy on your question, though -- if you are going for the Iron Beta, you need a specific number of sidequests to be complete, so where does inconsistent Nuns completion come in? Do you complete a different sidequest instead?
You need 5 done. Four of those are Arena, Beach, Junkyard, and Orchard as frat, no doubt. However, if you don't have the right gear or familiars to do the nuns quickly enough, it can save time.

Let me break down my thinking (I'm might be wrong somewhere...):
When we get to the point where the Nunnery is open, we have 192 down, 808 to go. If we complete the nuns, we only have 26 turns after that that must be burnt. (We'll come back to that 26.)
If we instead bypass the nuns and push on to the farm, it'll take 17 turns to get there, a minimum of 18 turns to kill the ducks (either free runaways and +non-com w/ a chaos butterfly), then another 17 turns to finish the fight.
Total 52 turns. (Granted, this is with some luck as mentioned.)
Let's also present a case where the ducks take 10 turns to line up instead of 3, which is what I generally find is the case. Total would be 59. (Chaos butterfly again.)
If we present a case against the difference with the nuns done and finished, we're looking at having a leeway of 26-33 turns. Using an average 1000 meat drop from the bandits, we would need from about +285% to +200% meat drop bonus minimum during those turns.

Now, that may not seem too difficult, but sometimes you can have trouble pulling that off. If you don't snag an inhaler, if you're doing a 100% familiar run and it's not a Leprechaun type, didn't get the components to summon a Greed Demon, things like that can throw you off.
Of course, if you don't get that butterfly (or have only 1 and must have it for the tower), all bets are off.

Granted, I'm looking at this from a HC perspective w/o IotMs, but hopefully you can see my point. Generally, I've found that doing only 5 sidequests per run through is quicker than doing all 6, it's just a question of set up.

Also, I do put a lot of thought in to this as I manually do most of my ascensions. This kind of thought might just not be right for automation. I wanted to at least put it out there for consideration.

Winterbay

And that, just there, is why I dislike the level 12 quest and like the level 11 quest a lot more :) (much more straightforward)

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Fluxxdog's logic really only matters if you insist on getting an Iron Beta (or other specific reward). For normal optimizing, ducks are never worth doing as a frat, and nuns is simply determining whether you have enough +meat to do it in <= 25 turns, or <= 33 turns if you're using the nuns trick (minus whatever it costs you to pull that off).

Of course, if this script is going to be built around targeting specific rewards, that extra complication matters.

Palinathas

Zarqon, thanks again for this great script. Found a small issue in the latest (1.7 from the first post) update with the logic for selling stuff.

Code:
Quartersmaster successfully looted!
Turning in 2 purple clay bead...
Visiting the Quartersmaster...
You acquire 6 quarters
Quartersmaster successfully looted!
Searching for "reinforced beaded headband"...
Search complete.
Searching for "round purple sunglasses"...
Search complete.
Searching for "wicker shield"...
Search complete.
Division by zero (Wossname.ash, line 39)

> call scripts\Wossname.ash

Internal checkpoint created.
"frat-4-gamma.txt" loaded (6 steps).
Verifying Wossname progress...
Current step: 6
Step 6: win!

> zlib verbosity = 9

Previous value of verbosity: 7
Changed to 9.
KoLmafia declares world peace.

Running One-Click Wossname version: 1.7 (current)
Searching for "fancy seashell necklace"...
Search complete.
Searching for "water pipe bomb"...
Search complete.
Searching for "commemorative war stein"...
Search complete.
Searching for "beer bomb"...
Search complete.

Running One-Click Wossname version: 1.7 (current)

zarqon

I could see allowing $item[none] as the desired reward, which would mean to complete the quest as quickly as possible, with a flexible number of sidequests completed. Not sure at the moment how feasible that is to script -- all the logic and math you mention is certainly scriptable but perhaps impractical to work into the algorithm -- more so given that people who are getting picky on the level of saving a handful of turns are usually better off playing manually.

I am planning on a parameter for main, which will allow you to specify a single sidequest to complete. If omitted (empty string), it will run as now, trying to complete the entire quest.

@Palinathas: All those items ought to have sell prices, so none of them should be 0... ? Perhaps I confused sell and buy. Will look into it. Thanks for the report.

