KoLmafia doesn't seem to function on my laptop. Please assist!

Drkirre

Righty-ho then. Running a laptop with plenty of power (dual core, 8 gigs ram, dedicated vidcard), I figured KoLmafia would run like a dream on it! So I get it, install, and lo and behold... bupkiss. The login screen runs fine and/or dandy. But the adventure bit simply never appears... what could I do to resolve this most unusual issue?
Of note: I do have the latest Java installed.
Running the program does indeed cause java and koLmafia to appear in task manager. The latter taking up an oddly low amount of ram, only 3-900 kb.
The version of mafia failing is 9692, but it also fails on the previous 5, and 14.7 EXE. It does this on both a fresh install, and a confirmed working install from main computer.
I can include a dxdiag if it would help!

Last edited:

Winterbay

By "the latest Java installed" do you mean Java 1.7? If so there have been reports of this failing to work, so your best bet would in that case be to uninstall Java and reinstall a slightly older Java-version. Mafia is designed to work with Java 1.4 so a step back is no problem in that regard.

Drkirre

I'm currently using Java 6, rev. 24. No luck getting it to run. Hopefully I'll be able to find an older one (can't find a link on Java's site ATM) >.<

Theraze

Yeah... I've used both r24 and r26 successfully, so... look for something besides a Java 6 version.

Last edited:

roippi

Developer
That behavior you're describing is identical to that of a Java 7 installation, so be 100% sure you don't have multiple JREs going on.