Bug - Fixed Hermit - getting trinket/getting hermit permit isn't working

Raar

Hi,

I went to buy something from the hermet and realised I was out of trinkets.

I was adventuring in the relay browser, so I tried clicking on the [fish for a worthless item] link.

However it didn't seem to do anything, I was still getting the same error message.

- Bug One

So I went and manually obtained a worthless item using chewing gum on a string.

Then I went back to the hermet - silly me I didn't buy a hermit permit while I was at the market. However I saw the relay browser option: [buy a Hermit Permit]
But it doesn't work.

Every time I click on it the graphical CLI displays:
"You need 1 more hermit permit to continue."

- Bug Two.

Could someone please confirm?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
This works perfectly for me. I do this every day.

Do you have "Buy from NPC stores" checked in Preferences?

Raar

Apologies, No I did not have that option turned on.

Tried it with turning on the option, and everything is fine.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
That tells you what do do to be happy - but it might still be a bug that you need to turn on that preference.

The point of the preference is so that the Item Manager won't show you that you can make a pie - if you let KoLmafia buy some ingredients - and you tell it to do so and are surprised that it costs Meat. You have to opt-in to allowing KoLmafia to buy ingredients like that.

The thing is, the worthless item and hermit permit links in the Relay Browser are already pretty much "commands" from the user to go spend Meat to go fishing or gain access to the Hermit. It's sort of like how we have price limits for auto-buying things from mall stores, but if you explicitly say "buy", we go do it.

I open the floor for general opinions on this.

Raar

I would prefer that if the user explicitly selects an option in the Mafia relay browser, then it will override the "Buy from NPC stores" preference.

I turned it off, because I watch my meat use very carefully, as I am currently playing hardcore and often need to maximise my meat/minimise my spending in order to buy skills and whatnot.

Should I make a poll?

Bale

Minion
Should I make a poll?

No. You really should not. Development of mafia isn't even close to being a democracy so this just sounds like you're trying to use numbers to pressure the devs to do things your way. I'll explain how to go about this since you're new.

What you should do is to explain clearly and without emotion (or words like "annoyance") why this behavior is undesirable. If your argument is good then you may convince Veracity that it should be changed. Changes happen when the devs believe that something is bad enough to warrant the expense of their sparse free time. However they are frequently convinced to employ their time and effort on others behalf when people are polite and they make good points.

It's about the soundness of your argument, not the numbers.

I open the floor for general opinions on this.

The link is explicit and should be obeyed. This is analogous to the fact that mafia will obey a CLI command to buy from an NPC in that situation. Obeying the link is simple consistency.

Last edited:

relyk

It was a conundrum to me as to why the links didn't work. Clicking the link implies intent to purchase, so not executing it because of a setting can be inconvenient. Or you could have it prompt you to turn on the setting to allow mafia to buy from the store if clicking the link with the setting off. Otherwise new users won't know why the link didn't work.

Theraze

Or you could have it prompt you to turn on the setting to allow mafia to buy from the store if clicking the link with the setting off. Otherwise new users won't know why the link didn't work.

If it prompted you, it would most likely be in the gCLI, which you won't be seeing because you're playing in the relay browser. If you know to watch both (or turn on the gCLI on the right side of your relay browser), you're probably aware of most of the little ways in which mafia follows its own rules.

I agree that the best behaviour is that if you say you want to buy a permit, it should do it. Similar to how (I believe) 'buy hermit permit' in the gCLI will buy it if you have the meat for it, regardless of preferences.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Revision 9326 now considers autoworthless and autopermit requests (what you get from those Relay Browser links) to be "manual" rather than "automated" and thus not subject to the autoSatisyWithNPCs setting.

Raar

Still getting the error

Revision 9326 now considers autoworthless and autopermit requests (what you get from those Relay Browser links) to be "manual" rather than "automated" and thus not subject to the autoSatisyWithNPCs setting.

I tried just now to purchase a worthless trinket via the relay browser with the purchase from NPCs option turned off. It didn't work.

I logged out, closed KOlmafia, reloaded KOLmafia and tried again, still no luck.

I am using v14,.6 daily build r9346

I have attached a link to my debug file.
https://rapidshare.com/files/2475494081/DEBUG_20110525.txt

Bale

Minion
No way. Veracity said it is fixed and I'm sticking with her. I'll go turn off my "buy items from NPC stores whenever needed" preference and then I'll click on the hermit in the relay browser to prove it!

Code:
[COLOR="#ff0000"]You need 1 more hermit permit to continue.
You need 1 more chewing gum on a string to continue.
Unable to acquire 1 worthless items.
You need 1 more chewing gum on a string to continue.
Unable to acquire 1 worthless items.[/COLOR]

Oh, heck. I'm removing "fixed" from the tag. This bug is broken.

Darzil

Developer
Bale, had you just opened the shore and got the dingy planks? I keep meaning to report it, but I cannot autoaquire permit and worthless items via relay browser after getting dingy planks unless I restart Mafia. It's been like that for months. It's the only time I have an issue via the browser.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I just tried it with auto purchase from NPCs turned off. It worked fine.
Your link sends me to an advertisement.

Theraze

Here's the 6k file from Rapidshare, inexplicably uploaded there instead of properly being attached to his post above... *blinks* Anyways, not my debug log but Raar's.

Attachments

• DEBUG_20110525.txt
    6.7 KB · Views: 66

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Ha ha ha. Apparently in my testing, I disabled NPC purchasing but still had mall purchasing - and some lucky mall store sold me chewing gum....
Revision 9348

Raar

Here's the 6k file from Rapidshare, inexplicably uploaded there instead of properly being attached to his post above... *blinks* Anyways, not my debug log but Raar's.

When I went to do a quick reply there was no option to add a generic attachment, only add a link, or an image or a video. I went with the link option.

Revision 9348

I can confirm the chewing gum purchase works , but I used the hermit script last night so can not test the permit link.
I can turn off the auto NPC purchase option again.
Thanks for the fix Veracity!