Bug - Fixed Demon Names

omgholycrap

For some reason Mafia isnt remembering my demon names. I just unlocked the sinister tablet name and I use the meat drop bonus demon name all the time. How do i get mafia to fix this?

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
The settings are demonName1 through demonName10, with 2 being the meat demon and 9 coming from the tablet (use "demons" to see them all). You can "set demonName2 = whatever" to add that back to mafia if you have it recorded somewhere else. There's no good reason mafia should have forgotten them though. Did mafia lose track of anything else?

omgholycrap

Not that I'm aware of. Its just a pain having to enter it in myself >.< I thought by now this bug would be fixed (after looking at other posts and realizing that this is a duplicate topic)

jwylot

Does mafia record demon names if they were acquired outside of mafia? If I remember correctly, it doesn't but adding the names in the gCLI as suggested by lostcalpolydude is an easy fix. I don't think this is a bug.

Darzil

Developer
Is this a request for Mafia to pick up Demon names from using them, rather than from learning them, perhaps?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Is this a request for Mafia to pick up Demon names from using them, rather than from learning them, perhaps?
That used to work. AdventureRequest.demons includes a "tell-tale string" for each demon that is found in the text you get when you summon a demon. And there is code to search for such strings in AdventureResult.registerDemonName(). Unfortunately, that method got changed at some point such that that code will never execute any more.

Ruby Eyes

Was there any good reason for this? Because I did find it a nice and easy way to tell mafia my demon names one by one, just summoning them ...

Bale

Minion
It seems that Veracity just fixed that code to allow Mafia to recognize demon names one by one, just by summoning them. In r9746.

Please let us know if that worked.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Ruby Eyes said:
Was there any good reason for this? Because I did find it a nice and easy way to tell mafia my demon names one by one, just summoning them
You are asking me if there was a "good reason" for accidentally breaking existing code?
Is there EVER a "good reason" for inserting a bug?

Ruby Eyes

Yes - when inserting new code :) Doing things like this way too often, too, just with different kind of software :D
But sometimes we also have to temporarily disable features in order to get other things in that are demanded by customers. Sad, but true ...

(Strange - I tried to delete my post when I saw your fix in the SVN, but that didn't work it seems.)

Orbrisa

I was under the impression that that code still executed? At least, it seems to have when I recently summoned a demon.

Mafia used to know all my demon names, but has forgotten some over time. I haven't made a full survey, but some of this can be seen in my BCC snapshots. (These are direct links to the demon names section.)

25 April 2011 - pie demon known, strange cube demon known
22 August 2011 - pie demon and strange cube demons not known
25 August 2011 - Sonofa Beach demon name known when it wasn't previously - I summoned it during a Fistcore run

IIRC, Mafia used to know all my demon names. (They're also stored in my quest log, so this is not a particularly big deal for me, just odd.) These snapshots were all generated by running the script on the same computer.

Right now I'm using build 9744. I usually copy relevant folders (scripts, settings, ccs) and install new builds in a new directory, so I can probably figure out which builds I was running at the time when various snapshots were generated, if it will be helpful. I'm not at all sure these are useful data points, but in the event that they are, well, here you go. And if not, sorry for cluttering up the thread. :)

Theraze

If you're copying files around, when a name is forgotten, you probably forgot to copy the settings file... or deleted it to go back to default settings... or copied it while mafia was running... or something else that would cause the preferences for your character to go away. In most cases where people complain about this occurring without the whole 'new folder... what happened!' thing, it's usually when they're running multiple characters at the same time.

Orbrisa

If I forgot to copy something wouldn't I be missing entire swathes of information, not just demon names? Like, preferences all wrong? When I change versions of Mafia I'm pretty careful to close the old one before doing the copy and paste. Of course I can't swear that I never made a mistake ...

Ruby - I don't know about always, but the snapshot script hasn't been updated in a while IIRC. Certainly not between the 22nd and the 25th of this month. :) (Or at least, if it has, I missed the notification.)

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I was under the impression that that code still executed? At least, it seems to have when I recently summoned a demon.
Well, looking harder at the previous code, I do think it should have worked - but it was unclear from the structure. My recent submit should make it easier to understand:

Code:
for all known demons
    if you can find a demon in the current location
       if you found the "new demon" message
            remember that we found demon # x

if you didn't find a new demon and you are in the Summoning Chamber
    for all known demons
        if we recognize the text for summoning this demon
            remember that we summoned demon #x

if we found a demon and the name is different than we had stored
    log the demon name
    save the demon name in the appropriate setting.

Previously, the second loop was embedded in the first loop when we were looking at the Summoning Chamber demon. Confusing.

Mafia used to know all my demon names, but has forgotten some over time.
The only way I can see Mafia "forgetting" a name - i.e., replacing the name in the preferences file with "" - is if you try to summon "" and we somehow thought the response text matched that of demon # x. I don't believe it. I suppose I could try it. I, too, keep my demon names in my quest log as backup...

Right now I'm using build 9744.
Nothing has changed - ever - to make it more likely - or even possible - for mafia to selectively "forget" demon names.

If you don't copy settings files to new installations (on Windows), you will obviously lose your demons.
If you run multiple characters at once, you can corrupt your GLOBAL settings, but your per-character settings - like demons - should be unaffected.

I have no clue as to why Mafia would ever "forget" a demon name. It has never done so for me or any of my multis. Never, ever, over all the years since we started saving demon names. I still keep them in my quest log - just in case - but I have never needed the insurance.

Orbrisa

I could easily believe it was user error of some kind on my part, rather than a problem with Mafia. Thanks for looking at this, though.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Mafia can recognize demon names when you summon them (just verified to be sure) and the part about mafia forgetting demon names is either user error or unreproducible, so I'll mark this Fixed.