Modifier Maximizer

jasonharper

Developer
Basically, if you hadn't yet opened the Maximizer user interface (not even as an unseen tab), only expressions that appear in the popup list would work right. "MP" is in that list, "mp" isn't, thus the problem. Once the UI had actually been created, all further maximizations would work fine. Fixed in r7573.

dj_d

Two dumb questions.
* How can I maximize hobo drops?
* Why would it choose a straw hat instead of a crumpled felt hat, when I have a gravy familiar?
Thanks for an awesome feature.

jasonharper

Developer
I'm not sure what you mean by "hobo drops" - drops by normal hobos? Drops by hobo bosses? Either way, it's no different than boosting any other sort of item drop.

Looks like you found a bug here - it wasn't properly considering items that give only indirect boosts when you have several with a direct boost.

Bale

Minion
Oh, that. Modifiers related to location like The Sea's drop rates and ML in the Slime Tube. That works just fine.

If you select it as your current location it will use that location's modifiers when using the modifier maximizer.

jasonharper

Developer
Ok, r7593 should properly rank the crumpled felt fedora above the straw hat for pure item drop.

Modifier values can depend on the location, so when you have a Hobopolis location selected, the old soft shoes have an item drop bonus, and the Maximizer will consider that.

matt.chugg

Would it be possible to modify the Modifier Maximizer so that: if executing multiple selections which include a gong, to gong the gong before executing the others, thus eliminating 3 wasted turns of other effects ?

I know I can do this manually, but the more features the better right!

kitsunenine

I'm having a very odd problem with the Maximizer - with autosatisfywithstash=true, when I give it the command 'maxmize mp' on the command line, this happens (quotingn from my logs):

remove from stash: 1 amulet of extreme plot significance
You acquire an item: amulet of extreme plot significance

equip acc2 amulet of extreme plot significance
unequip acc2

equip acc3 amulet of extreme plot significance

Is this a bug in the code? It's relatively easy to get around, but it could prove frustrating in the long run.

jasonharper

Developer
That's a long-standing problem with equipping multiple identical items, typically accessories - item retrieval will steal the one you already have equipped, in preference to any other method of acquiring the item. Moving equipment stealing to a lower priority would cause worse problems elsewhere, so I don't see any easy fix for this.

Manually taking a second amulet from the stash would have allowed the Maximizer to equip both of them in this case.

Spiny

Maximizing for item drop on my HC DB suggests equipping a disturbing fanfic in the off-hand.

While I have no item-drop boosters for the off-hand, I also don't have any castable spells permed. This suggestion would make sense if I did have a permed attack spell, but as it is.... it doesn't seem remotely useful to me to equip it.

Better suggestions of equipment on-hand, may have been 3-ball, flaming talons, wicker shield, or even coffin lid or cloaca-cola shield.

I'm sure this is one of those extreme case scenarios, but thought I'd mention it as I think I neglected to when my friend experienced the same thing a couple of ascensions ago.

jasonharper

Developer
Frankly, the handling of cases where you have nothing directly useful for a particular slot is NEVER going to get much better than this. What you're asking for would require that it analyze your entire skillset, determine what playing style you're likely to use, and make recommendations based on that - it's simply not going to happen.

When the maximizer fails to make a useful suggestion, give it a hint as to what you actually consider useful - add something like 0.001 mainstat, or DA, or weapon damage, and you'll probably get better results than relying on the generic tiebreaker.

mredge73

I was using this the other day to do my basement run (it worked great by the way)

It had trouble with DA, when I maximized DA it would just select my best moxie equipment. It basically maximized moxie and would not search the mall for DA buyable. It worked as expected for every other request so I thought that I would bring this up.

jasonharper

Developer
mredge73: What was the best score being shown when maximizing DA? Once it achieves the maximum of 1000, it's not going to bother choosing any further DA-boosting equipment, it will fill any remaining slots with generally useful equipment according to the tiebreaker function.

For the Gauntlet, you want to maximize both DA and HP, anyway.

Muhandes

What you actually want to maximize for the gauntlet is the amount of damage you can sustain which is HP/(1-DA%), so 1100 HP/810 DA (1100/(1-0.8)=5500) is better than 500 HP/1000 DA (500/(1-0.9)=5000).
The exact formula to maximize would be HP/(1-(√(DA × 10) − 10)/100).
Can you even do such math in the maximizer? Maybe it's best to code it?

Addendum: Actually it is even HP/(1-(√(Min(DA,1000) × 10) − 10)/100).

Last edited:

mredge73

It made it to 1K according to maximizer, I did not know that that was the max DA allowed. On the tiebreaker function does it always choose moxie over muscle/hp or is this just because I was a DB? Would it be difficult to have the DA function get HP items after it maximizes DA to 1000.0 or add a new one specific to the gauntlet?

jasonharper

Developer
The tiebreaker gives somewhat more weight to your mainstat than your other stats.

The items in the maximizer popup are just suggestions/examples; you're free to type in "DA, HP" or any other combination you want. As Muhandes points out, that's not even close to the actual optimum combination of DA and HP, but it's a lot closer than DA alone.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Apparently sticker weapons are only considered if they already have the right stickers on them for whatever you currently want to do.

jasonharper

Developer
Right, because I'm not comfortable having it automatically perform irrevocable actions like applying stickers. Even if I wanted to do it, adding three more slots to be considered would do unspeakably horrible things to the execution time...

Bale

Minion
Concerning the stickersword, could you add a keyword to purposefully exclude a piece of equipment? It is annoying when I have the correct stickers applied, but I want to save them for later and it won't tell me the second most useful piece of equipment for that slot.