Error when using SVN checkout - can't create new directory

hey guys - i've been gone a little while so i just updated mafia to the latest .jar and i'm trying to checkout some scripts and i get this error on every single one of them:

Code:
> svn checkout https://svn.code.sf.net/p/winterbay-mafia/autobasement/code/

Starting Checkout...
Validating repo...
Repo validated.
Something went wrong creating directories...
Done.
Requests complete.

not sure if i need to delete existing copies of said scripts, move them around or somehow grant permission in the folders. any assistance would be appreciated.

Winterbay

Mafia will try to create a svn-folder together with all the other folders so it neds permission to do that, but if it could create the folders while run at first it seems odd it shouldn't be able to do so for this one folder...

yeah it seems weird. i mean obviously mafia writes to the sessions folder, etc... i tried creating an svn folder hoping that it being there would be enough, but that's not helping either.

roippi

Developer
You are doing something weird that is keeping java from making directories. Don't know what to tell you.

Also, this is not a tech support thread.

so i am guessing no one else has encountered this. since it doesn't seem as though i'll get a resolution to the issue, can someone tell me if i have a way to download script updates the old fashioned way still?

Bale

Minion
so i am guessing no one else has encountered this.

As stated, this is a problem on your computer, not a problem with mafia. If you want to resolve it (I suspect you do not or else you would have responded to relevant posts), then you'll need to approach the problem from that perspective.

can someone tell me if i have a way to download script updates the old fashioned way still?

Yes. Go to the URL in the svn checkout command. Download them manually.

As stated, this is a problem on your computer, not a problem with mafia. If you want to resolve it (I suspect you do not or else you would have responded to relevant posts), then you'll need to approach the problem from that perspective.

of course i want to resolve it. I'm not sure what responses are expected. no one has asked me anything to help troubleshoot (not that i'm _expecting_ such a thing, but without it I don't know what responses you'd be referring to).

I'm not trying to be an asshole, nor am I an unappreciative entitled jerkoff. I rely on and value the scripts and the time spent on them by all of you guys. To this point all I've been told is that I'm doing something weird (or more precisely that my computer is). My computer has never had a problem with anything else mafia related. It writes to my session folder, it writes to my preferences/moods files.

would it help to know what version of java I have installed? (1.7.0_25) I'm not a java expert - hell i'm not even a java novice.
can i manually create the folder mafia is having trouble creating? what would it be called and where would I put it?

Yes. Go to the URL in the svn checkout command. Download them manually.

Thanks (to Winterbay also, even though I didn't quote you), will do that while I try to get the rest sorted.

Theraze

Well, you could do what the only other person with a problem even slightly similar did that fixed their problem... move your KoLmafia folder to the desktop and run it from there. It successfully updated just fine there. Issue was tied into their folder permissions not allowing new folders to be created...

Bale

Minion
no one has asked me anything to help troubleshoot

The first thing that I would want to know is your Operating System.

If you are using Windows 7 or 8, then you'd need to ensure that you grant permission to create folders and files in your KoLmafia directory. Trying to run it in /Program Files is particularly difficult. Where is your KoLmafia directory?

Win7 and C:\Program Files (x86)\KolMafia\

I've tried granting full permissions a few times to no apparent avail. I'll try moving it to my Desktop per TheRaze's suggestion.

edit: and ta-da! moving it to Desktop seems to have fixed it. What a bunch of crap, I hate Windows.
Thanks everyone for the help, glad it was easy enough to resolve. This is a lifesaver.

Last edited:

Bale

Minion
With Win7 it's really tricky to try to run it in \Program Files. You can probably put it almost anywhere else including the Desktop.

Winterbay

Yeah, mine's in my dropbox folder on a secondary drive (the windows partition is too small to actually have anything on) and that has worked perfectly without me having to do any oddities at all.

Magus_Prime

Win7 and C:\Program Files (x86)\KolMafia\

There are a number of factors, with Windows 7 and 8, that complicate the handling of things in the Program Files and Program Files (x86) directory trees. Moving the KoLMafia directory to anywhere in your user profile should work, as you've discovered by moving it to the Desktop.