Feature - Implemented daily deeds revamp [patch]

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I don't suppose "get a higher resolution monitor" is an acceptable solution? :)

I will accept any and all contributions towards a new laptop.

It is true that there are a few known Java bugs that deal with scrolling so a practical solution may be somewhat kludgy. In this particular case I might accept Help popping up a relay browser pointed to a Wiki page with the same information as an alternative.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Subversion has support to correctly handle all of this automatically. Any reason why the committers don't use svn:eol-style set as native?

https://www.opends.org/wiki/page/ConfiguringSubversionToSetTheCorrectEndOfLineFormat

That's what I thought. We probably need to find instructions so that it is properly configured when people use Eclipse and NetBeans. Same for TortiseSVN. I think CollabNet's client is behind NetBeans but the joy of an Integrated Development Environment is that I don't have to know how do deal with the underlying components. Your link, while helpful, doesn't seem to reference config files that I can find easily on my system.

roippi

Developer

Thanks.

It is true that there are a few known Java bugs that deal with scrolling so a practical solution may be somewhat kludgy. In this particular case I might accept Help popping up a relay browser pointed to a Wiki page with the same information as an alternative.

Oh wow I just noticed that somebody had already added a page on this prior to the patch even being committed.

You know, a link to the wiki might actually be best; you can't leave the help text open while you're working on something else, it's more likely to be out-of-date, and it's just clunkier than a browser interface...

I've got a patch here that drops the help text into a JScrollPane, and it works okay, but I won't even post it up if we decide that a link to the wiki is superior. I think it is.

Edit: Winterbay, I haven't forgotten about the bug you hit with the card selector, but I too am at a loss for what caused it. Your debug log confirms that it was something in CardLayoutSelectorPanel that went wrong, but it's hard to figure out what without the ability to reproduce.

Last edited:

fianor

While we're playing around with the daily deeds can we repair some things and add 1 more ability to this customization.

Ability to add) put multiple buttons on the same line .. i.e. breakfast, daily dungeon & use the legendary beat all on the same line, much like we can now re-order the buttons vertically, just also be able to compact this pane by putting some beside each other.

Fixes) make the current deeds all the same.
a) pool table buttons, concert buttons & friar buttons match
b) april showers & summoning chamber match
c) skates are a style of their own

"Class a" gives descriptions on hover, showers tell you what it does instead of it's name, demons are named and give description on hover, skates list their description out beside them. Can we please pick a style and make them all the same? My personal preference is to make them all like april showers. I don't really care what the actual name is, just what it does, perhaps hover the actual name, basically the reverse of how summoning chambers are now.

Also can the multi-use buttons (i.e. - hottub, nuns) have their counts on the button instead of beside it? Only matters if we can implement the multiple buttons per line feature.

Perhaps a pulldown like april showers for the mad tea party?

[edit]
anyone already added GApants super abilities as a custom button yet? if so, mind sharing?
[/edit]

Last edited:

roippi

Developer
Ability to add) put multiple buttons on the same line .. i.e. breakfast, daily dungeon & use the legendary beat all on the same line, much like we can now re-order the buttons vertically, just also be able to compact this pane by putting some beside each other.

Well, I too would like this. Unfortunately it's enormously difficult to implement technically, due to the way the BoxLayoutManager works. I don't even know where you would start... maybe a keyword that indicates that the next deed should go on the same line as the last one? I have to say up front that I will probably not implement this.

Fixes) make the current deeds all the same.
a) pool table buttons, concert buttons & friar buttons match
b) april showers & summoning chamber match
c) skates are a style of their own

"Class a" gives descriptions on hover, showers tell you what it does instead of it's name, demons are named and give description on hover, skates list their description out beside them. Can we please pick a style and make them all the same? My personal preference is to make them all like april showers. I don't really care what the actual name is, just what it does, perhaps hover the actual name, basically the reverse of how summoning chambers are now.

