Feature - Implemented Don't even think about going to the Tower in Birdform

zarqon

I just habitually ran mafia's tower automation despite being in birdform (in which you can't use combat items... doh!).

Mafia burnt two (2) adventures before getting an error:

Checking prerequisites...
Climbing the tower...
Fighting guardian on level 1 of the tower...

[1980] Sorceress Tower: Level 1
Encounter: Bowling Cricket
Round 0: zarqon wins initiative!
Round 1: zarqon uses the sonar-in-a-biscuit!
KoLmafia thinks it is round 2 but KoL thinks it is round 1
Fighting guardian on level 2 of the tower...

[1980] Sorceress Tower: Level 2
KoLmafia thinks it is round 3 but KoL thinks it is round 1
Round 3: zarqon casts RETURN!
KoLmafia thinks it is round 4 but KoL thinks it is round 2
You need 1 more sonar-in-a-biscuit to continue.

Can mafia include a check for Form of...Bird! in the prerequisites for the tower quest? If it saves a few more people 2 adventures, then it's a check well added. :)

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Not that I don't agree with this being a good feature request, but you would have had to throw away those turns anyway, right?

Bale

Minion
Yeah, I suppose he'd have had to find something else to do while waiting for birdform to wear off. Using birdform when you're about to reach the tower seems kinda foolish. (I'm going to assume that the gong was not used while fighting in the hedge.)

Worthwhile feature though. I've seem mafia try to help out when a player commits even more foolish actions.

Theraze

This patch should disable automated tower guardian fighting while Form of... Bird! is active.

Attachments

• BirdTower.patch
    661 bytes · Views: 42

Bale

Minion
Wouldn't it be nicer to also have an explanatory error message? Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think it would be like...

Code:
KoLmafia.updateDisplay( KoLConstants.ERROR_STATE, "Birds cannot use items. Try to climb the tower later when your form is different." );

Attachments

• BirdTower.patch
    803 bytes · Views: 43
Last edited:

Theraze

Well, I just returned it as if they hadn't completed prerequisites... But I suppose that more screaming is always a good thing. :)

slyz

Developer
(I'm going to assume that the gong was not used while fighting in the hedge.)
I've found myself thinking "Hey, in birdform I could use those Bander runaways to pickpocket the Golems! Oh wait...".

In this case, not adventuring in the Tower with Birdform active is a way to prevent Mafia from getting 'out of synch' with the game rather than a way to prevent a mistake.

To go on a tangent: I wouldn't really want Mafia to warn me that some choices I make a stupid. Like warning me that taking the Hipster to the chasm, thinking it would be a great way to burn some of the delay() on the RAM, is not such a great idea. I like that, once I finally meet one and it gets obliterated after 3 rounds, I feel like I learned a lesson. Or when I spend 20+ advs looking for manual pages in the Oasis after getting the No Colors Anymore adventure, but forgetting to get the Walk Without Rhythm one, I can blame myself for playing in a rush before my first coffee of the day =)

zarqon

Yeah, pickpocketing the golems as a SC was nice; I also got lucky and had only one puzzle piece stolen, so between the two I finished up faster than I expected. I only had a few rounds of birdform left (which I could have at least burned profitably rather than just wasting them). At least I already had my Talon Slashes done so I still got my roc feather.

Thanks for a quickly spun patch. I won't need it added anytime soon (or ever!) but hopefully it helps other idiots. :)