Bug KoLMafia thinks Big Brother isn't rescued

Qualidus

This is my first time sea adventuring on this character and I'm at the Mer-kin Library. I used to be able to "make dolphin whistle" earlier in this run but that no longer seems to work.

This is from version 12219.

The errors I get are:
> make 1 dolphin whistle
That item cannot be created.

> debugcreate dolphin whistle
dolphin whistle.canMake(2) => 1

Attempting to visit Big Brother in the CoinMasters frame says the following:
You haven't rescued Big Brother yet.

Yet I can visit Big Brother and manually purchase the dolphin whistles.

Poking at the source it seems like rescuedBigBrother (BigBrotherRequest.java) is set true if I have an aerated diving helmet or if I have SCUBA gear and a bubblin' stone.

At my current quest progress, I used the aerated diving helmet to make the Crappy Mer-Kin mask (then used that to make the Mer-kin scholar mask), This consumed the one bubblin' stone I received for the run and I no longer have an aerated diving helmet either. I'm also using the old SCUBA tank instead of the makeshift SCUBA gear.

I'm not sure if there's a better way to determine if Big Brother has been rescued.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
The only way to properly track that is with a quest-tracking setting. Until that exists, it should probably be too permissive rather than too restrictive, perhaps by checking for a bathysphere.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Poking at the source it seems like rescuedBigBrother (BigBrotherRequest.java) is set true if I have an aerated diving helmet or if I have SCUBA gear and a bubblin' stone.

At my current quest progress, I used the aerated diving helmet to make the Crappy Mer-Kin mask (then used that to make the Mer-kin scholar mask), This consumed the one bubblin' stone I received for the run and I no longer have an aerated diving helmet either. I'm also using the old SCUBA tank instead of the makeshift SCUBA gear.
The old SCUBA tank, and the three kinds of Mer-kin masks that you can make out of your aerated diving helmet are all new since the code you looked at was written.

As lost says, it would be nice to have quest tracking, but we could at least check for the new items.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Revision 12221 lets you visit Big Brother if you have a bubblin' stone, an aerated diving helmet, or any of the Mer-kin masks. Those actually indicate that you have rescued him at least once, not necessarily on this ascension, so obviously, if you haven't actually rescued him, the purchase will fail, but until we actually have quest tracking for The Sea, we can't fix that.