Theraze

Since post 842 hasn't been commented on... for anyone running zombiecore or who may consider doing so again in the future, here's the Wossname 1.7 with detection for both normal and zombiecore runs.

Attachments

• Wossname.ash
    30.3 KB · Views: 34

zarqon

I didn't reply to that post because it confused me and didn't offer any suggestions; I didn't remove any council checks so I had no idea what you meant.

Looking at your Improved! version, I see now that you meant I failed to add something which you had evidently added to your copy of the script. All becomes clear.

Zombiecorers, feel free to avail yourself of the above if you run into problems.

Theraze

Wow, I really thought I'd posted that during zombie times. :) Apparently since nobody asked about it, I never posted it. Useful.

But yes... during zombie runs, the council text changes, so the 'normal' matcher fails to ever detect that the war has begun, leading to a BUNCH of wasted time, since it will just keep trying to start the war forever even when it's already on. It fails to adventure, hits the council, fails to adventure, hits the council... repeat until insanity ensues.

zarqon

You may have posted it -- I was away from KoL for 3-4 months around then -- but I never saw it until now. :)

zarqon

Ok, I discovered the source of the aforementioned division by 0 -- I'd used buyer when I meant seller, or seller when I meant buyer. Confusing, all those buy/sell proxy records and functions, since sometimes you are the buyer and sometimes the coinmaster is the buyer. Posted a fixed and tested version in the first post and fixed the error in my previous post, so turning stuff in ought to work nicely now, although there's rather more outfit switching than before -- for 2.0 I might (shudder) repeat some code and have two separate lists of items, so as to avoid the switching.

Did some further work on 2.0 this run and rehashed the war-starting function to only get one outfit for Wossname runs. If you have either one, it will start the war using the one you have. I tested it this run by faxing/UR-ing a Battlefield monster for the War Hippy Fatigues prior to starting the quest and it worked splendidly.

HOWEVER, my Battlefield count ended up being off so I missed the Wossname, and I'm suspicious that it may be due to faxing the Battlefield monster when I hadn't actually started the War yet. Does mafia know not to count Battlefield monsters pre-War? I'll have to test that next run.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
HOWEVER, my Battlefield count ended up being off so I missed the Wossname, and I'm suspicious that it may be due to faxing the Battlefield monster when I hadn't actually started the War yet. Does mafia know not to count Battlefield monsters pre-War? I'll have to test that next run.

It knows to only count them if you adventured on the battlefield, which should only be possible during the war.

zarqon

Hmmm, not sure what happened then. I was hoping to be able to get rid of visiting the island for battlefield image verification between every battlefield kill, but I may have to put that back in just to be safe.

Theraze

Also, you know that you can fix a bad count (if you know what it is) with Cleesh, right? Because Cleesh forces only the single combatant that you're fighting to die... validated a few years back that each Cleeshed frat/hippy does count as a single kill regardless of how many quests are done. :)

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
validated a few years back that each Cleeshed frat/hippy does count as a single kill regardless of how many quests are done. :)

That seems to contradict the idea that you can CLEESH hundreds of battlefield monsters to force hero factoids, and I'm pretty sure people have done that.

Theraze

Well, I did get a Wossname by Cleeshing the 9 or whatever monsters it took to get back onto the right amount and using a flare gun. *shrugs*

But I can't speak on other people's experience. Only my own. And the Wossname I got.

zarqon

I tried a couple things this run, and found:

1. With faxing a Beetle Bailey before starting the war, my hippiesDefeated count was off again. There's a bug somewhere. I'm beginning to suspect that KoL actually counts Battlefield monster kills even before starting the war.
  2. CLEESHing Battlefield monsters seemed to have no effect on the count. I didn't test this conclusively, however. I attempted to fix my off count by CLEESHing, but the count remained off. I may have made an error though. Will get proof one way or the other next run, unless someone else saves me the trouble first.
Unfortunately, that's two runs in a row now where I've missed the Wossname while working on my new version of OCW. Hmmmm, doesn't bode well. :)

Theraze

So apparently the first few changes should be at 3, 9, and 17 according to this post. I'll see if I can abort a Battlefield sometime around then (at 2 or 8) and run a Cleesh combat to see if it changes the picture. If it does, KoL tracks it. If not, it doesn't. Regardless of mafia's tracking. Right?