Item loss bug in Mafia

saucybandit

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, or whether this has been reported before, but I can confirm that there is a glitch in Mafia that causes item loss. The first instance of item loss that I recall occurred last November.

This bug(?) caused me to lose the the three tombstone quest items on my softcore multi, and most recently, I lost two inhalers that I pulled on a recent softcore run. Two runs before this last one, I also lost some reinforced corduroys. The problem seems to occur whenever items are being moved or acquired.

The only thing I've noticed is that each time, Mafia has lagged a lot before I lost the items. Is this a known bug, and if it is, can I avoid it? I'm mad because this borked by best ascension yet :((.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Did you check in the Relay Browser to see if you had them and mafia just didn't realize it? You can't "lose" quest items, but it's certainly possible that mafia lost track of them.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
It is impossible for KoLmafia to actually "lose" items, although it can certainly lose track of them temporarily. As suggested, look for them in the Relay Browser. Alternatively, refresh your inventory on the Item Manager, or simply log out and log in again.

If you want to consider whether KoLmafia can "lose" items when it "moves or acquires" items, consider how you would "move or acquire" items in a browser without using KoLmafia. You would visit certain pages and click certain things. By doing so, is it possible for you to "lose" items? No?

Then consider that KoLmafia "moves and acquires" items by visiting those same pages and clicking the same things. It does NOTHING that you can't do on your own. It CAN'T do anything else; Jick doesn't give any KoLmafia secret powers.

I'm not going to spend so much as a second looking for your "item loss bug". There is none.

saucybandit

Veracity, I realize that Mafia shouldn't be able to lose items.

I do, however, have two pieces of evidence that strongly suggest that there is a problem in some system, somewhere. My softcore multi cannot ascend because I lost not one, but all three of the stone tablets during the level 13 quest. I do not have the tablets in my inventory, the statues are empty, and the game will not allow me to acquire new ones. I lost the tablets when I was using the tower autocomplete feature on the Quests pulldown in Mafia. I am absolutely certain that those items are gone. I can document this if need be.

Secondly, during the level 12 quest, I lost two inhalers when I multi-used them inside mafia. This happened last night. I tried logging in normally, and the items were gone. I had not acquired the 200% meat effect. I can verify this because the Nuns sidequest quest took 34 turns instead of 25 turns (I used one inhaler, and I was in ronin so I couldn't purchase more).

What I do know, is that during the first six months I played KoL, I didn't used Mafia, and I never lost items. Both of these losses happened while I was using Mafia. On hearing your explanation of how Mafia functions, it seems like it couldn't be Mafia. It makes intuitive sense.

I apologize for the over-conclusiveness of my previous post.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
If mafia is able to lose required quest items, even through a bug, then it's a bug in KoL that needs fixing. At the very least, mafia can't give you the items back, so you'll have to file an in-game bug report. The inhalers could have been mistakenly put in your Display Case or mall through a misclick or some bizarre bug, but there shouldn't be any way to remove the quest items from your inventory, including crafty URL injection.

Since we can conclude that there must be some in-game bug involved, maybe you just got hit with a really weird bug, and it was merely a coincidence that you were using mafia.

Rinn

Developer
If you got to the tower you wouldn't need the tablets any more. You lose the tablets opening the hedge maze, so I think you're confused.

saucybandit

@ Rinn - I lost the tablets in the area before the hedge maze, but after the mirror.

I also wanted to say that Mafia is pretty slammin' software. Mafia is awesome software. It's exactly the sort of thing that KoL needs to remain playable. I would've stopped playing KoL (and donating) were it not for Mafia.

dangerpin

[quote author=Rinn link=topic=2173.msg11279#msg11279 date=1232645000]
If you got to the tower you wouldn't need the tablets any more. You lose the tablets opening the hedge maze, so I think you're confused.
[/quote]

Saucybandit probably means the Entryway (Lucky or Unlucky) quest pulldown. I, myself, have accidently hit the Tower quest pulldown when I meant to use the Entryway quest and never had it lose a thing, so I don't think that is the root of the problem.

The stone tablets cannot be traded, discarded, pulverized or autosold so if these are gone it is truly a Kingdom glitch and you should be making a bug report to TPTB in-game.