KolMafia Guide for Noobs.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
How 'bout small animated pics? (Yeah, as if we have that much time...)

Honestly, though, the problem I see with videos is that if you make 'em too small, you run into resolution problems. And nobody can really see what's going on.

icon315

Honestly, though, the problem I see with videos is that if you make 'em too small, you run into resolution problems. And nobody can really see what's going on.

No one ever said that they had to be included in the actual forum, why not include links?

EDIT: By small i did not mean in size but in length

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
There are only so many times I (and probably others) are willing to open up videos in new tabs just to get a bit of info. Plus, there's always the possibility of certain videos getting linked to... like rickrolls...

icon315

Yeah, but SinginSally will be the one to add the links to the post, we make the videos and send her the link. which she then puts in the post.

Man, that looks great! Keep up the fine work, and I think it will really help make the guide TONS better than the Wall of Text it was before.

Bale

Minion
Well, I'm continuing along, adding illustrations every day or two. Currently illustrating part 3. At this rate I should be done in a month. No rush, right? :)

icon315

need any help? i could help, but it may take a while for me to start since i accidently broke my computer screen :(

StDoodle

Minion
That's been my general stance on all wiki stuff; better to take it slow, but keep going, than to take it fast and have everyone burn out. ;)

icon315

I wish i was good enough to add stuff, but the only thing i am starting to be good at is making relay override scripts, and I am not even that good at that

StDoodle

Minion
If the wiki formatting is too much for you (and I completely understand if so, it's kinda complicated), feel free to post any helpful notes right onto my User Talk Page and I'll make sure to add them. Relay scripting is actually the least complete of all function categories, so any helpful tips and how-to's you've come across would be appreciated.

StDoodle

Minion
Sorry to double-post, but this is an entirely new subject:

I have in mind the idea of breaking off the guide into it's own section on the main page, with links to each specific part. Originally, I was going to do a separate guide to all parts of the KoLmafia interface; however, much of this info is in the guide, and as such, I'd like to slightly re-organize things to make it the official repository of non-ash mafia info.

Anyone have any objections? (Esp. Sally & Bale, as you two have done the bulk of the work on it.)

Bale

Minion
I have no objection. This won't have any effect on my work illustrating the guide, right?

How would the guide be re-organized?

StDoodle

Minion
I have no objection. This won't have any effect on my work illustrating the guide, right?

Nothing as far as the actual information. It may have an eventual effect on the inter-linking.

How would the guide be re-organized?
What I plan to do is go through and organize the various parts of mafia into a hierarchy (interface as the main, subs of menu, sidebar, and tabs / windows, with subs for some of the tabs / windows) and try to fit the guide into that structure & other categories.

I'm currently messing around with those nifty dynamic menus (the click to show / hide thingies), and I plan on making a template that one can simply copypasta into the navigation part of each page, so that 1) it's easy to make said update and 2) future additions & such only require a change to the template.

It's going to be slow going, but it's my next major wiki goal (most of the functions that I understand have pages now, so it's on to the next phase).

Edit to add:

I realize not all of the guide fits perfectly well with the outlined structure. I plan on tackling that piece-by-piece myself, when I get to that part. However, if you want to look into it, feel free. Also, it would be something nice to keep in mind for future edits.

StDoodle, that sounds like a lot of work. I'd recommend letting Bale continue to add his excellent illustrations.

Is there any way you can do both? Keep a main page for the guide with the different lessons in the order given. But then link certain pages to various pieces of functionality?

I'd like for this wiki-fied version to be the Real Guide that I point people to. But yeah, you are welcome to do whatever you want with the guide.