Hatrack Familiar Effects

Maclav

Currently fairy, volley and lep familiars add their corresponding information to the status sidebar for Exp, Meat % and Item %. Would it be possible to add the hatrack effects when they are wearing appropriate hats to this?

As a nice wish would be to add a brief desc beside each hat in the familiar equipment pulldown, ei:

"Chef's Hat - 7, Atk + 3*lep"

I am willing to put time into a data file if needed.

jasonharper

Developer
While this would certainly be a useful feature, I don't have a Hatrack, and I'm not sure if any of the other developers have one either - that makes testing any changes a bit difficult!

One thing that's not clear from reading the Wiki entry - how is the "weight cap" shown? Is the weight shown in the left pane simply limited to this number, or is it shown as something like "X (capped at Y)", or is it something else entirely?

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
[quote author=jasonharper link=topic=1976.msg9447#msg9447 date=1225398515]
One thing that's not clear from reading the Wiki entry - how is the "weight cap" shown? Is the weight shown in the left pane simply limited to this number, or is it shown as something like "X (capped at Y)", or is it something else entirely?
[/quote]
The number in the left pane is simply limited to that cap.

jasonharper

Developer
Ok, as of r6453 there will be specific descriptions for familiar equipment in the Gear Changer - that part of your request is useful (and testable!) without having a Hatrack. (Quick: which of the five ant gardening tools does stench damage?)

Hats should be shown as "balaclava (cold atk, 1.5xLep, cap 12)", for example. Weapons are shown exactly as they were before, as there doesn't seem to be any extra info that would be useful for choosing one to use with a Disembodied Hand.

jasonharper

Developer
[quote author=lostcalpolydude link=topic=1976.msg9484#msg9484 date=1225529821]
I'm only seeing the hat name in the Gear Changer, 6457.
[/quote]
Have you perhaps done an "update", sometime since the v12.6 release? You have to manually clear out the old files from the "data" folder when downloading a daily build, only a final release that changes the program's version number will automatically clear them.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
[quote author=jasonharper link=topic=1976.msg9485#msg9485 date=1225531580]
Have you perhaps done an "update", sometime since the v12.6 release? You have to manually clear out the old files from the "data" folder when downloading a daily build, only a final release that changes the program's version number will automatically clear them.
[/quote]
So every time something changes in one of those files, I have to download all 21 of them? And there's no clear indication that "update" needs to be done? Sadly, this leads me to wondering if I should figure out an AppleScript to open mafia, run "update", quit mafia, and reopen it every time I want to use mafia. The main drawback is that it seems like a waste of bandwidth. I don't actually download stuff from the forum, that's too much work to do regularly, I just open up Terminal and type in "mafia" to have subversion run, along with replacing my current .app with a new one.

So that's my current situation. Am I missing something, or should I really be running "update" regularly just in case there's something in need of updating?

dangerpin

If you are running subversion you shouldn't need to use the "update" command at all, that is where the problem crops up, if I am understanding this correctly.

Just delete your Data folder and keep happily running subversion.

jasonharper

Developer
The "update" command is essentially useless. The idea was that, at some point, the program would become stable enough that it would no longer need to change; you'd just update the data files occasionally, to let it know about new items and zones. In practice, KoL continues to change on a regular basis in ways that the data files cannot describe - actual code changes are required.

Clear out your data folder once (except for itemflags.txt - that contains your junk and memento item lists), and forget that "update" even exists.

Rinn

Developer
Maybe itemflags.txt should move into a separate directory (settings?) so people don't accidently delete it if they update. It also seems like something that should be a per user file instead of shared.

zarqon

I'd echo jason's recommendation. A while back I felt like a good netizen by trying to use "update" rather than d/ling the latest build, but the changes are more often than not changes to the app rather than the data files.

Also, if you clear out your data folder, make sure you don't delete any data files you have added as a result of installing scripts, or the scripts will stop working.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
The only times I've ever used "update" are when something wasn't working, and someone said to use update. I don't remember ever doing it instead of a subversion update, so I don't know how I got to the situation I was in.