Need help finding my way around the source files

Winterbay

The first thing I tried to do was search via the sourceforge page, but I could not find a way to do it. I can move back and forth between diffs for files but there appears to be no way of seqarching for things within the project files. Did I just miss it or is there in fact no way of doing it via the website?

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
The first thing I tried to do was search via the sourceforge page, but I could not find a way to do it. I can move back and forth between diffs for files but there appears to be no way of seqarching for things within the project files. Did I just miss it or is there in fact no way of doing it via the website?

I don't think you can do that. Most SVN clients I can recall focus on 'who did what' and keeping the local copy and repository in sync. You download a local copy and then search with the tool of your choice.

Winterbay

Ahh right, that makes a lot of sense, just not the kind of sense I was under the impression it would make :)
I shall use my newly acquired tool wingrep to search the code.

holatuwol

Developer
No, there isn't a source code search on the website, at least as far as I know.

When I used Windows, if I was already on the command line, I prefer using ack to search files, which is a perl script that was written to search code. It color-codes the matches like Grep on *NIX systems does without any additional configuration, and it ignores all the .svn folders by default (though if you're using git-svn instead, that's a minimal bonus), so I really enjoyed it.

Otherwise, the native Windows search UI is very good. Just right-click on the folder you want to search, restrict your searches to *.java and you're good to go. In my experience on different operating systems, only Spotlight on OSX tops it. Nothing on Linux comes close, though Linux was built for people who love staying on a CLI, so that's not surprising at all.

All that being said, IDEs and programmer-oriented text editors are also pretty good about implementing search interfaces. Eclipse searching is a bit slow on large code bases, but the results are really friendly and right-click searching for references is awesome (available in any decent IDE). Search in a programmer-oriented text editor like Sublime Text (which I purchased when I went to Xubuntu after Vista drove me crazy) is faster since it feels like it's using grep or something perl-ish in the background, but the results show up in a way that's much less friendly than a real IDE.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
In my experience on different operating systems, only Spotlight on OSX tops it.

I was disappointed when they made spotlight not search anything in ~/Library, which made searching for ash scripts impossible without jumping through enough hoops that you basically have to add mafia's folder to the side of Finder.