Feature Goofballs

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Getting the first goofball of a run for free seems to me to be one of those things that mafia could always do, that cannot hurt. The difficulty lies in detecting that the currently available goofballs are free.

Possibilities:

If the Tavern is visited as part of adventuring then check for and get free goofballs.
If the Tavern is available at login then check for and get free goofballs.
If free goofballs are available at pre-ascension then add a link to get them in the Common Things People Forget To Do.

Discuss.

Thanks.

Theraze

If we know they're free, without another server hit to get to that point, then yes, taking them with a server hit is good. Long as you don't actually use them, they aren't going to hurt. Also, while it does mean one server hit per ascension, it will save a bunch of server hits once people realize they don't have to go get them manually and keep checking to see if it's that time, especially if it's part of a script that does it automatically as part of login/logout.

Bale

Minion
I already have this in my preAscensionScript:

Code:
void goofballs() {
	if(visit_url("tavern.php?place=susguy&pwd").contains_text("First bottle's free, man")) {
		print("I know they're bad for me, but... \"Hey! Free Goofballs!\"", "olive");
		visit_url("tavern.php?action=buygoofballs&pwd");
	}
}

Theraze

Same, but that's 1-2 server hits every time it gets run, and some people do their preAscension scripts manually. If mafia grabbed the goofballs automatically as soon as it knew they were available, we could remove those from our preAscension scripts and save the server hit, which would be especially good for the manual executors.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
You could always set some value to my_ascensions() when you actually grab the goofballs, and check that value to see if you should currently bother with the server hit. That's what mafia will have to do anyway, right?

Winterbay

I think I've only taken one free sample ever in my time in KoL. I see no need to start now (and thus actually add one server hit), so I would hope this to be toggleable if introduced.