Contest: Name my upcoming combat script!

Which is the best name for Zarqon's upcoming combat consult script?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tgetgel

heh, IDKFA was the code in DOOM to get all weapons/full ammo.

Man I feel old.

I still have it loaded on my machine. The next generation is playing it!

IDKFA ID (from ID Software) Keys Firearms Armor

DOOM = Destruction and Obliteration Operating Magically! (or Majestically)

halfvoid

Is it the 12th yet? I know i'm not gonna win, i just want to see this behemoth of a script.

BEHEMOTH - Beguiling Every Human, Even Mark, of The Hills

Bale

Minion
I think that BatMan is the clear winner, and it deserves it. I'm just glad my entry isn't in the bottom three losers.

zarqon

Halfvoid, it would appear that you have been punk'd.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure I'll have it done by the 12th. I've had various things taking more of my time, and I keep running into more and more stumbling blocks -- the issue of which in-combat ML adjusters mafia tracks is a big one, and still an unknown. I will try to at least have a test script up that people can play with for debugging purposes, but at present I wouldn't expect a fully operational script on the 12th. You can, however, expect the stunning conclusion of the naming contest!

And I guess you've all given up on the MMSSKSK thing. I'll explain that on the 12th too if no one's figured it out by then.

slyz

Developer
Looks like Win The Fight isn't going to catch up. If I could recast my vote, I would go with Third Things Third now though.

zarqon

The contest is at its close! Those of you who have been sitting on the edges of your seats, you may now nestle comfortably back into the middles. Those of you who have been holding your breaths, you may resume breathing, and please try to make the most of your remaining brain cells. Those of you who have merely been waiting with bated breath, you may stop bating at any time. It's results time!

And the winning name is...

BatMan

Congratulations xKiv for submitting this most excellent name! Other than the fact that the abbreviation is BM, it is excellent in all regards. Thus, sage xKiv, do you get to fight monsters wielding any of a complete set of Underworld weaponry! Congratulations also to the other seven people who submitted superb names and made it into the final poll. 100K per name will be on its way soon.

Not immediately, though, because I forgot to get this info first: xKiv, slyz, halfvoid, Rinn, Seventh, aqualectrix, tgetgel, Bale, and bumcheekcity -- I'm going to look for these IGN's for sending contest rewards. If you'd prefer the reward to go to a different account, PM me in forum by next weekend, otherwise any undirected prizes will go to those names.

How's It Coming Z?

I hear you. "So where's BatMan?" you're saying. Rather petulantly, I might add. You sound a lot like Commissioner Gordon.

While I do have quite a few (valid) excuses I could list here for you, I'm sure nobody really wants to read about my schedule or the scripting dilemmas I kept coming across (and still face, to some extent) while scripting this. But trust me, I've been working on this in most of my free moments for quite a while, and it's taking shape. I'm to the point where I've got all the information the script needs accessible, loaded, and in a common data structure. You have no idea how big a task that was.

From here on out, it's the fun part -- building and sorting options, testing, tweaking, etc. It's getting exciting. I promise that once I get to the testing stage I'll release a prototype for you to play with, and for you to help find errors and corner cases. At the current rate, that's looking like another week. This weekend is a long weekend (national holiday in Korea), and I'm going out of town for it, so I'm pretty sure no significant coding will be accomplished until next weekend.

Can You Cruelly Taunt Us Some More?

Ok! Let me also mention that in writing this, bits of functionality keep creeping back up the script tree, as far up as ZLib (the new goal functions there came about due to writing this script, actually), and in the process both FTF and SS have seen some useful improvements.

• FTF will calculate the value of the monster you're fighting, which will be used to determine the profit of defeating the monster, or the cost of running away/losing.
  • If FTF detects that you steal an item, it will deduct the value of that item from the monster.
  • SS will also skip that item when deciding whether or not to cast Concentration.
  • The Concentration decision will be sensitive to items that contain goals.
  • Olfacting for goals will be sensitive to items that contain goals.
  • FTF will calculate ML in a flexible way, even for unknown monsters, which means that as ML is lowered in combat, intheclear() may change and you may be able to start stasising.
  • Awareness of stunned monsters will be part of FTF's intheclear().
  • SS's calculated familiar incomes will be added directly to a base adventure event, which will be used by BatMan in calculating the profit/cost of a single round of combat, and the entire fight.

This is just a handful of changes that have made their way up the tree into the other scripts. But the final script will not be without its share of juicy features too.

• It includes every available combat option, from your regular attack to jiggling chefstaves to combat skills (including those granted by items or effects) to combat items (even every combination of available items, if you have Funkslinging), even running away.
  • All known (non-boss) monster resistances, including physical, are factored into the calculated damage of every combat option, in addition to remaining monster HP. Eventually, I hope to include bosses as well.
  • Player resistances are factored into expected monster damage, including when you have an elemental form.
  • Items/effects that give retaliation damage/stunning/deleveling are factored in.

...to mention a few. I'm ridiculously curious to build and sort the options list and see what it says I should do! Once I have it giving generally good advice, I'll release the prototype, which no doubt will come with a fair bit of disclaimers for things not yet supported. But I don't doubt that you all will be full of good ideas for improving it, as you have been with FTF and SS. I look forward to your suggestions as well.

