Feature - Implemented disabling autoattack

I have noticed that mafia often likes to turn on auto-attack for you, when you explicitly try to turn it off, multiple times in a row.

Could there be some option or something to say "hey, no, seriously, stop doing that." So that mafia won't keep trying to turn on auto-attack when I very much so do not want auto-attack active? Maybe just a little checkbox near the combat action thing on the adventure pane that says "[ ] set this as autoattack?" which, if unchecked, mafia changes it. Or perhaps better yet, something in preferences that's like.. "[ ] allow mafia to change auto-attack settings?"

Additionally, when you have auto-attack set yourself, I don't think mafia should be allowed to change it for you, without you explicitly asking it to change it. This crops up in places like boss fights, when KoL just doesn't trigger the auto-attack, but then it will continue to trigger later; Mafia just turns it off in these cases, and you have to turn it back on.

IstariAsuka

Yeah, mafia has always been fickle with autoattack, but lately (build 8479) I have found it literally IMPOSSIBLE to turn off auto-attack.

Mafia decided to turn on auto-attack while auto-adventuring in a zone. Fine. It didn't turn it off afterwards, but I'm all smart about it not doing that. So I go into my account menu, and I turn it off. I enter combat (relay browser, now). Hey, autoattack is back on! OK, well, mafia sometimes isn't the smartest. I go to account menu and turn it off again. I enter combat (still relay browser). Autoattack, back on again! I repeat a few times. MAfia keeps doing this. I change the "Action" setting in the mafia interface to see what will happen. Now when combat starts, it changes autoattack to the new setting! I'm sure that would be very helpful if I were autoadventuring, but not when I'm, you know, adventuring in the relay browser. Manually. And repeatedly tryign to turn off autoattack. With mafia only to turn it back on the moment combat starts.

Seriously. It is impossible to turn off. This could actually ruin runs.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
My workaround a while ago was to change mafia's auto-attack changing function to a do-nothing function. It's not even worth posting a diff because it's such a hack job, but it works well enough.

slyz

Developer
I never had much trouble with Mafia setting the autoattack - maybe that's because I only use CCSs when I automate turns during a run (Mafia disables auto-attack when a CCS is used).

So I go into my account menu, and I turn it off. I enter combat (relay browser, now). Hey, autoattack is back on!

Does Mafia actually print something in the gCLI about turning on auto-attack when you start a fight in the Relay Browser? I never noticed this behavior (again, my Action is almost always set to CCS).

I guess a solution would be for Mafia to track your auto-attack setting: an autoattack preference that is set to whatever your account setting is when you log on, and that is updated when you go in your account to change the setting or when you use the CLI autoattack command.

When turns are automated, it would change the auto-attack as usual and revert back to the original one when automation ends, or before a Relay Browser adventure (in case an abort occurs during automation). This would mean storing the current auto-attack, and change back when it doesn't match the stored preference.

The problem with this is making the difference between the user changing the auto-attack (the autoattack preference should be updated) and when the auto-attack is set temporarily by Mafia (the preference shouldn't be changed).

jasonharper

Developer
I've asked CDM for some way to request, on the initial page load of a fight, that the autoattack be suppressed. That would completely eliminate any need for mafia to ever change your autoattack, as it could simply ignore it when autoadventuring. Unfortunately, no response yet...

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I've asked CDM for some way to request, on the initial page load of a fight, that the autoattack be suppressed. That would completely eliminate any need for mafia to ever change your autoattack, as it could simply ignore it when autoadventuring. Unfortunately, no response yet...

Would this feature be something that can be turned off, so that, for example, entangling noodles can still auto-fire against spooky putty monsters?

Winterbay

Why would you need that if your macro/CCS starts out with a "entangling noodles"? In that case the generated macro would entangle the monster automatically anyway no matter your autoattack setting.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Why would you need that if your macro/CCS starts out with a "entangling noodles"? In that case the generated macro would entangle the monster automatically anyway no matter your autoattack setting.

What macro? I'm talking about manually adventuring in the relay browser. No CCS, no macro. Mafia turns off auto-attack to protect the user, with no way to tell mafia otherwise. This is what prompted me to gut the mafia function responsible for changing auto-attack.

Winterbay

True, but if I understood jason correctly he wanted the generated macro from the CCS to suppress the autoattack setting but not change it. This would mean that mafia would never change your setting to something other than what you already have.

NardoLoopa

What is mafia trying to accomplish by fiddling with autoattack? One less page-load?

(note: I've had problems both ways -- with Mafia enabling or separately, Mafia disabling autoattack when I didn't want it to)

anOtherGrendel

Mafia sets auto-attack - the WRONG way

Maffia set auto attack. Without any notice that is has!
When you change combat settings its does NOT change it to the new desired result.

Not setting it ever is better than leaving it set wrong.

If you want to reduce server load check if the current auto attack is correct needs to be done every round.

I just checked, the handling of auto attack is inconsistent. Why not just not do it, period.

Bale

Minion
We've been getting a lot more of this recently. Perhaps because people want to set a macro as auto-attack. That's a good thing to do, so it's a shame mafia makes it hard.

slyz

Developer
The behavior I have observed is simple:
  • If you are adventuring in the Relay Browser, Mafia will not change your auto-attack (except when you use a BRICKO monster or a putty monster, in which case it always disables the auto-attack).
  • If you are automating, and your Action is set to a CCS, your auto-attack is disabled.
  • If you are automating, and your Action is set to a specific action, your auto-attack is enabled and set depending on what you have set in the Special section (pickpocket if your moxie is high enough, noodles, or the Action)

Bump.

Anything on this? It's getting really out of control. Sometimes you simply CANNOT have your own auto-attack, mafia ALWAYS sets it for you, no matter what. Especially bothersome when you try to have your auto-attack as a macro, and mafia decides that that's not what it should be doing.

VinnyB

I'm basically having the opposite problem: I don't want mafia to keeps turning OFF autoattack for spooky putty, 4-d cameras, BRICKO fights, black pudding, dolphin whistles, etc. Could this safety measure be made a preference which can be disabled?