How do I keep ASH scripts from outputting to the CLI?

Fluxxdog

I love >>/dev/null It's a sassy way of keeping information you don't need from popping up. But that's another story, another time.

One script I'm running can potentially spit out a LOT of data to the CLI, quite needlessly at that. set_property() will display "property => blahblahblahblah" and if the blahs are long, it can take up quite a bit of room.

Is there any way to keep set_property() from putting out any output? I know speculate has a quiet command, but it's the only thing I've seen like that.

StDoodle

Minion
As much as it would sometimes be nice to have "cleaner" execution of scripts, changing properties can have a HUGE impact on one's use of KoLmafia, so I'm not all that comfortable with a script being able to change them without alerting the user. But this may not be the consensus.

As much as it would sometimes be nice to have "cleaner" execution of scripts, changing properties can have a HUGE impact on one's use of KoLmafia, so I'm not all that comfortable with a script being able to change them without alerting the user. But this may not be the consensus.

I agree i would never like a script to change settings without user check.

Fluxxdog

I see the issue. And on the flip side, if the user is never looking at the CLI, it's not important anyway. Eh, I just get over it.

Winterbay

I see the issue. And on the flip side, if the user is never looking at the CLI, it's not important anyway. Eh, I just get over it.

Well, apart from potentially filling up the session log and thus the drive it is stored on. Probably a small problem though :)

Theraze

If you're setting enough properties that it'll fill up the whole drive with a script, then I at least would want to know what's getting set that poorly, since that level of setting would be doing horrors to your CPU cycles...

Fluxxdog

Heh, it's either a bunch of different properties or one property getting appended to multiple times.
Code:
set_property("propname",get_property("propname")+newdata)
What I'm using it for is meant to be added on to once in a while, but when you first start it up, it gets very messy as it can be adding up to 50 things at once. Shouldn't be filling a whole drive though.

StDoodle

Minion
Unless you need to set once-per-day properties, I highly recommend using zlib. 9 times out of 10 it's a much easier & cleaner solution vs. setting custom properties. And if you're doing that for built-in properties... well, that should be rare, at the least.

Fluxxdog

I use zlib quite a bit, but zlib is not intended to update settings from within scripts while they're running. Thanks though ^^

slyz

Developer
Why not? You can find all of your Zlib settings in the vars map, changing a setting is as simple as
Code:
vars["setting"] = "value";

You can simply use updatevars() to save everything to your vars file.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Why not? You can find all of your Zlib settings in the vars map, changing a setting is as simple as
Code:
vars["setting"] = "value";

Will that play nicely with the normalization work zarqon is doing? The approach also violates good encapsulation practices although I fully agree that it is pretty fussy to apply those to ASH scripts.

slyz

Developer
vars is still a string [ string ] map (for now at least, but I don't see how this could be different, I hope Z will surprise us!). normalize() is mostly aesthetic for now, since when a script needs to use a zlib var, you still need to transform it from a string to what you want, like this for example:
PHP:
familiar zlib_fam = vars[ "setting" ].to_familiar() ;

Of course, in the example in my other post, the setting was already turned into a string, but you would need to use to_string() somwhere, if that is what you meant.

I didn't quite understand what you mean by encapsulation practices in this case though. Do you mean scripts should change zlib vars by doing:
PHP:
cli_execute( "zlib setting = value" );
I don't think that would work since the vars map that was loaded in the current instance of the script wouldn't be changed. I'll try to test this when I have some time.

Last edited:

Fluxxdog

I know, and I believe Zarqon has a pretty good reason for not mentioning that you can change the entire vars_file while running a script. Not just the map, but the text file that vars reads from. Unless he tells different... Dunno what his take on that approach is.

Edit: Slyz, I like that approach more than using updatevars(). I'll give it a test run myself too.
Edit2:
PHP:
void adjustvars(string varsname, string varsvalue){
	vars[varsname] = varsvalue; updatevars();}
You're right if I used the cli_execute method, they would be out of sync. I had made this before and not used it because of the issue I had above. I'll get over myself. What's more, updatevars() uses vprint. That would address my display concern. And with it modeled after set_property, it's easier to implement.

Last edited: