Bug - Fixed Groar is "cauld as the drifting snow" (Cunningham)

zarqon

Groar, living as he does up on the Icy Peak, is in fact -- as Chaucer rightly had it -- as colde as eny froste. However, of this mafia remains unknowing:

> ash monster_element($monster[groar])

Returned: none

> ash $monster[groar].attack_element

> ash $monster[groar].defense_element

Not only does the Wiki list him as being as cold as a dead man's nose, but both myself and Winterbay have independently confirmed that he is in fact as cold as a hot-water bag in the morning. Cold as the cloyster'd nun. Cold as Diana's Crescent.

NOTE: You may stop reading here without missing anything especially pertinent to this report.

There are really quite a lot of cold similes in literature. Algernon Swinburne seems to have a particular affinity for cold, having compared it to dawn, blight of dew, rains in autumn, the cast-off garb which is as cold as clay (a simile within a simile), and fears.

Other authors have given all of the following for X in the phrase "cold as X": the grave (Arnold), a crypt (Balzac), a corpse (Bronte), cucumbers (Beaumont and Fletcher), salt (Huneker), a bubbling well (Keats), a young nun the day she is envested (Behn), graveyard stones from which the lichen's scraped (Browning), the rocks of Torneo's hoary brow (Campbell), clay (Coleridge, perhaps the inspiration for Swinburne), a fireless hearth (Massey), marble (Petrarch), the moon (Tabb), winter's sky (Symonds), loveless duty done (Anderson), a frozen chaos (Shelley), a snowball (Shakespeare... really), a star (Watson, rather ignorantly), the world's heart (Reade, equally ignorantly), the clod (De Vere), the snows of Rhodope (More), Death's chill hand (Mickle), and finally "the rank and wasting weeds, which lie in the pool’s dark bed" (Whittier).

But wait! Some authors also recognized that certain animals are cold, supplying these for X: the coiling water-snake (Holmes), a turtle (Cumberland), an earthworm (Maeterlinck), and a fish (Meredith). Let us add to this meager list Groar, so that someday those of scholarly mien may cite us around the dinner table as saying "as cold as Groar."

This may be the highest post-effort:bug-severity ratio yet seen on these forums.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member

This may be the highest post-effort:bug-severity ratio yet seen on these forums.
In an initial post, probably. I'm sure there are threads where several pages were spent to figure out a trivial bug, or even just a user's lack of awareness of some setting.

Erich

I question who the first person was to walk outside and go "you know what, I've groped my fair share of witches, and this feels very much like their teets".

Bale

Minion
"As cold as Groar" does have a nice ring to it, but my favorite is "cold as graveyard stones from which the lichen's scraped." I'll have to try to work that into my conversation now and again.

I question who the first person was to walk outside and go "you know what, I've groped my fair share of witches, and this feels very much like their teets".

My experience has demonstrated that simile to be as ignorant as those written by Watson and Reade.