Bug - Fixed ice stein not supported

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
For some reason, I just discovered that we don't support the ice stein. Here's what it does:

- it is a "usable" item.
- If you do not have an ice-cold six-pack in inventory, "using" it fails with the message "Hmm. One can of beer isn't going to be sufficient for this. This is a job for a six-pack." and the item is not consumed.
- (This is not in the Wiki) If you have an ice-cold six-pack but are overdrunk, it fails with the message "You're way too drunk already." and the item is not consumed.
- If you do have an ice-cold six-pack in inventory and are not overdrunk, both the six-pack and the ice-stein are consumed. You gain 6 Drunkenness and gain 12 adventures - twice the number of 6 ice-cold beers - and 24-48 mana points. At least, that is what the Wiki says. I used one today with Ode to Booze active and it gave me 16 adventures.

Things we don't do:

- If you have an ice-cold six-pack in inventory, the ice stein should go on the Usables/Booze section of the item manager, with appropriate data to indicate adventures. Perhaps the way to do this is to put it in inebriety.txt as a 6 drunk drink that gives 12 adventures - although, we'd predict that Ode to Booze would add 6 adventures to it, in that case. I'll try using more tomorrow; perhaps there is variability.
- We should warn about Ode and overdrinking when using this item.
- We should recognize when you try to use one and it fails.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Some observations:

breaking an ice-cold six-pack into 6 ice-cold beers and consuming them with Ode gives 6 drunk, 12 adventures, and 12-24 MP
using an ice stein and an ice-cold six pack without Ode gives 6 drunk, 12 adventures, and 24-48 MP
using an ice stein and an ice-cold six pack with Ode gives 6 drunk, 16 adventures, and 24-48 MP, and does not consume turns of Ode

That last one is unique. I'd expect it to yield 18 adventures (+1 per drunk) and consume 6 turns of Ode. But, no.

I don't especially want to support displaying the unique Ode effect - +4 adventures for a 6 drunk drink. Nor do I especially want to support a unique calculation for how many turns of Ode are required to get the improved yield, since it doesn't actually use up turns of it.

I'd consider writing a KoL bug report, but I'd wager that even if somebody on /dev confirms my observations, Jick et. al. will be uninterested in thinking about whether this is a bug or not, much less changing it, with the result that I will get no response.

That tends to be a buzz kill vs. my motivation to report bugs.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
P.S. I am sure this hardcoded in KoL. "use an ice stein and get 12 adventures, or 16 if Ode is active". Since it does not consume turns of Ode, it doesn't need to calculate how many extra adventures you get based on remaining turns of the effect. So, I expect it is "working as intended".

Still doesn't make me want to spend extra time coding in the exceptions, since I am quite sure that anybody who is using this item rather than just 6 beers knows what to expect.

xKiv

That could be a leftover from the old Ode to Booze, which gave +adventures based on what the yield would be without it (and it gave +4 to anything above 10 - so it would increase 12 to 16, just as observed), and also didn't get used up.