Java error

stannius

I am getting an error when I try to go into chat. Were I a gamblin' man, I would speculate Sun removed a method from the latest version of Java. I am using JRE 1.6.0.6.

Exception in thread "Thread-14" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: net.java.dev.spellcast.utilities.DataUtilities.getOutputStream(Ljava/io/File;Z)Ljava/io/F
ileOutputStream;
at net.java.dev.spellcast.utilities.ChatBuffer.setActiveLogFile(ChatBuffer.java:222)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.session.ChatManager.openInstantMessage(ChatManager.java:1208)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.session.ChatManager.getChatBuffer(ChatManager.java:302)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.session.ChatManager.getChatBuffer(ChatManager.java:287)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.session.ChatManager.processChatMessage(ChatManager.java:947)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.session.ChatManager.processChatMessage(ChatManager.java:820)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.session.ChatManager.processChatMessage(ChatManager.java:738)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.session.ChatManager.handleChatData(ChatManager.java:632)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.session.ChatManager.updateChat(ChatManager.java:666)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.RelayRequest.handleChat(RelayRequest.java:1092)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.RelayRequest.run(RelayRequest.java:1182)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.LocalRelayAgent.readServerResponse(LocalRelayAgent.java:326)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.LocalRelayAgent.performRelay(LocalRelayAgent.java:127)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.LocalRelayAgent.run(LocalRelayAgent.java:104)

You want someone to answer? OK, I don't know how helpful you will find this, but here it is:

Sun may have removed a function from their pool of functions, or maybe they moved it to another file which is not currently imported by the file where the error came up.

That answer may not be right though. Holatuwol may have inadvertently removed the function from Kolmafia in a code optimization thinking it was no longer used anywhere in Kolmafia.

Honestly I have no clue. What I do know is that Holatuwol and Veracity and other people helping out with the development of Kolmafia have lives too, and cannot spend their life debugging this program. They spend plenty of time doing that, and they will get to your issue. Just not right when you want them to.

There is no need sending the moderators and admins of this sight such reports that are so rude. Holatuwol and Veracity are admins too, how do you think they feel receiving that report?

holatuwol

Developer
I believe the actual solution is to run "ant" (which runs the debug target) or "ant debug" or "ant clean jar".

If you run "ant jar" or "ant exec" for any reason, you need to be aware that these are for my own personal use so as to not tax/fragment my system unnecessarily. They don't do a clean recompile of all the different files whenever I change method signatures, so you shouldn't use it unless you know for certain that I haven't changed any method signatures.