Dad Sea Monkee

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Anybody here visited him yet? If so, could you capture the HTML of the page where you first see him and post it here, please?

Thanks.

Darzil

Developer
Have visited him enough to get the factoids. Wasn't planning to visit him again for at least four ascensions, but might do so if no one else posts soon.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Thanks. I'm writing a solver. I want to extract the clues directly from the page, rather than requiring you to enter them in, as the spreadsheets require. Seem simpler. :)

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
That's an interesting script, but it does its extraction of the various clues by munging the text a bunch of times and then looking for word #14, word #16, and so on. I would rather extract the 10 clues with a regular expression and a single pattern match.

(Now, if I didn't already have cannonfire's spread sheet to look at, that script would give me the options for all the clues and how they map to elements, but I had it, and I knew that already.)

Thanks for the pointer.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Revision 12255 adds a solver for this. Untested with actual game HTML; I hand-crafted some text, based on what I saw in the Wiki, and using "test load dad.txt" and "test dad", confirmed that I got the same answers as cannonfire's spreadsheet.

I'd still like to see actual page HTML so I can test my regexp on it. I'll get to Dad within a month, but I am SURE others will be there before then. :)

We supposedly "solve" the puzzle when we see round 0 of the Dad Sea Monkee fight. There is a "dad" command which prints the solution. I suppose eventually - after I've been through it once - I could make it set the "skill" dropdown of the fight page to auto-select the appropriate Hobopolis spell for you, based on round number.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I have to go six times down the Gladiator Path before I can begin the run that will culminate in my seeing Dad for the first time, and I only do Hardcore, so it will take me rather longer than that. My original plan was to do TWO cycles through both the Scholars and the Gladiators, so that when I craft my Clothing, I will still have both of the component outfits left, but I think I will not have the patience to do that; I'll do Dad at least once or thrice before doing the extra pair of cycles to rebuild the other two outfits.

http://pastebin.com/MwdyzEwe is the html of my attempt just now.

"Encounter: Dad Sea Monkee
Unexpected error, debug log printed.

> dad

Round 1: hot (Awesome Balls of Fire)
Round 2: sleaze (Grease Lightning)
Round 3: physical (Toynado)
Round 4: none ()
Round 5: none ()
Round 6: cold (Snowclone)
Round 7: stench (Eggsplosion)
Round 8: spooky (Raise Backup Dancer)
Round 9: none ()
Round 10: none ()" is what I got from the CLI.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Outstanding! Thanks!

As it turns out, you gave me an example with an extra "The" in the text. I notice that Lightwolf's script skips that. So does mine, now. Revision 12259.

> test load dad3.html

Read 6,780 bytes

> test dad

Round 1: hot (Awesome Balls of Fire)
Round 2: sleaze (Grease Lightning)
Round 3: physical (Toynado)
Round 4: cold (Snowclone)
Round 5: sleaze (Grease Lightning)
Round 7: stench (Eggsplosion)
Round 9: hot (Awesome Balls of Fire)
Round 10: physical (Toynado)
And thank you for your forum post and your spreadsheet, without which none of this would be possible. :)

I found another thing that breaks it. Pastebin of fight HTML: http://pastebin.com/t1GY4SaY

Encounter: Dad Sea Monkee

> dad

Round 1: cold (Snowclone)
Round 2: physical (Toynado)
Round 3: hot (Awesome Balls of Fire)
Round 4: none ()
Round 5: spooky (Raise Backup Dancer)
Round 7: sleaze (Grease Lightning)
Round 9: none ()
Round 10: none ()

(Sorry, "cracks" is actually "cracks open" :p)

and "void is "The void" if it's relevant.

And you're very welcome! :)

Last edited:

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I got
Code:
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
             KoLmafia v16.0, Windows 7, Java 1.7.0_21
 Please note: do not post this log in the KoLmafia thread. If you
 would like the dev team to look at it, please write a bug report
 at kolmafia.us. Include specific information about what you were 
 doing when you made this and include the log as an attachment.
 Timestamp: Sun Jul 07 00:09:48 CDT 2013

class java.lang.NullPointerException: null
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.session.DadManager.unusedElement(DadManager.java:274)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.session.DadManager.solve(DadManager.java:376)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.FightRequest.updateCombatData(FightRequest.java:1791)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.processResponse(GenericRequest.java:2164)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.retrieveServerReply(GenericRequest.java:2106)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.retrieveServerReply(GenericRequest.java:1764)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.execute(GenericRequest.java:1450)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.run(GenericRequest.java:1343)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.RelayRequest.run(RelayRequest.java:2000)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.RequestThread.postRequest(RequestThread.java:222)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.RequestThread.postRequest(RequestThread.java:185)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.webui.RelayAgent.readServerResponse(RelayAgent.java:526)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.webui.RelayAgent.performRelay(RelayAgent.java:158)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.webui.RelayAgent.run(RelayAgent.java:131)
when I tried fighting dad. The line number in DadManager is off because I have the unused imports removed, but it refers to
Code:
switch ( ElementalWeakness[ i ] )

The relevant text from the page is
Code:
You shake your head and look above the tank, at the window into space. Pulpy forms float in the darkness, each more bloated than the last. The void shimmers, suddenly revealing 4-dimensional monstrosities.<p>No.  Look again.  There is nothing. Are your memories betraying you? As if on cue, 13-sided triangles materialize and then disappear. So impossible that your head throbs.<p>You have to end this.