Sigh... OK, Enough Taunting

Very well. I will leave you with the explanation to MMSSKSK.

This, like my consult script suite, is a trilogy: MM, SS, KSK (also written KZK but that was easier to Google so I went with the less common KSK).

They are a trio of albums from the musician mentioned in the first post -- Shiina Ringo. She is a ridiculously talented songwriter, a skilled multi-instrumentalist, and also off her rocker in the way that people usually call "genius". She also, like myself and the makers of KoL, loves palindromes.

124680.jpg

The Muzai Moratorium album (MM) is her stunning debut, which changed the face of JRock/JPop in a market dominated by soundalikes and copycats.

The Shouso Strip album (SS, in the middle, like another SS we're familiar with) is 55:55 long, and cemented her reputation as the Queen of JRock.

The Karuki Samen Kuri no Hana album (KSK, the grand finale, like BatMan) is 44:44 long, with 11 tracks, and the track names (which are written in ancient Japanese) are also symmetrical (which is possible in Japanese). Further, the 1st track and the 11th track share thematic material, as do the 2nd and 10th, 3rd and 9th, and so on. The central track is unique and is the pivot on which the album turns back the way it came.

After making KSK, she put her solo career on hold. She seemed to feel that it was a sort of magnum opus, after which she had to move on to something new. Certainly, to my thinking, it is one of the best albums ever recorded. She has since released more fantastic solo albums in an entirely different bent, but after KSK her fans were left waiting for quite a few years before anything else came out with the Shiina Ringo name on it. So most of us fans view MM-SS-KSK as the original Shiina Ringo trilogy, culminating in the magnificent, pretentious, dense masterwork that is KSK.

Something for this script suite to ascribe to. :)

halfvoid

Halfvoid's my IGN as well. Thats fine. I'm stoked about this script coming soon! Also, just got my spooky putty so i'm interested in seeing how it works with all the scripts i've already been using.

slyz

Developer
I'm glad to see how this is coming along =)

Just a question, as an HC ascender: will BatMan noodlebutt his way out of fights ? I know FTF will take care of the noodles part, but are shieldbutt/talon slashes considered when it turns out you can't hit?

xKiv

Holy bat, man! I actually won something by using my brain =)
Is it too selfish of me to now kind of wish that the acorn turns out to be "only" a familiar and not a complete loop?

Also, yes, SNIG.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Is it too selfish of me to now kind of wish that the acorn turns out to be "only" a familiar and not a complete loop?
[threadjack] One of the radio shows stated that the acorn thingy won't be a full loop.

And, uhm, long weekend have anything to do with lunar new year? [/threadjack]

Back to the thread... noodling when unsafe isn't always be the best option -- if you can one-hit the monster (or, in extreme cases, if damage*_meatperhp < 3*_meatpermp), it'll be cheaper to just kill the monster. So we might not want FTF to take care of this automatically.

I'd guess that shieldbutt/talon slash would be treated as any other spell (with auto-hit status), assuming that you fulfill the conditions. Enough MP to cast is already taken care of in try_skill in FTF, and other conditions should be fairly trivial to check (e.g. (item_type(equipped_item($slot[offhand]))=="shield") for shieldbutt). Although I don't know if this would register mid-combat... checking... And it does. Okay.

Last edited:

zarqon

I'll send out prizes for people who have already given me their IGN's today!

More Teasers

This script will be profit-driven; every possible action will be reduced to a meat value. Killing the monster is of course the most profitable action, but if you can reduce or prevent monster attacks along the way that might be more profitable, depending on the cost of the skills/items needed.

The combinations (like noodlebutting) present the biggest hurdle at the moment -- at present it looks like it will first find your best monster-killing option, and then check if the combat would be more profitable by inserting other non-killing options in front of it. Since the options are re-formulated every round, this means you would have a very flexible system.

Further Calls for Help

I'd like some help brainstorming the special cases. My goal is for BatMan to eventually work for everything other than your shadow. (Also, BatMan has to know everything... because it's BatMan.)

1) Boss special abilities. Right now, it already detects Mother Slime's adapting resistances. I'd like to know of any other special monster mechanics, and I know there are plenty. Don't bother with El Vibrato punchcard stuff for now, though; that's a mess for later.

2) Things that block or limit item/skill use. I've included Temporary Amnesia, Black Cat, and facing the NS/Bonerdagon. Anything else?

3) Which monsters can always hit you? Gremlins. What else? And do they hit following the regular damage formula? And what's the deal with hobos? I'm ready to add the special cases to my monster_damage() function.

4) Another hurdle I'm anticipating is limited-use items like Zombo's eye. I have a feeling this script will have a problem with those, but don't know exactly until I'm able to test its sorting algorithm. What are the daily-limited in-combat actions? They're limited because they're otherwise overpowered, so the script needs to know about them.

Note: I should mention that this script will be far more accurate in its assessment of values if you are using Bale's Universal Recovery script, which calculates the meat-per-MP and meat-per-HP values which this script will use to assess the cost of skills (including restoring skills -- you may have more cost-effective restoration in combat!) and player damage.

@heeheehee: Yes, in Korea we had Monday off for lunar new year's -- traveled with friends to a temple in the mountains, no internet access, very cold, came back tired, etc. Somehow, it was still good times!