New Content - Implemented March 2016 IOTM - Witchess Set

Is there a straightforward way to script fighting the Witchess pieces? It seems ugly to my uneducated eye, nested in multiple layers of choice.php and with a mouseover URL that includes a password hash:
choice.php?option=1&pwd=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX&whichchoice=1182&piece=19YY

EDIT: Should've looked harder before posting. I didn't realize my_hash() existed. So I think I could:
visit_url("choice.php?option=1&pwd=" + my_hash() + "&whichchoice=1182&piece=19YY")

EDIT EDIT: Nope. That just gets me to the initial ("You sit down at your Witchess board...") choice.

Last edited:

Bale

Minion
Is there a straightforward way to script fighting the Witchess pieces? It seems ugly to my uneducated eye, nested in multiple layers of choice.php and with a mouseover URL that includes a password hash:
choice.php?option=1&pwd=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX&whichchoice=1182&piece=19YY

EDIT: Should've looked harder before posting. I didn't realize my_hash() existed. So I think I could:
visit_url("choice.php?option=1&pwd=" + my_hash() + "&whichchoice=1182&piece=19YY")

EDIT EDIT: Nope. That just gets me to the initial ("You sit down at your Witchess board...") choice.

Password hashes are even easier to handle than that. If you use a command like visit_url( "choice.php?option=1&pwd&whichchoice=1182" ); mafia will fill in the rest because it knows what always needs to follow pwd.

Last edited:
Oh, cool! But visit_url("choice.php?option=1&pwd&whichchoice=1182&piece=19XX") still just gets me to the "You sit down at your Witchess board..." choice. I can run_choice(1) to get to the list of pieces, but then how can I select one to fight? Or, better yet, is there a way to drop straight into a fight without having to run_choice()?

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
So, it looks like KoL requires a GET request, so you'll have to use the two-param form of visit_url (with second param USE_POST=false).

The following code snippet works for me from beginning to end:
Code:
visit_url("campground.php?action=witchess");
run_choice(1);
visit_url("choice.php?option=1&pwd=" + my_hash() + "&whichchoice=1182&piece=1942", false);

(note that 2-param visit_url requires hash to be specified)

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Code:
Effect	Puzzle Champ	Familiar Weight: +5
This is how it starts, but it goes up as you complete more daily challenge puzzles.

As far as I know, it never goes down, and you can get the value by looking at the description of the effect.

Seems like we could have a permanent per-character setting to hold the value and parse the value from the effect description, as we do with various thing.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I find the following session logging unsatisfying:

Code:
Encounter: Witchess Set
Took choice 1181/1: Examine the shrink ray
choice.php?pwd&whichchoice=1181&option=1
Encounter: Play against the Witchess Pieces
Took choice 1182/1: unknown
choice.php?option=1&pwd&whichchoice=1182&piece=1935
Encounter: Witchess Pawn
Round 0: Veracity wins initiative!
Round 1: Veracity casts SUMMON LOVE GNATS!
After Battle: You gain 16 Sarcasm
Encounter: Witchess Set
Took choice 1181/1: Examine the shrink ray
Encounter: Play against the Witchess Pieces
Took choice 1182/1: unknown
choice.php?option=1&pwd&whichchoice=1182&piece=1936
Encounter: Witchess Knight
Round 1: Veracity casts SUMMON LOVE GNATS!
Yeah, they don't take turns, but it would be nice if the combats looked more like normal combats:

Code:
After Battle: You gain 5 Smarm

[375] The X-32-F Combat Training Snowman
Encounter: the X-32-F Combat Training Snowman
Round 1: Veracity casts EXTRACT OIL!
That also did not use a turn, but it Just Worked, since it was an adventure.php thing.

I guess tomorrow when I do another Witchess Piece fight, I'll see if I can make the following transitions (from a saved DEBUG log) look better:

Code:
campground.php?action=witchess ->
choice.php?forceoption=0
Encounter: Witchess Set ->
Encounter: Play against the Witchess Pieces ->
choice.php?option=1&pwd&whichchoice=1182&piece=xxxx ->
fight.php?ireallymeanit ->
Encounter: Witchess xxx
... ->
Back to your Witchess Set
campground.php?action=witchess

Lxndr

Now that you can play Witchess against other people, you can invite others to play against you.

Here's how it looks in mafia client chat:

Code:
[16:30] quwertie has invited you to play Witchess.

Any time I click on that, it takes me to the player's profile, instead of the Witchess game invite. I'm being told by people who are in the native browser chat that this behaviour is incorrect.

PeKaJe

I was working on a script to do the daily chess piece fights and I noticed that leaving "Witchess Set" with run_choice(4) results in "Unknown adventure type encountered."
Seems it redirects to campground.php, which is not handled.

Changing redirectLocation.contains( "main.php" ) to redirectLocation.contains( "main.php" ) || redirectLocation.contains( "campground.php" ) in handleServerRedirect in AdventureRequest.java seems to fix it for me.

Bale

Minion
I just got this...

Code:
Manuel says that 'Witchess Witch' (1941) has attack 7, but KoLmafia says it is 0

Was that a change on KoL's end?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Looking at Manuel:

Witchess Pawn: Atk 1 Def: ? HP: ?
Witchess Knight: Atk 2 Def: ? HP: ?
Witchess Bishop: Atk 3 Def: ? HP: ?
Witchess Rook: Atk: 4 Def: ? HP: ?
Witchess Ox: Atk 5 Def: ? HP: ?
Witchess King: Atk 6 Def: ? HP: 2000
Witchess Witch: Atk: 7 Def: ? HP: 3000
Witchess Queen: Atk:8 Def: ? HP: 4000

Do you see a trend? ALL of the Atk values are bogus.

Quite possibly, they all scale - with fixed HP for at least the big three.

In any case, I would ignore the "Manuel says" messages for Witchess pieces, for now.

Darzil

Developer
Yes. The reason you get the message for the Queen and Witch is that I haven't spaded them for some reason, so hadn't added their stats.

Erich

Extra Gibberer charges in Witchess fights after being underwater

r16799

To reproduce: I adventured underwater with the Gibberer, which gives it a +2 charge after each combat. Following that, I did my daily Witchess fights with the Gibberer, which incorrectly gave it +2 charges after each free combat. When the Gibberer "rolled over", it increased _gibbererAdv by 1, despite there being no indication of time slowing down after combat. When time did slow down a few fights later (I think I was at 6/15), it rolled over again.

I don't know if this can be reproduced with other non adventure.php locations (I'm out of my daily fights, like Brickos or Chateau uses), or if this is solely a thing with the Witchess set. I can try some other things tomorrow, if necessary. I'm guessing since my last adv before the Witchess fights was in the Ice Hole, mafia thought I was still underwater? Not sure.