native CHIT

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
There are a lot of configurable things in CHIT. Not only have I changed many of them, I've made changes to the script as well. Making something built in to mafia easily configurable in a sane manner seems like a bit of work, and I don't know that nonconfigurable is an acceptable way to add it.

xKiv

There's no "problem" with leaving CHIT as a relay override. But making it native:

-exposes it to a much larger userbase
-solves version control issues
-expands the possibilities of what we can do with it. ASH is feature-rich, but Java is more so.

Of these, the first item is the most important. Your average mafia user has never heard of this "chit" thing.

It will also make any local changes/additions (much?) harder to implement and maintain.
(no, it's not something I would like to publish ... just an extra callback (to my own ash library) and extra line(s) in the modifier block)

roippi

Developer
There are a lot of configurable things in CHIT. Not only have I changed many of them, I've made changes to the script as well. Making something built in to mafia easily configurable in a sane manner seems like a bit of work, and I don't know that nonconfigurable is an acceptable way to add it.

Configurability is most definitely nice. I'm not sure it's essential (at least for v1), because

It will also make any local changes/additions (much?) harder to implement and maintain.
(no, it's not something I would like to publish ... just an extra callback (to my own ash library) and extra line(s) in the modifier block)

Possibly. Probably. Nothing would keep you from continuing to run the relay override if you prefer that.

roippi

Developer
I would be eager to read it.

I'll throw something together later today. I did a similar thing with "my development environment" but that didn't go into nearly fine enough detail to be considered a tutorial.

bumcheekcity

Roippi, how were you planning on adding this, because I'd like to contribute to an override script, as I enjoyed bUMRATS, but think that if it were integrated, it'd be better - there are a lot of small tweaks throughout the game that would be good but easy to do in ASH for us coders, but trickier in Java. Is there just a directory with .ash files somewhere in the source code, or is it integrated into the java files?