Bug - Fixed Counters appearing in weird places...

jasonharper

Developer
It works better if you set your KoL account preferences to put the familiar above the effects.

I'm not saying that this is a bug unworthy of being fixed properly, I'm just saying that there's a fix available right now...

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I'll also comment that I had this bug on my personal bug list and spent a couple of hours five months ago or so studying it, and I was unable to see HOW to fix this.

Not to say it's unfixable, but it's not easy - and I decided it was not worth further effort.

It works better if you set your KoL account preferences to put the familiar above the effects.

I'm not saying that this is a bug unworthy of being fixed properly, I'm just saying that there's a fix available right now...

I tried this just now (yes, it took a while, I kept forgetting), and it looked exactly the same either way. My only "effect" was the cookie counter.

Casting Disco Aerobics made it look right with my familiar above the effects, though.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Familiar above effects, compact charpane, displaying the progress bar for familiar xp, and having no non-intrinsic effects active means that mafia replaces the familiar progress bar with counters/intrinsic effects. I mostly notice this with a greasemonkey script of mine that turns the progress bars into numbers, since it replaces the counters/intrinsics that mafia adds to the page there.

stannius

Relay charpane rearranges with no effects

1) Set a mood
Have no effects, but except intrinsic effects (don't know what happens without them)
Fortune cookie counter set
In KOL options, "show familiar experience progress bar" is on
2) Open relay browser

Result:
Fortune cookie counter moves up and becomes part of the familiar experience bar. Line separating intrinsic (infinite) effects from mood effects disappears.

This is really low priority, of course.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
You also have to use compact mode. I'll merge this with my ancient report about it, if I can find it (it might have been long enough ago that it got nuked with a forum upgrade).

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Apparently, no dev has found it interesting or important enough to fix, but it's still a bug. Leave it - or fix it. :)

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
This becomes more interesting now that we have Avatar of Boris: with no familiars but with Clancy, if you have no effects active, counters get inserted in even weirder places - after the first "last location" and before the subsequent ones.

This is not the identical issue as this bug, but the root cause is the same: Counters need to go into the list of Effects, and only there - and if you have no Effects, we need to make a dummy Effects section to hold them and put it into the right place.

Fix that, and we fix Avatar of Boris and this bug report as well, I think.

Bale

Minion
I've found that it is quite common to have no effects as an Avatar of Boris so I'm seeing it a lot more frequently now.