Bug - Not A Bug Getting a leg up choice adventure unsupported?

Doc

Heh, hope I picked the right prefix. Anyway, the "getting a leg up" choice adventure is unsupported in mafia, to the best of my knowledge I have the latest build. What is odd is that like most choice adventures there are brackets underneath telling me what the various choices will give me. Now, that to me indicates that mafia knows what is going on. xD But when I hit the "auto" button in the corner it says that manual override is requested, and when I go into the choice adventures tab and the zone tab there is nothing displayed.

Is this a bug or something that I have done wrong?

Last edited:

slyz

Developer
I didn't find any reference to "getting a leg up" in the KoLWiki, where does it occur?

About the prefix: just leave it at "bug". The devs then change the prefix so they can keep a tab on what is happening with all the reports.

Doc

Thanks Slyz, but I can't figure out how to edit the prefix now...

And thanks Theraze, is anyone else having this problem? I managed to temporarily fix it by editing the .ash I was using to farm there ( set_property("choiceAdventure453","2"); ) (I'm not much of a coder but putting that in seemed like such an easy fix).

Last edited:

Theraze

So then, this thread would be closed as not a bug whenever the next mod pokes through, since it's already listed? Do note that, on my screen at least, seeing it involves scrolling down the choice list by a page, twice.

Spiny

Found it by doing the choice adventures by number, and searching one at a time... not sure what's going on with their search, since it seems to be named normally. Anyways, choiceadv number 453, page is http://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/index.php/Getting_a_Leg_Up for wiki.

In re to the wiki search thing... it's the darned capitalization. getting a leg up yields nothing. Getting a leg up yields nothing. Getting a Leg Up yields the correct page. I hate these situations with a passion. If it's ambiguous it should show up along with the ambiguous other potentials. But that gripe doesn't really belong here in this thread. Sorry.

Theraze

Well, knowing WHY it didn't show up is useful, in that it means we can query for capitalization when people have problems in the future. :)

Spiny

Nod there are pages for urchin urchin and Urchin Urchin, groupie groupie and Grouper Groupie. Each is different and each has a link with redirection to the other in case the person seeking info entered the wrong one. That is fine. But typing something in, if it's remotely close/similar should yield SOMETHING to give the user a chance of finding the right thing. I personally am not going to remember exact capitalization of things when I search for them, so it's a pet peeve that I have to keep retyping things in different ways to find what I'm looking for because the search screen says nothing matches. Again, nothing to do with mafia, so I shouldn't gripe about it here, but the window was open and I felt like yelling lol. Again, sorry.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
The fault lies with whoever made wikipedia in making it fail those cases, I would think. I did add some redirects for capitalization reasons a long time ago, but then people didn't like it so I gave up.

Camber

To preface, I don't know anything about the wiki structure.

Couldn't the search feature in the wiki be told to ignore case?

Theraze

Not necessarily with duplicate names seperated only by case and the like. Anyways, that's the Coldfront wiki, not anything we here on the Kolmafia forums have the slightest bit of control over. :D

Theraze

So the end result answer is to use google and site:kol.coldfront.net to make it search for the adventure? :)

Terion

I believe I was the "a while back" that Quietust mentions. As he and Evilkolbot mentioned, the search will:
- first, look for exactly what you typed, sensitive to all capitalizations you used
- then, look for what you typed with a few capitalization versions: all lower case, all first letters capitalized, all letters capitalized
- then it searches for words in the articles.

Unfortunately, it doesn't search for title case (where important words are capitalized, but other words like prepositions are not) so that causes failures like this when a page name is in title case. In the cases I've seen, a redirect page using all lower case is set up (which I just did for Getting a Leg Up; the search you had tried will work now) to get around this.

I believe the only times a redirect is needed is for "mixed case" page names like this. If the page name is all capitalized words and you type in lower case, the search will correctly find it. And it can't be case-insensitive, because page titles are case sensitive -- familiars with same-name hatchlings are an easy example of this, like the urchin urchin and Urchin Urchin that were mentioned; TPTB use lowercase words for the hatchling and capitalized words for the familiar.

Gramphos

I think the reason for this bug report is that it is easy to overlook the "Item" tab under the Zone tab. Normally when an adventure location is selected the choice adventures of the corresponding zone are listed. However if an adventure that does not have a zone is selected the zone tab will be empty, in that case it would be good for usability KolMafia automatically switches to the item tab.