Problem here (at least between a and b) is that it's very much a matter of taste. Some people like style a) and some people like style b). If I changed everything to style b) (which would not be difficult at this point), there would be a shitstorm over on GD. And, frankly, they might have a point, whereas I ignored the complaints about switching shower/summons. Collapsing the shower and summons down into a combobox reduced the vertical height of daily deeds. Collapsing the others would not, and would just add clicks.

So, I won't say "no" to that one, but I'd need to conclusively see that more people would prefer b) over a). Heck, I might prefer a) myself.

Addressing c): the only time I've seen the skate deeds are when I hacked the source code to always display them. I've never done the sea to completion. When I mentioned "hey, should I give the combobox treatment to skate deeds?" over in the DD discussion thread, I was met with crickets; I think the user base of that particular deed is rather small.

That's not a "no," that's just a "that is very low priority for me."

fianor

Well, I too would like this. Unfortunately it's enormously difficult to implement technically, due to the way the BoxLayoutManager works. I don't even know where you would start... maybe a keyword that indicates that the next deed should go on the same line as the last one? I have to say up front that I will probably not implement this.

Ah well, would be awful nice to save the space, I've never programmed in a language that made it hard to do, so I thought I would ask. I have no clue how to do it in java or I'd be all over the code trying to fix this stuff myself.

Problem here (at least between a and b) is that it's very much a matter of taste. Some people like style a) and some people like style b). If I changed everything to style b) (which would not be difficult at this point), there would be a shitstorm over on GD. And, frankly, they might have a point, whereas I ignored the complaints about switching shower/summons. Collapsing the shower and summons down into a combobox reduced the vertical height of daily deeds. Collapsing the others would not, and would just add clicks.

So, I won't say "no" to that one, but I'd need to conclusively see that more people would prefer b) over a). Heck, I might prefer a) myself.

Addressing c): the only time I've seen the skate deeds are when I hacked the source code to always display them. I've never done the sea to completion. When I mentioned "hey, should I give the combobox treatment to skate deeds?" over in the DD discussion thread, I was met with crickets; I think the user base of that particular deed is rather small.

That's not a "no," that's just a "that is very low priority for me."

Style b is simply my preference, however I do think it's important that SOME style is chosen and all of them match. The skates currently take up far to much space as april showers and summoning both would as separate buttons. Saving space I think is important, but uniformity of functionality is critical in any program. I like style b mostly because it allows for the uniformity while taking up the least amount of space. Just my opinion on the subject.

As for making "everyone" happy, could we just have 2 choices in the daily deeds preference panel for each of these? That way we can drag either style A or style B into our panel? Or perhaps just a checkbox that makes them all one style or the other? Again I'm not sure how hard what I'm asking for is to do, but don't see the harm in asking.

roippi

Developer
[edit]
anyone already added GApants super abilities as a custom button yet? if so, mind sharing?
[/edit]

Just saw this. I'd do it as a MultiPref:

$CUSTOM:|MultiPref|GAP Super Skill|_gapBuffs|equip greatampant; gap skill|5

(or whichever buff you'd prefer, you get the idea)

If you don't want to manually splice that onto your dailyDeedsOptions preference, just use the builder with those arguments.

Turias

That's what I thought. We probably need to find instructions so that it is properly configured when people use Eclipse and NetBeans. Same for TortiseSVN. I think CollabNet's client is behind NetBeans but the joy of an Integrated Development Environment is that I don't have to know how do deal with the underlying components. Your link, while helpful, doesn't seem to reference config files that I can find easily on my system.

Unfortunately since a lot of these different systems ship their own svn binaries the location of the config file changes depending on what you are using. For OS X and Linux, you want ~/.subversion/config. For tortoisesvn, you want to edit the subversion configuration file as described here. Similarly, I assume that the Eclipse/Subclipse/NetBeans configuration windows should have links to editing the subversion configuration file.