Definition of conditional drop according to mafia

Winterbay

I've been running around in the sea for a while with my farming multi and I'm a bit confused over what Mafia lables as a "conditional" drop.

The things you need to talk to Grand-Pa in order for them to drop are labeled as conditional, which is fair enough, but the thigns in the Briniest Deepest that you need to have fishbreath active for aren't.

Is there a design idea behind this that I'm missing?

Also, in terms of definition I think most things in the sea are conditionals of the type "cannot be pickpocketed/yellowrayed", but I can see how adding that to all the drops would be annoying.

Theraze

There's a reason why you're confused... Conditionals mean different things, in different places. Need to be a specific level to have something drop? Conditional! Need to be on a quest to have something drop? Conditional! Need to have finished a prior quest to have something drop? Conditional!

xKiv

I suspect Winterbay knows that, and is noting that mafia doesn't have some of those marked as conditional drops (in monsters.txt) even though they are conditional in the game (I just looked at shark cartilage).

Theraze

For stuff that just can't be pickpocketted... you can use the 'n' value for no pickpocket. Conditional means something has to be there...

If fishbreath needs to be active, it should get 'c'. If you have to be a specific level, 'c'. If you just can't steal it, 'n'.

Winterbay

From the Wiki:
Note: The eel battery will only drop if you have fishbreath.
Note: The shark cartilage will only drop if you have fishbreath
Note: The temporary teardrop tattoo will only drop if you have fishbreath.

That is all from monsters in the Briniest Deepest (also the only ones affected by fishbreath)

Theraze

Okay... all 3 marked conditional in my copy. If/when scaling monster base code gets approved, I'll submit it along with the other monster updates, like having CLEESHed monsters unaffected by ML.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
The things you need to talk to Grand-Pa in order for them to drop are labeled as conditional, which is fair enough, but the thigns in the Briniest Deepest that you need to have fishbreath active for aren't.

Is there a design idea behind this that I'm missing?
No. If an item is conditional but Mafia doesn't have it tagged as such, that's a bug.

Winterbay

No. If an item is conditional but Mafia doesn't have it tagged as such, that's a bug.

Thanks for that confirmation. I was weary of starting a bug report if there was a good reason for it not to be the way I thought it should be :)

It would be perfect if there was a way to discern from the monster_drop_array() in what way it is condition so that you can check if you fulfil it without having to hardcode all the examples. But I guess that is a feature request, so 1 bug report and 1 feature request. I should perhaps go and post those up for consideration...