Feature Handling of Nemesis Cave paper strips/Giant Castle progression

Explorifice

Opening paper strips when the "Check wiki for item descriptions" preference is enabled causes them to be mishandled, resulting in the static wiki images for the strips. It would be useful if those items (3144, 4138-4144) were overridden such that they always open with the ingame description.

On another note, it would be highly useful if the opening of new Castle floors included an "Adventure in ___ floor" link below the message instead of returning to the castle. (minor gripe)

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Opening paper strips when the "Check wiki for item descriptions" preference is enabled causes them to be mishandled, resulting in the static wiki images for the strips. It would be useful if those items (3144, 4138-4144) were overridden such that they always open with the ingame description.
Why would that be useful? Mafia will solve that puzzle for you anyway. Maybe you aren't aware that you can check Preferences -> Relay Browser -> "Show blatant spoilers for choices and puzzles" to get that feature, and checking it will solve your issue there. Or maybe you want to solve it manually every time; in that case, you could temporarily turn off the setting to use wiki item descriptions.

On another note, it would be highly useful if the opening of new Castle floors included an "Adventure in ___ floor" link below the message instead of returning to the castle. (minor gripe)
If this is done at all, it should be done for all of those (such as in The Sea), not just the Castle.

Why would that be useful? Mafia will solve that puzzle for you anyway. Maybe you aren't aware that you can check Preferences -> Relay Browser -> "Show blatant spoilers for choices and puzzles" to get that feature, and checking it will solve your issue there. Or maybe you want to solve it manually every time; in that case, you could temporarily turn off the setting to use wiki item descriptions.

So, I occasionally do try to solve such puzzles on my own, but with the way it is now, an unsophisticated mafia user won't know to turn that off or perhaps even not know that they are not getting the correct images.

Also, mafia already has a place to handle this and does so for the dusty bottles (which mafia auto solves for you as well).

This patch will show the in-game descriptions and should be less confusing for a user.

Attachments

• strips.patch
    779 bytes · Views: 23
No, I expect they turned that on or someone told them to turn it on. It is a big draw of mafia. I personally know many people who have asked where the general spoilers went and were directed to that setting.

They won't however know that it is hindering their understanding of this puzzle.

edit: relayShowSpoilers may be the wiki one and not the spolier one i was thinking.

Still, even if so, they know the wiki exists and can easily turn that one on without knowing it will NOT allow then to work out the password in the relay browser. Which is quite odd.

Last edited: