get all clovers from hermit

zarqon

Unfortunately, while slyz's version is much more conservative with server hits, mine is still more optimal from a player standpoint.

A player with none of the items running slyz's script would use 16 chewing gums, and if the player lacked the requisite 800 meat the script would abort. A player running my script would use 1 chewing gum, and if it got a worthless item (which it might after just one gum use), it would try to exchange it at the hermit. If that succeeded, it would try again, and again, until it failed. This costs more in server hits but is optimal for the player.

Most of the other game changes TPTB have made have been to reduce server hits (macros in particular), but this change necessitates that picky players (most of us scripters, I'd wager) use more. Boo. But yay for making my clover function tiny. Efficiency of any kind is appreciated, I suppose.

slyz

Developer
A player would only use all those chewing gums once - if he doesn't auto-sell, feed, or closet any of the starter items, he would then be guaranteed trinkets for the rest of his run. Everyone would probably end up spending the 650 meat to get all the starter items, but of course spending all this meat on day 1 is probably not necessary.

Speaking of which, the script should probably remove from the closet any missing starting item, and put them back in once it's done (more server hits =( ).

I'm sorry if I hijacked your thread, I just thought that people would use this in aftercore or in situations were meat isn't a problem ^^

Last edited:

zarqon

Fair enough -- your script is indeed better for aftercore. I sometimes use this script in-run as well, so the possibility of saving several hundred meat is worth it to me.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Oh I didn't think of that case ^^
The URL "hermit.php?autopermit=on" makes Mafia auto-buy a permit if needed, but of course I'll make sure you have a trinket before visiting the hermit.

I'll edit this post to add the updated version.

EDIT: and here it is.

Thanks. I'll test tomorrow.

slyz

Developer
I sometimes use this script in-run as well, so the possibility of saving several hundred meat is worth it to me.
I tested using chewing gums with starter items equipped and closeted: you won't get an item if you have it equipped, but you can get it if it's in your closet. You can save meat if you make sure to remove from the closet any starter items you don't have in your bag or equipped.

jwylot

Just a thought. The sweatpants are the only non-tradeable so would it not reduce server hits to simply acquire the other items then use gum for sweatpants?

Theraze

The point is that you're getting them for 50 meat already, so your "saving effort" just means you need to do a server hit and pay double for each individual item, instead of doing a multi-use 18 chewing-gum.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
My head is spinning with all of the changes to mafia to deal with clovers, worthless items and starter items. Is the script here still a preferred solution? Is anyone besides me wondering whether the Breakfast preference of getting clovers should be revisited? Also note that the if the hermit has not been hax0red the economic analysis posted so far does not seem to take into account the cost of a hermit permit.

slyz

Developer
Now that Hola implemented some logic for acquiring worthless items, getting the clovers is as simple as finding out how many there are, telling Mafia to acquire enough worthless items, and using the hermit command. Hola's change will use the server-friendly version in aftercore, and the optimal method in-run.

Last edited:

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Revision 8760 changes the "hermit" command and the Breakfast setting to get clovers.
If you can interact (out of Ronin, or have freed the king in HC), the Breakfast setting to get clovers will get all that the hermit has for trade, rather than limiting you on the number of worthless items you have in inventory; KoLmafia will fetch the necessary number of worthless items from the sewer and will trade them all for clovers.