How do I add my new .jar?

I download my new .jar every few days but don't know where to put it. I can (and do) use the new .jar but it renders the mafia icon on my dock useless. Where am I supposed to put the new .jar file or better yet how do I set up the auto-download/install? I've looked a few times over the last year or so and can't ever get concentrated enough to figure it out :( Any help is appreciated:)

Darzil

Developer
What is your operating system ?

On Windows 7 I have a USB memory stick with a KOL directory, which has all my mafia subdirectories in it. I just put the jar file into the KOL directory and run it from there when I want to start Mafia.

Winterbay

Considering the sentence contained the word "dock" I am assuming a Mac (or possibly *NIX) system, in which case I have no idea (due to lack of experience) of where it should end up :)

xKiv

Are you saving it with the new name (which includes revision number, and is therefore probably unknown to whatever runs when you click the icon on your dock), or overwriting the original .jar file?

I just download it and it goes to my desktop. I open it and my mac asks "U dwnloaded this from the internetz, is you shure you wants ta open it?" and I say yes please (I'm very polite). It then opens mafia and runs as normal. The mafia icon pops up in my dock and sits right next to the one I put there when I downloaded the newest KOLmafia update a few weeks ago.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
The "official" point released will be named KoLmafia-10.1.jar, for example, but the hourly builds have names like KoLmafia-12345.jar, where 12345 is the revision number. Yes, every time you download a new one of those, it has a different name.

You create a dock icon for your .jar file? Fine. Whenever you download a new .jar file, make a new dock icon and delete the old one.

I download my new .jar every few days but don't know where to put it. I can (and do) use the new .jar but it renders the mafia icon on my dock useless. Where am I supposed to put the new .jar file or better yet how do I set up the auto-download/install? I've looked a few times over the last year or so and can't ever get concentrated enough to figure it out :( Any help is appreciated:)
Maybe you should use Warp then? For the life of me I am unable to find a thread about it here, but it should solve this vexing problem (and automate updating Mafia, to boot). Also, WarpLauncher for OS X should work on a system WITHOUT Apple's JDK, which I have a hunch we'll be seeing come 10.9. Anyway... it can be found here: http://www.worldwizard.net/warp/

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Didn't you made Warp require Java 7, for some reason? If I recall, you said something about "I only have Java 7 and therefore I can only generate Java 7 .jar files." But when I explained how to make Eclipse (which you obviously use, based on what is distributed with the Warp sources), force a Java 6 .jar, you didn't respond.

Does Warp still require you to have Java 7?

Didn't you made Warp require Java 7, for some reason? If I recall, you said something about "I only have Java 7 and therefore I can only generate Java 7 .jar files." But when I explained how to make Eclipse (which you obviously use, based on what is distributed with the Warp sources), force a Java 6 .jar, you didn't respond.

Does Warp still require you to have Java 7?
It did in the past, but not anymore. It is now compiled to Java SE 5 standards, like KoLmafia itself is - as i_eat_food said above.

Ok, downloaded the Warp and it seems to be working right. The only issue I was having is I had the KOLMafia icon in the dock, but when I used the .jar I downloaded I would just have the jpeg icon. It wasn't a real issue I just thought that I might be using mafia wrong and missing out on something.

EDIT:
Alright... messed with it a few minutes now and every time I open mafia with the Warp I get a WarpPreferences.xml file. Can I just delete this after I log out or what?

Last edited:
Ok, downloaded the Warp and it seems to be working right. The only issue I was having is I had the KOLMafia icon in the dock, but when I used the .jar I downloaded I would just have the jpeg icon. It wasn't a real issue I just thought that I might be using mafia wrong and missing out on something.

EDIT:
Alright... messed with it a few minutes now and every time I open mafia with the Warp I get a WarpPreferences.xml file. Can I just delete this after I log out or what?
The preferences file stores some Warp-specific settings. If you want to change the defaults, you need to launch Warp with the --prefs argument (easiest to do this from the Terminal). I suppose I could change Warp so that it only creates its settings file if it actually needs to - i.e. you're using non-default settings - if the current behavior bothers you. Another option is to make Warp put its settings somewhere else (along with the version.txt file it also creates) - which is easy enough to do.

EDIT: Released Warp 4.0 with the new preferences behavior. ;)

Last edited: