Bug - Not A Bug Mafia freezing up/lagging

dorian78

Perhaps a description of what Community Support is for is in order, then. I imagine most people in my situation are new to this forum and aren't familiar with it or it's protocol. An undescribed forum at the bottom of the page doesn't look like the kind of place to post a request for help and actually be seen. My apologies if I handled anything inappropriately.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Uh huh. And after you contacted roippi privately, you posted a public Bug Report and, eventually, got your issue resolved. Did roippi tell you to do that? Bad roippi!

lost is exactly correct: if you are not SURE something is a bug in KoLmafia, discuss it in Community Support. If the Community determines that it is a bug, then create a Bug Report. Of course, if you are certain that you have found a bug - preferably a reproducible case of doing X and getting Y when you expected Z, you can go straight to the Bug Report.

But, a strange change in behavior in KoLmafia after you change something on your system would indicate bringing it up in Community Support first.

You are welcome.

P.S. I get grumpy when I see Not a Bugs or Feature Requests or New Content posted as Bug Reports. I am sorry that I made you feel unwelcome. I did not intend that. I just wanted you - and others - to stop doing things that make me grumpy.

Last edited:

Theraze

Perhaps a description of what Community Support is for is in order, then. I imagine most people in my situation are new to this forum and aren't familiar with it or it's protocol. An undescribed forum at the bottom of the page doesn't look like the kind of place to post a request for help and actually be seen. My apologies if I handled anything inappropriately.

Community Support is when the community needs support for something that isn't a bug in mafia or help related to a specific script. As in, this. :)

And the most inappropriate part about your handling is arguing with Veracity when she points out that you posted in the wrong spot. She knows what the right spot is. You didn't. The right thing to do when someone tells you that you put it in the wrong zone is to suck it up and put it there next time, since you can't fix it this time. Not argue with them. If you were confused by not knowing where to put it, you can express that... but don't try to tell the people who do know where stuff works that they're doing it wrong. :)

Last edited:

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
An extra-special batch of internet cookies to fronobulax!!!!

Thank you. I'm not sure what I would suggest. I have not seen a significant problem with KoLmafia when running AVG Free as configured out of the box. On other systems and at other times telling the AV not to scan jar files also helps.

I will say that I have learned not to argue with Veracity. When I have done so I have never been right although once I think I ended the discussion with the idea that maybe I was Not Wrong (which is not the same as Right but there are nuances mathematicians are used to because, for example, zero is not a positive number, but it is a non-negative one). In any case it was not immediately clear to me either that the point being made was where the request was initially posted. Since that is now established maybe next time we can save Veracity some grief by having Minions be more proactive about moving topics between Bug/FR and Community Support. We can also start discussing the distinction so that the innocent bystander who wants to do the right thing has some better guidance.