Bug Gong wasted at the end of journey

big_mara

This was partially my fault, but the behavior was not what I would consider normal at all. I had spent my 15 turns under form of bird and wrote /use gong in the chat window before collecting my reward. Mafia picked up my reward for me and, for some odd reason, used the gong under form of the roach:

[139] Noob Cave
Encounter: Welcome Back!
You acquire an item: glimmering roc feather
Using 1 llama lama gong...
Encounter: The Gong Has Been Bung
Encounter: Form of...Cockroach!
You acquire an effect: Form of...Cockroach! (duration: 3 Adventures)
Encounter: You gain a Muscle point!
You gain 49 Strongness
You gain a Muscle point!
Encounter: You gain a Muscle point!
You gain 53 Beefiness
You can now equip a asbestos staff (and possibly other things).
You gain a Muscle point!
Encounter: Welcome Back!
You acquire an effect: Ack! Barred! (duration: 20 Adventures)
Finished using 1 llama lama gong.

[142] Defiled Alcove
Encounter: Bad ASCII Art
Round 0: big_mara wins initiative!
Round 1: big_mara casts ENTANGLING NOODLES!
Round 2: big_mara casts CANNELLONI CANNON!
Round 3: big_mara casts CANNELLONI CANNON!
Round 4: big_mara casts CANNELLONI CANNON!
Round 5: big_mara casts CANNELLONI CANNON!

Not to bitch, but that's 3 turns of ultra buffed, high-end HCO wasted, in addition to the gong. I tried replicating this on another account outside of mafia and it doesn't happen. Why would form of the roach - muscle - be the default? I'm using build 9536.

EDIT: someone pointed me to the choice adventures - items tab. I've never seen this before. My problem remains: why would that feature default to muscle? Actually, why does that feature exist?

Last edited:

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Sigh.

You typed /use gong in chat - before finishing birdform.
Mafia finished your birdform for you and passed on the "use item" request that you had submitted to KoL through your browser, passing through KoLmafia.
KoL redirected to a choice adventure, and KoLmafia, for whatever reason, treated as if it were automated - it took the choice adventure option that you had selected in your settings.

What could you have done?
- not typed /use gong before you got the back to reality choice.
- set up your choice option to do what you wanted.
- not said "not to bitch" and followed it up with blame, blame, blame, making me feel hostile and uncooperative.
- not asked "why does that feature exist?" Ditto.

Some day, I may look into why KoLmafia automatically took the choice adventure for you. It happened to me once, and I, too, was puzzled why it did 4 adventures of Roachform for me - again, as if it were automated. It would help if I had a repeatable sequence of steps for reproduction.

But, I can't say I feel motivated to investigate, at the moment.

Sorry, too bad, fortunately there are other developers, and perhaps they will investigate.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
The default option is "show in browser", so at some point you changed it (or a script you used changed it, possibly).

big_mara

Feature request: delete post. I attempted to do it immediately after realizing my mistake. my edit only made me look crazier. apologies. (I am still curious as to how/why it defaults the way it does as I used about zero scripts that aren't BCC's profile and a restocking script.)